997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.1 PCM 2.1 - Backup Camera

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2019 | 10:18 PM
AlohaFlyer
Intermediate

Yes my car which the pics are of above... is a 2007 997.1 Manual.... (as God intended... lol)
Old 01-20-2019 | 11:06 PM
cwheeler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AlohaFlyer
Yes my car which the pics are of above... is a 2007 997.1 Manual.... (as God intended... lol)
Any news on the google maps addition? Is that still on the table?
Old 01-22-2019 | 12:42 AM
AlohaFlyer
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cwheeler
Any news on the google maps addition? Is that still on the table?
I ordered the adapters to do this... I will let you know in a week or so... I am also thinking of installing a front bumper camera to make parking easier... since there is an extra video input.
Old 01-22-2019 | 07:34 AM
Uwon
Rennlist Member

AlohaFlyer,
following this thread with great interest. You are tackling a mod that many of us want. Thanks for sharing.
Johan
Old 01-22-2019 | 01:24 PM
AlohaFlyer
Intermediate

So I was installing my new temp control ***** yesterday and had it apart... I did some testing and successfully made the other two Video in ports work... I think I will use one for a front camera mouted under the license plate... and one for mirroring my iPhone, so I can display google maps or waze... I ordered the RCA/Component to Lightning adapters on amazon last night.. .can't wait to hook it up... once I do I will make a full video and pics of the finished product. This TVandNav2Go kit comes with a little toggle button, I installed it on the trim below the left side of the stereo stack... so I can switch between what is displayed easily. I am liking this! I will post more in a week.
Old 01-22-2019 | 01:26 PM
cwheeler
Rennlist Member

I am so stoked to hear this!
Old 01-22-2019 | 01:26 PM
AlohaFlyer
Intermediate

By the way my new Macarbon temp control *****... look and feel amazing... I still have the climrepair ones... but they looked so bad that I never used them... anybody want those?

Old 01-23-2019 | 11:50 PM
Uwon
Rennlist Member

Those are indeed nice ***** from Macarbon. I think that they look better than the Porsche factory issue.
johan
Old 01-24-2019 | 12:49 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Fantastic job! Looks totally OEM!

Now, have another question... is there a way to connect a video-in directly without too much dis-assembly? There are not Carplay modules that simply take your phone and display the car play screen working with pretty much any car that can display video! I am interested in doing that if possible!
Old 01-24-2019 | 01:44 AM
AlohaFlyer
Intermediate

Originally Posted by alexb76
Fantastic job! Looks totally OEM!

Now, have another question... is there a way to connect a video-in directly without too much dis-assembly? There are not Carplay modules that simply take your phone and display the car play screen working with pretty much any car that can display video! I am interested in doing that if possible!
That's pretty much what I did here... the TVandNav2Go unit in the initial post, has three RCA/Composite video inputs... one for reverse camera, which is triggered by the reverse lights... then two other inputs... I am going to add a front facing camera under my front license plate... and then connect my iphone to the other input... and use the included toggle button to switch the view.

Keep in mind that this is not a touch screen.. and will be for display only... so to use Waze or Google Maps... you would just be mirroring off the iphone... its still really nice.

Last edited by AlohaFlyer; 01-24-2019 at 02:09 AM.
Old 01-26-2019 | 06:13 PM
AlohaFlyer
Intermediate

I got the extra RCA/Composite video ins working and tested with a second camera... anyone know how to connect an Iphone X to RCA video in? I bought all the cables and couldn't make it mirror my screen...
Old 01-26-2019 | 06:41 PM
cwheeler
Rennlist Member

Perhaps something like this:

1080P HDMI to RCA Adapter with HDMI Coupler for Any HDMI Streaming Devices, Wii, PS3, PS4, Xbox, DVD Player and More. All-in-One HDMI to 3RCA Composite AV Video Converter
Amazon Amazon

And use a lighting to hdmi adapter?

Cw
Old 01-28-2019 | 06:31 PM
AlohaFlyer
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cwheeler
Perhaps something like this:

1080P HDMI to RCA Adapter with HDMI Coupler for Any HDMI Streaming Devices, Wii, PS3, PS4, Xbox, DVD Player and More. All-in-One HDMI to 3RCA Composite AV Video Converter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CKNTPT1..._EgotCbEA673Q1

And use a lighting to hdmi adapter?

Cw
I would love to know if this has been tested before? I might even go to an apple store and see what I can try...
Old 01-28-2019 | 07:13 PM
cwheeler
Rennlist Member

I certainly haven't tried it. It may also need an app to mirror as well....
Old 02-03-2019 | 01:20 AM
Jeffblak
Advanced

@AlohaFlyer
I did the install today and I see what you were talking about with the ribbon cable length. There is no way to route the existing cable to the aux circuit board in the PCM without cutting a slot in the backing plate (behind the display) so the cable can route straight back. Glad you did it first, it was nice to know someone before me had the same issue. Since the backing plate can come completely out it’s easy enough to cut the slot with a Dremel using a cutting wheel. (Don’t do it anywhere close to your PCM since metal dust goes everywhere). Still, you would think the makers of this kit would ship a longer replacement ribbon cable for use in this location so the cable could take the original route. A longer cable would be what, like five bucks? The install took me nine hours, including the PCM mods, and vacuuming the carpet afterwards. Could probably do it in six next time, but still its quite a project to do it right. I used fuse position C5 to power the module, which is switched with the ignition.

The auto switching to backup cam works well, and it’s nice that the PCM does not even have to finish booting for the camera to work. The camera comes on the moment you go into reverse and the PCM finishes booting behind the scene. The display is good, however there is a very slight flicker in backup cam mode, but nothing that interferes with the image quality. Overall, it’s very good and feels OEM. I used a Tadibrothers camera with a hidden bracket that mounts behind the license plate. It’s a day/night camera and is very bright at night with just the backup lights. Overall, great project.

Quick Reply: 997.1 PCM 2.1 - Backup Camera