Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reguarding .1 and .2 clutch feel...

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 11:05 PM
Vethen
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Reguarding .1 and .2 clutch feel...

Hello everyone. Long time lurker, starting to look more seriously at picking up a 997 but still unsure between which generation. It's looking mostly like I'd take whichever comes up with a better build first.

The other day I found a place that had an '08 C2S and an '10 C2S in stock, both with a stick. I was overjoyed at the thought of getting to try both cars back to back. I've been watching the local inventory to try as many different cars as I can between .1/.2 and base/S.

I started in the .2 which felt very nice. Smooth shifting, gear engagement and better exhaust tone than I expected. Next came the .1 which surprised me with how heavy the clutch felt. It wasn't very linear and gave me slight trouble for a few turns till I got the hang of it. This particular vehicle had some modifications done to it, so I'm not sure if this is how I should expect all .1 CS' to drive or if it was an outlier.

Looking for other's thoughts on the clutch feel between the .1 or .2 generations, specifically in the S model.
Old 09-24-2018, 11:20 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 444 Likes on 161 Posts

Hi - welcome! Good luck in your search and let us know how we can help. Both are wonderful cars so its a question of value for money. The .2 is known as a better car, due to the DFI engine and improved PCM, however its up to you to decide if its worth $15-20k premium over a .1. I have a .1 and love it. Best value sports car on the planet. You just need to be aware of the IMS on 997.1s (which is a non-issue for 2006+ models) and bore scoring (which reportedly only affects cars from cold climates that weren't properly warmed up).

Re the clutch. I don't think that's any difference between the .1 and .2 cars. I think what you're feeling is likely a burned up clutch from someone dumping the clutch. The fingers of the pressure plate can get so hot the steel gets tempered. Thats the heaviness you feel in the pedal as the fingers become very brittle. It could also be a bad slave cylinder, but less likely.

Some of the other guys might have more info than I, but this would be my gut call.
Old 09-25-2018, 12:03 AM
porscheconvert
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have 997.1 but used to have a 997.2. I don’t recall a material change in the clutch feel...with exception of 1st gear. 997.2 is better.
Old 09-25-2018, 05:08 AM
SoCalMark
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure on the clutch feel between .1 & .2 but from what I've been told when the clutch starts to get heavy like that it'll need replacing soon.
Old 09-25-2018, 09:54 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,420 Likes on 862 Posts

I know the 997.2 S clutch is self adjustable.... it is a different mechanism. Anyone know if the 997.1 S clutch is self adjustable? If not, then it the difference you feel may be due to the differences in technology and wear. BTW, when a .2 S clutch wears, you can not tell. It is not ordinary. I had my 2009 C2S clutch go (I blame the previous owner of course!), it just went with only a week of warning and it was nothing like what I know a "regular" clutch to fail.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 09-25-2018, 10:04 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,172 Likes on 3,936 Posts

The hydraulic clutch in the. 1 is self adjusting. It gets stiff feeling when nearing the need for replacement. I have 2 '05 cars. My clutch is much lighter than my wife's so already have a clutch kit for her car in the parts cabinet as I know it's just a matter of time before it goes up on the lift for a new one. The shifting between a .1 and .2 should not be materially different unless parts have been changed, like an SSK, cables, etc.
Old 09-25-2018, 01:52 PM
Vethen
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Thank you everyone for your input. I'm glad that my gut feeling was correct.

Ill keep an an eye out to try a different 997.1 S and get a better feel for what to expect. Don't want to be expecting clutch work so soon after purchasing a new to me vehicle.
Old 09-25-2018, 02:18 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Vethen
Thank you everyone for your input. I'm glad that my gut feeling was correct.

Ill keep an an eye out to try a different 997.1 S and get a better feel for what to expect. Don't want to be expecting clutch work so soon after purchasing a new to me vehicle.
Actually, if you can negotiate it as part of the deal, you'll have the trans off and can pull the IMS bearing seal at the same time. You'll have a fresh clutch and better bearing lubrication maybe paid for by someone else.
Old 09-25-2018, 04:30 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
The hydraulic clutch in the. 1 is self adjusting. It gets stiff feeling when nearing the need for replacement. I have 2 '05 cars. My clutch is much lighter than my wife's so already have a clutch kit for her car in the parts cabinet as I know it's just a matter of time before it goes up on the lift for a new one. The shifting between a .1 and .2 should not be materially different unless parts have been changed, like an SSK, cables, etc.
If I remember correctly, the 997.1 S has a self adjusting clutch and the base model is not self adjusting. I have a 2008 S and the clutch has always been heavy since new.
Old 09-25-2018, 04:56 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Fahrer
If I remember correctly, the 997.1 S has a self adjusting clutch and the base model is not self adjusting. I have a 2008 S and the clutch has always been heavy since new.
Yes, I believe that is correct with a difference between the base and S. Without comparing two clutches or measuring the force required to depress the pedal, it's hard to define "heavy" or light.

Quick Reply: Reguarding .1 and .2 clutch feel...