Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Rotors are you putting on with Hawk Ceramic pads?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2018 | 06:25 PM
Dartmouth
Burning Brakes

Default What Rotors are you putting on with Hawk Ceramic pads?

I have Hawk ceramic pads with 5,000 miles but my rotors need replacing. What rotors do you recommend to buy? I prefer a rotor with the same directional drill holes. All suggestions appreciated.
Old 09-28-2018 | 09:29 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

For steel rotors, I like and use dba (Disc Brakes Australia) with the ceramic pads on my wife's car. Sold through KLM Brakes.

If you need rear rotors too, I have some good used Sebro slotted rear take-offs. I removed them when replacing the front rotors with those in the above photo and decided to make the fronts and rears match with the same slot pattern. Before installing the Sebros, I painted the hubs with high-temp ceramic engine paint so they wouldn't rust and look ugly. The vanes have the Sebro E-coating for the same purpose, which you can see in the photos. I cleaned them in my heated, ultrasonic parts washer then brushed them with Eastwood Metal Wash to prevent them from surface rusting. If interested in the rear rotors, let me know. They were around $450 from Pelican. I'd sell them for $275 shipped.

Old 09-28-2018 | 10:18 AM
Dartmouth
Burning Brakes

Thanks but not what I'm looking for. I prefer a vented by drilled rotors. Any suggestions appreciated.
Old 09-28-2018 | 10:55 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Street driving only or some track use too? dba makes a drilled version of their rotors too.

If for track use, drilled rotors aren't the best choice as they develop cracks between the holes and also eliminate enough metal to reduce the heat sink of the rotor so they tend to warp sooner.

Old 09-28-2018 | 11:06 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Drilled rotors develop cracks on the street as well when you're having fun 8)
Old 09-28-2018 | 11:30 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
Drilled rotors develop cracks on the street as well when you're having fun 8)
True. Here's a pic of a 2-piece rotor from a Nissan GT-R at 4,000 miles without any track use and these also have the arched hole pattern so no weak spot on a straight line from the hub to the outside like the other photo I posted.

On my cars that don't have PCCBs, I stopped using drilled rotors quite a few years ago and switched to slotted (wife's 997 & 928). The slots keep the pad surface fresh and still give surface water an escape route, but don't reduce the heat sink or create a weak area in the rotor surface.

Even happened to me personally on my 1/2 ton pick-up which already had brakes from the 3/4 ton and were then +1 upsized with a Baer Eradispeed kit to be even larger. Granted, these rotors had been on the truck for many miles as you can see from the lip, but still...

Quick Reply: What Rotors are you putting on with Hawk Ceramic pads?