Sponsored by:

997 keys transponder pill

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2018, 09:22 AM
varun_sg
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 997 keys transponder pill

Hi - I’ve been reading about 997 keys and wanted to check if the following is possible.

i have the original 2 Porsche keys in working condition with transponder inside and the metal keys.

i don’t like carrying metal keys around and wanted to do the following

1. Separate the metal key from the key fob (with chip and transponder inside)

2. Mount the metal key in a new housing (like a starter switch) and leave it permanently inside the ignition

3. Keep the remainder key fob in my pocket (without the metal key) - use it to unlock the car but then put back into pocket.

4. When I get into the car - simply turn the metal key already in the ignition to start the car.

I have 2 questions:
1. I assume the transponder pill needs to be quite close to the ignition as it’s not powered - does anyone know how close ?

2. Is there an alternate way to ‘power’ the transponder pill - so it doesn’t require the inductive power from ignition and can simply send out its code from a slightly further distance ?

thanks in advance.
Old 09-23-2018, 11:34 AM
ogun228
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Uh! sounds a bit Rube Goldbergy. No?
The following users liked this post:
Sadeeq (11-14-2022)
Old 09-23-2018, 01:36 PM
varun_sg
6th Gear

that’s a very apt description.
The following users liked this post:
Sadeeq (11-14-2022)
Old 09-23-2018, 02:13 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by varun_sg
Hi - I’ve been reading about 997 keys and wanted to check if the following is possible.

i have the original 2 Porsche keys in working condition with transponder inside and the metal keys.

i don’t like carrying metal keys around and wanted to do the following

1. Separate the metal key from the key fob (with chip and transponder inside)

2. Mount the metal key in a new housing (like a starter switch) and leave it permanently inside the ignition

3. Keep the remainder key fob in my pocket (without the metal key) - use it to unlock the car but then put back into pocket.

4. When I get into the car - simply turn the metal key already in the ignition to start the car.

I have 2 questions:
1. I assume the transponder pill needs to be quite close to the ignition as it’s not powered - does anyone know how close ?

2. Is there an alternate way to ‘power’ the transponder pill - so it doesn’t require the inductive power from ignition and can simply send out its code from a slightly further distance ?

thanks in advance.
Some aftermarket alarms had a separate module to "fool" the transponder when the installers added remote start feature. Come to think of it wouldn't any car with remote start have to have some transponder work around. Maybe look around here?? https://www.directed.com
Old 10-11-2018, 07:46 AM
varun_sg
6th Gear

Hi folks - trying again to see if there is any advice about this.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:46 AM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 244 Likes on 160 Posts

The transponder pill is rfid and requires no power

Yes. You could leave it in your car and put it near the key and just leave it.

But the car will always sense the key is in the ignition. Not sure how to get around that.
Old 10-11-2018, 01:25 PM
varun_sg
6th Gear

Originally Posted by dgjks6
The transponder pill is rfid and requires no power

Yes. You could leave it in your car and put it near the key and just leave it.

But the car will always sense the key is in the ignition. Not sure how to get around that.
thanks. Any idea how far the pill can be from the ignition ? for eg can it still transmit the return code from if I don’t take it out of my pocket ?

i do plan to use a metal key for the ignition to start the car. I just won’t have the pill in that key

Old 10-25-2018, 02:00 PM
varun_sg
6th Gear

I tried my little ‘hack’ and it does work though only partially.

good news is that the car can be started using a duplicated metal key. I duplicated mine using a UK based service.

bad news is that the Original Porsche fob has to be kept very close to the ignition - so the RFID antenna can sense the RFID pill inside.

It appears that the RFID range in the 997.1 is very small - a few cm. I tried a few different locations but this method only works if the RFID pill is right next to the ignition.

Unsure of how the rfid system in the 997 works so not sure how to increase the range. If anyone is familiar or has any ideas - please do share. If the range can be extended to a few feet - it would allow driver to keep the original Porsche fob in pocket.

Last edited by varun_sg; 10-29-2018 at 12:04 PM.
Old 11-14-2022, 12:00 PM
Sadeeq
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Some aftermarket alarms had a separate module to "fool" the transponder when the installers added remote start feature. Come to think of it wouldn't any car with remote start have to have some transponder work around. Maybe look around here?? https://www.directed.com
You make a very good point!

Quick Reply: 997 keys transponder pill