Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cleanest way to add intake noise?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 12:45 PM
oronymo
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Cleanest way to add intake noise?

I'm loving my new 997.1 Targa 4S. Glorious. On my old Mini, though, I had a cold air intake upgrade and combined with the supercharger it sounded amazing. Nothing beats the flat 6, though, except I wish I could hear it a little better.

I do *not* want to make the exhaust loud and annoying, and I do *not* want to any modification to the engine that cannot be easily undone (I want to be able to revert to pure stock easily). Extra HP/TQ is fine, but not the goal.

I've looked at all the intake options and read the various forum posts, and it looks like my best option is this: https://www.fabspeed.com/porsche-997...r-upgrade-kit/

My question is whether it's worth it - does it actually improve the sound in a noticeable way?

I'm also wondering if someone makes something similar but in black so it looks more stock? I find the bright red a bit tacky.

I'm open to other suggestions (and no, I'm not going to just do the oil cap 'hack')
Old 09-18-2018, 01:41 PM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

I know you said no exhaust, but have your considered the OEM Porsche Sport Exhaust (PSE)? It's new mufflers with a valves attached and a switch on the lower console near the PASM/PSM/Spoiler buttons to "turn up the sound" when you want. Leave it closed for standard volume similar to what you have now. Great for leaving the house early in the morning without disturbing the neighbors. Then press the button when you want that glorious Porsche sound. The valve opens and internally to the muffler a portion of it is bypassed, increasing the exhaust volume. Any of the modified Gunddo/Fister type exhausts emulate the original PSE without the valve - the bypass always present.

If you went the PSE route I'd leave it in the car as it's an OEM upgrade.
Old 09-18-2018, 02:38 PM
bhvrdr
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by oronymo
I'm loving my new 997.1 Targa 4S. Glorious. On my old Mini, though, I had a cold air intake upgrade and combined with the supercharger it sounded amazing. Nothing beats the flat 6, though, except I wish I could hear it a little better.

I do *not* want to make the exhaust loud and annoying, and I do *not* want to any modification to the engine that cannot be easily undone (I want to be able to revert to pure stock easily). Extra HP/TQ is fine, but not the goal.

I've looked at all the intake options and read the various forum posts, and it looks like my best option is this: https://www.fabspeed.com/porsche-997...r-upgrade-kit/

My question is whether it's worth it - does it actually improve the sound in a noticeable way?

I'm also wondering if someone makes something similar but in black so it looks more stock? I find the bright red a bit tacky.

I'm open to other suggestions (and no, I'm not going to just do the oil cap 'hack')
that kit youvl8nked to is one of the biggest insults to Porsche owners put on us by a company. You are payong for a 25 dollar hose and a 3 dollar cap.

All you need to do is block that secondary resonator path on the intake tract. Some do it with an oil cap.

Or this identical hose for 10x less...
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F232632200682

mike
Old 09-18-2018, 03:08 PM
oronymo
Racer

The OEM PSE would be ideal (if was one of my shopping options I wanted but was willing to skip), but it also sounds expensive.

Do you have to go to the dealer to get it done?
Old 09-18-2018, 03:09 PM
oronymo
Racer

Originally Posted by bhvrdr
that kit youvl8nked to is one of the biggest insults to Porsche owners put on us by a company. You are payong for a 25 dollar hose and a 3 dollar cap.

All you need to do is block that secondary resonator path on the intake tract. Some do it with an oil cap.

