Old 10-31-2018, 10:25 AM
Gilbert Han
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default LED DRL, Clutch and rotor/ brake question

Hi all! Thanks for reading!

I am looking for right one for LED DRL, clutch and rotor

1. LED DRL
- do you have any recommendation under $300 for this? I want to hear your experience whether you got any warning light or problem. If you have one and enjoying currently, could you share the link? I could find many styles such as normal one, sequencial one or turbo style one. But it is hard to make a decision which one I should go for.

2. Clutch
- I am buying clutch and I can lots of different after market product. Are those worth it?

3. Disk Rotor and brake pad
- Do you have any recommendation on those product? I could find many after market product which is much cheaper. What's you guys though on that?

Thanks a lot!!
Old 10-31-2018, 03:40 PM
shyamvenky
Burning Brakes

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

Here are my 2 cents
1) I currently have the "standard" LED DRL and it's been on for a few months now. I got it off eBay for $220. That's around the cheapest price I see online now.
The newer style ones with a "light pipe" are more expensive probably. I don't think any of these would raise an error/warning - mine definitely hasn't. It's all up to your taste.
Also, I'm planning to put the stock ones back on the car. I could sell the LED ones to you for $150 shipped, OBO.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Front-DRL-L...S!-1:rk:3:pf:0

2) When the clutch went out on my old 997, I just bought the "standard" Sachs clutch kit. I didn't go for any sport or race clutch since I don't track and didn't want a touch-n-go clutch with the traffic here.

3) I'm going to need to replace the front rotors and pads soon on my car and I'm planning to go with Hawk HPS pads - the ones that don't give a lot of dust.
I've heard good things about the Hawk Ceramic as well as Pagid. Any of these should be as good as or better than OEM.
I was hoping to search through the forums to find out more about rotors myself before I order parts
Old 11-01-2018, 10:33 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,597 Likes on 4,195 Posts

Originally Posted by Gilbert Han
all! Thanks for reading!

I am looking for right one for LED DRL, clutch and rotor

1. LED DRL
- do you have any recommendation under $300 for this? I want to hear your experience whether you got any warning light or problem. If you have one and enjoying currently, could you share the link? I could find many styles such as normal one, sequencial one or turbo style one. But it is hard to make a decision which one I should go for.
IMO, by far, the best looking front LED are the new "turbo-style". This is what's installed on my car, but I used a current sensing DRL module with a SPDT relay to illuminate the perimeter as the DRL instead of the LED fog lights. The perimeter band on these is much, much brighter than the previous style where I was using the center horizontal fiber optic bar and one of the reasons I changed to these style lights.

2. Clutch
- I am buying clutch and I can lots of different after market product. Are those worth it?
Stay with the stock clutch. It has the best drivability and in my supercharged car is handling about 500 HP just fine. I have a Spec clutch in my supercharged 928 that is just awful from an engagement, chatter, etc perspective and although it only has about 10,000 miles on it, just ordered OEM discs to replace it with.

3. Disk Rotor and brake pad
- Do you have any recommendation on those product? I could find many after market product which is much cheaper. What's you guys though on that?
I like dba (Disc Brakes Australia) rotors and Hawk pads, prefer the Ceramic, but also use the HPS.

If you're looking to save some money on this brake job, I have a package deal for you on some lightly used 997 Carrera S Sebro slotted rear rotors (have the black E-coat to prevent rust) along with Hawk HPS pads. I have the corresponding front HPS pads so pads for all 4 corners plus dba slotted rear rotors. If interested, let me know and we'll come up with a price. but you'd be able to get these upgraded components for less than new stock ones would run you.

After cleaning the rotors in my heated, ultrasonic parts washer, I brushed them with Eastwood metal wash to prevent surface rust, which is the streaking ans spotting you see on them, but it will wipe right off since you'd be wiping them with brake cleaner after installation anyway.

Quick Reply: LED DRL, Clutch and rotor/ brake question