New Buyer Looking for Information

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2018, 08:24 AM
greanie
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Buyer Looking for Information

Good Day Folks,

Looking to purchase a 996 or 997, but i dont know where to start.
Are there any buying guides that i should look for?

And as far as pricing .. . what do you Experts use when determining value?
And which cars in your opinions will "Retain" the most value? (I know this is a loaded question and is all based on speculation . .. but i like to hear the speculative answers).

THanks for the help . . . i will continue to search the forums for some of these answers and opinions.
Old 10-11-2018, 08:34 AM
shekmark
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Your in the right place to start your research. These forums are full of anything you need to know. Simply start searching your questions and piece together your info. Once you"ve done your research, if you have a particular question that you can't find an answer to, that's a good time to re-post here. Good luck. Looking is a lot of fun!
Old 10-11-2018, 10:25 AM
swingwing
Pro

Received 93 Likes on 70 Posts

Excellence Magazine has a very nice Porsche Buyer’s Guide for $14.95. It covers all models. I also recommend a Test Drive membership with PCA, which will gets you access to contact info to members who have cars for sale.

There are plenty of cars out there; I recommend taking your time to find the right one for you. I think you’re better off buying from an enthusiast - say from Rennlister or PCA member - than from a dealer. Few car dealers are going to have any kind of maintenance records that an enthusiast seller is likely to have.

What’s your budget? Will you be a DIYer for maintaining your car or using a shop?

Last edited by swingwing; 10-11-2018 at 12:28 PM. Reason: Added sentences.
Old 10-11-2018, 05:13 PM
greanie
4th Gear

Great Questions . . . and Advice.

I have a bead on a 2009 997.2 . . . its actually what got me interested and decided to sign up for an account to post on the forum.
Lurking on this forum for about 3-5 years, and i am finally deciding to take the "Plunge"

so the 2009 911 is "Blue", and is a "Base" model (With PDK). Tan interior and was owned by someone who pampered it . . . hes still working on getting me a price, and im excited but at the same time my budget may not be what this person is looking to sell for. (Im at around $40K).

I would like to Maintain Myself . . . I have owned many "Classic" cars and have pulled engines and rebuilt and replaced, but never on a porsche.

Thoughts.
Old 10-11-2018, 05:18 PM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by greanie
Good Day Folks,

Looking to purchase a 996 or 997, but i dont know where to start.
Are there any buying guides that i should look for?

And as far as pricing .. . what do you Experts use when determining value?
And which cars in your opinions will "Retain" the most value? (I know this is a loaded question and is all based on speculation . .. but i like to hear the speculative answers).

THanks for the help . . . i will continue to search the forums for some of these answers and opinions.
For pricing, first start with the model (type of car, 996,997.1,997.2 etc), color, and major feature set. Then check vehicle history (salvage, accident without documentation of before / after repairs, etc). Then look at condition and mileage. To get a real good sense of this, you really need to see in-person + PPI from third party. The in-person part would help determine the cosmetic condition (which "may" be an indicator for overall condition, but may not be) and the PPI will help cover mechanical, at least to a point.

For model hierarchy, the used market will generally follow the new market hierarchy so for Carreras = GTS --> 4S --> 2S --> 4 --> 2. For colors, this can go a few ways, so just do your research on favored and less favored colors. Personally, I would just choose a color you like. Another big driver of long term value will be transmission type, with manual likely retaining a premium for two reasons: 1) uniqueness and 2) lower maintenance cost.

For value retention, typically the rarer the car, the more value it will retain. This also generally means the more expensive it is currently (within a given model) the more it will hold that value. Unless we are talking GT cars (GT3, GT3RS, GT2 etc) then a GTS will probably hold value best of the carreras (excluding one offs/very limited models that already cost a small fortune).

Of the 996/997 models, and again excluding non-carrera GTs, I would venture to guess that a manual GTS or 4S 997.2 would hold value best, followed by a (manual) turbo 996. I am biased towards the 4S but they are significantly rarer than the 2S variants (and you can see about 3x the listings for a 2S vs. 4S). There is a lot more to this than just the above, but it will start you in the right direction.