Or this identical hose for 10x less...
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F232632200682

mike
Thats what I was thinking too - $250 seems totally excessive.
Old 09-18-2018, 04:14 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 355 Likes on 252 Posts

Have you looked into the K&N hot air intake. It'll give you that slurping sound

Old 09-18-2018, 05:17 PM
LISsailor
Pro

Received 191 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by DesmoSD
Have you looked into the K&N hot air intake. It'll give you that slurping sound

I remember putting one of these in my first car when I was a teenager. A 1991 e30 BMW 325i. It totally reduced horsepower but it sounded great! Hot air intake for sure! LOL
Old 09-18-2018, 09:09 PM
Fbrooksr
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Fabspeed Cold Air Induction

I put the Fabspeed Cold Air Induction on my 997.2. Quiet below 4,500 RPMs. When you romp on it, you hear the air ripping into the system. It is a howl. Expensive, but a very easy DIY! Good luck.
Old 09-18-2018, 11:05 PM
ATSR
Burning Brakes

Received 202 Likes on 94 Posts

The OEM PSE would be ideal (if was one of my shopping options I wanted but was willing to skip), but it also sounds expensive.

Do you have to go to the dealer to get it done?
Don’t waste your money on the OEM PSE. Just install Fister mufflers and you will get an awesome exhaust sound for a fraction of the price.
Old 09-19-2018, 12:15 AM
Ohio Performance
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 189 Likes on 77 Posts

For intake sound I am extremely happy with the Werks intake from Champion Motorsports!

http://www.championmotorsport.com/pr.../cms-ab101.htm
Old 09-19-2018, 08:23 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,171 Likes on 3,935 Posts

Originally Posted by Ohio Performance
For intake sound I am extremely happy with the Werks intake from Champion Motorsports!

http://www.championmotorsport.com/pr.../cms-ab101.htm
Ha, and people thought the Fabspeed intakes were expensive. That F77 airbox is like $3,000. It's truly the best one though. I test fit one available for sale local to me a few years ago into my car, but it wouldn't fit with the supercharger so had to let someone else buy it. I was bummed as it went perfectly with my CF theme and is a true cold air intake.

The next best design is the Evolution Motorsports one and one was just listed for sale in the Marketplace this morning. Without other mods (exhaust and a tune) it will not do much from a performance perspective, but will add intake sound and improve throttle response. Be careful not yo over oil the filter orbit can damage the MAF.
Old 09-19-2018, 09:26 AM
Ohio Performance
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 189 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
Ha, and people thought the Fabspeed intakes were expensive. That F77 airbox is like $3,000. It's truly the best one though. I test fit one available for sale local to me a few years ago into my car, but it wouldn't fit with the supercharger so had to let someone else buy it. I was bummed as it went perfectly with my CF theme and is a true cold air intake.

The next best design is the Evolution Motorsports one and one was just listed for sale in the Marketplace this morning. Without other mods (exhaust and a tune) it will not do much from a performance perspective, but will add intake sound and improve throttle response. Be careful not yo over oil the filter orbit can damage the MAF.
Yeah I let the previous owner take the hit - He was not a car guy just a money guy - his loss my gain!

The sound is incredible though but not 3K incredible! If there is a used one i would recommend picking one up!

2007 C4S F77 Aerokit / 2004 E46 M3 / 2018 M3 comp

Old 09-19-2018, 12:53 PM
oronymo
Racer

Originally Posted by Fbrooksr
I put the Fabspeed Cold Air Induction on my 997.2. Quiet below 4,500 RPMs. When you romp on it, you hear the air ripping into the system. It is a howl. Expensive, but a very easy DIY! Good luck.
Do you mean this one https://www.fabspeed.com/porsche-997...r-upgrade-kit/ ?
Old 09-19-2018, 01:14 PM
bhvrdr
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

yes that one is identical to the $25 ones on ebay. I have them at the house. It does give you a very nice wail above 4k. This is because you are blocking the secondary resonator hose. You can get the identical increased sound by putting an oil cap in that pipe ..

https://www.renntech.org/forums/topi...-modification/
Old 09-19-2018, 03:12 PM
Racetwin2
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

I went for the cheapest and fastest mod. From design911. Ca 600 GBP. Silicone hose and resonator delete. Literally a 10 minute job and same time to revert to original. No error codes and wonderful noise above 5000 rpm. Video below.

https://www.design911.co.uk/mobile/#part;id=766

Video below. Listen 40 seconds into the movie.

Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Cleanest way to add intake noise?