Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.1 PCM 2.1 - Backup Camera

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 06:13 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

PLEASE SHARE your results, would be very interesting to know!
Old 12-05-2018, 12:20 AM
Jeffblak
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I spoke with the sales department today at Tadibrothers.com. I’m not associated with them in any way, but after a lot of internet research they looked to be one of the most developed companies selling complete backup camera systems direct to the public. Initially I called about their wifi backup camera using my iPhone as the display, but while speaking with their sales engineer the conversation turned to PCM integrated systems. It turns out that they routinely package and sell a complete backup camera system that includes the PCM 2.1 integration. They work with either NavTv or TVandNav2Go depending on application and customer request. I got the impression that the TVandNav2Go product was more commonly used since they told me the kit would require that I install (or have installed) a ribbon cable and auxiliary board in my PCM - which I’m comfortable doing myself.

They claim that they have sold hundreds of these over the last 10 years, mostly to dealers, and with great results and reliability. I was pleasantly surprised with their familiarity and comfort with requirements for the PCM 2.1 integration. I ordered a complete kit with camera, cables, hardware and PCM video integration. The cost was a bit higher than purchasing the components individually from the direct sources but I found their assistance, return policy and warranty worth the extra bucks. Once I receive it I will install it myself and post the results. Not cheap, but I’m a fan of keeping the original PCM. I like ***** and hard buttons better than a touch screen, and I think the PCM unit just looks right in the car.
Old 12-05-2018, 06:06 AM
AlohaFlyer
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I picked up my 911 from the shop today and my backup camera works amazingly well! I love it! It looks and feels like it came from the factory.

Here are some inital pics. I will do another post shortly with some more detail:

This is my PCM 2.1 from my 2007 997.1

Here is what it looks like with the backup camera turned on, but putting the car in reverse.

Here is a shot of the camera integration. It is a license plate light with a camera integrated in the lens. I love how subtle it is.

Here is a shot of the camera integration. It is a license plate light with a camera integrated in the lens. I love how subtle it is.

Old 12-05-2018, 07:41 AM
Uwon
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeffblak
Once I receive it I will install it myself and post the results. Not cheap, but I’m a fan of keeping the original PCM. I like ***** and hard buttons better than a touch screen, and I think the PCM unit just looks right in the car.
look forward to your update. I agree with you. I too prefer ***** and hard buttons rather than a touch screen.
Cheers,
Old 12-07-2018, 04:48 AM
AlohaFlyer
Intermediate

After getting the PCM disassembled (This one was a bit different than all of the other ones I was able to find disassembly info online), I found the ribbon cable that comes from the screen was too short and the converter board could not be mounted in a way that was functional or anything like the instruction photos showed.

Old 12-07-2018, 04:49 AM
AlohaFlyer
Intermediate

In order to get enough length from the cable to mount the board in a location inside the radio that would clear everything, I had to cut a small slot in the front frame/bracket of the radio to route the ribon cable from the screen straight back and into the main body of the radio. At that point, I was able to mount the circuit board and connect both ribbon cables.
Old 12-07-2018, 04:50 AM
AlohaFlyer
Intermediate

The RCA connections for the camera were sealed with heat-shrink to prevent water from getting in.
Old 12-07-2018, 04:50 AM
AlohaFlyer
Intermediate

Because there are very few safe places to get a safe to use +15 (Switched ignition) power supply in this vehicle due to the networked systems (Nearly everything gets full time power and is woken up via the network), I found an empty slot in the fusebox that had +15 power going to it and hardwired directly into the D8 fuse location for the power to the camera and the converter box.
Old 12-07-2018, 04:53 AM
AlohaFlyer
Intermediate

Special thanks to John and Eric at Kona European Auto Repair who performed the install for me. Mahalo Nui!
Old 12-07-2018, 05:50 AM
Juha Pussinen
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heelo Aloha,

Looks great, Would be nice if you can make list what oyu need to buy for this to do it in home my self. links please. like longer cable ect.
Thank you very much.
br.JUha , Finland
Old 12-07-2018, 07:10 AM
AlohaFlyer
Intermediate

Hi Juha,

The longer RCA cable was just a common RCA cable sourced locally... You can find them at any electronics store or amazon. The rest of the parts are listed in the original post. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Aloha,
Ryan Pettit
Old 12-07-2018, 05:37 PM
Jeffblak
Advanced

Default Video Expansion Board

@AlohaFlyer
I'm getting ready to do this installation - parts on order but not received yet. However, your comment about the existing ribbon cable from the monitor not being long enough got me thinking. I reviewed the instructions on the TVandNav2go site and it looks to me like they intend for the new cable they send to replace that existing cable and be used between the monitor and the new expansion board. Then, take the old cable and use it between the expansion board and control unit. See diagram below. Is that what you did, or did you instead use the new cable where they show the old cable being used?

Old 12-07-2018, 06:21 PM
campbesl
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 80 Posts

How much do all of the piece parts cost to do this project?
Old 12-07-2018, 09:21 PM
Jeffblak
Advanced

Originally Posted by campbesl
How much do all of the piece parts cost to do this project?
If you buy the TVandNav2go interface directly and the camera and cable elsewhere, you can be all in for $400-$500. I believe the OP has the links to do this in his initial post.

If you buy a complete package at a place like Tadibrothers, then $700-$850 depending on the camera you choose.

Last edited by Jeffblak; 12-08-2018 at 12:05 PM.
Old 12-08-2018, 07:35 AM
Uwon
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by LC997C4s
Nice idea, wonder if the video interface would work for a 2006 997. I guess I have to see if the PCM is 2.1 a or b.
Did you move forward with this?
so, did you figure out which PCM you have? How do you determine this? This is my display on my ‘06 C2S and the numbers don’t really tell me anything.
Thanks in advance.

Quick Reply: 997.1 PCM 2.1 - Backup Camera