Having said all that, I would instead focus on current budget, your own preferences, and "close substitutes". Then when down to a few choices you would already be happy with, play the value game. Note that you typically will get what you pay for, so I would really be looking for value rather than just price.

Good luck!
Old 10-12-2018, 02:27 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,065 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by greanie
Great Questions . . . and Advice.

I have a bead on a 2009 997.2 . . . its actually what got me interested and decided to sign up for an account to post on the forum.
Lurking on this forum for about 3-5 years, and i am finally deciding to take the "Plunge"

so the 2009 911 is "Blue", and is a "Base" model (With PDK). Tan interior and was owned by someone who pampered it . . . hes still working on getting me a price, and im excited but at the same time my budget may not be what this person is looking to sell for. (Im at around $40K).

I would like to Maintain Myself . . . I have owned many "Classic" cars and have pulled engines and rebuilt and replaced, but never on a porsche.

Thoughts.
Stick with that instinct. As you probably know already, the 997.2 is a much better car than the 997.1 in a lot of ways and you can buy a base 2009 997.2 with your budget. Did a quick search on Autotrader and found a bunch of 997.2 base cars in the low $40,000 zone by dealers, some with fairly low miles too.
Old 10-12-2018, 08:58 AM
LISsailor
Rennlist Member

Received 194 Likes on 87 Posts

As you research, the best way to pinpoint answers is to put in the search bar “topic” followed by “site:Rennlist.com”.

That will pull results only from this forum. Good luck.
Old 10-12-2018, 04:57 PM
greanie
4th Gear

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by LISsailor
As you research, the best way to pinpoint answers is to put in the search bar “topic” followed by “site:Rennlist.com”.

That will pull results only from this forum. Good luck.
Thanks! . . . I like my "Google-Fu" as well.
Old 10-12-2018, 05:10 PM
greanie
4th Gear

Talking

Originally Posted by SpeedyD
For pricing, first start with the model (type of car, 996,997.1,997.2 etc), color, and major feature set. Then check vehicle history (salvage, accident without documentation of before / after repairs, etc). Then look at condition and mileage. To get a real good sense of this, you really need to see in-person + PPI from third party. The in-person part would help determine the cosmetic condition (which "may" be an indicator for overall condition, but may not be) and the PPI will help cover mechanical, at least to a point.

For model hierarchy, the used market will generally follow the new market hierarchy so for Carreras = GTS --> 4S --> 2S --> 4 --> 2. For colors, this can go a few ways, so just do your research on favored and less favored colors. Personally, I would just choose a color you like. Another big driver of long term value will be transmission type, with manual likely retaining a premium for two reasons: 1) uniqueness and 2) lower maintenance cost.

For value retention, typically the rarer the car, the more value it will retain. This also generally means the more expensive it is currently (within a given model) the more it will hold that value. Unless we are talking GT cars (GT3, GT3RS, GT2 etc) then a GTS will probably hold value best of the carreras (excluding one offs/very limited models that already cost a small fortune).

Of the 996/997 models, and again excluding non-carrera GTs, I would venture to guess that a manual GTS or 4S 997.2 would hold value best, followed by a (manual) turbo 996. I am biased towards the 4S but they are significantly rarer than the 2S variants (and you can see about 3x the listings for a 2S vs. 4S). There is a lot more to this than just the above, but it will start you in the right direction.

Having said all that, I would instead focus on current budget, your own preferences, and "close substitutes". Then when down to a few choices you would already be happy with, play the value game. Note that you typically will get what you pay for, so I would really be looking for value rather than just price.

Good luck!

WOW!!!
Thats very helpful, thanks.

Old 10-13-2018, 09:23 AM
shekmark
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Funny how Rennlisters put a premium on manual trannys , but if you go for a trade in, no matter where, they beat you down because of it. I wonder if P dealers think manuals are rare and more valuable as they go to re- sell the cars. Just ranting I guess. All good ideas here. My color is unique, but now I wish I had gone brighter. I used to dislike white cars and trucks. Now I am drawn to them.
Old 10-13-2018, 10:03 AM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 254 Likes on 162 Posts

Saw a vinwiki about manual trans. Basically said that new car buyers want autos and used car buyers want manuals. Different priorities I guess.

Quick Reply: New Buyer Looking for Information