PDK - clutch and transmission oil change

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2021, 11:31 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,506 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by dan71cat
The manual says - 'gear oil'
Porsche uses very confusing terms for the two fluids. The FFL3 may be a "gear oil" in some sense (it does provide some lubrication) but it is mainly a hydraulic fluid. It is definitely not the same as the the 75W-90 fluid used in the gearcase section of the transmission. That is "gear oil" in the traditional sense as it's a thicker lubricant that travels up the rotating gears and keeps them lubed (like in a manual transmission). If you look up the part number on your invoice it comes up as "transmission oil manual - Porsche" (link below). That's because it's used in the later model manual transmissions but it's also used in the gearbox section of the PDK since it's functionally equivalent to a manual.

https://www.sunsetporscheparts.com/o...al-00004330549

It's not the right oil for the clutch section, full stop. Perhaps they only changed the fluid in the gearcase section and used the right fluid. But if they put 75W-90 in the clutch section it's wrong.

BTW, some other Porsche models only use one fluid in their "PDK" (an entirely different transmission from the 911, Cayman, or Boxster). Maybe they had a flunky working it and he got confused.
The following users liked this post:
dan71cat (06-27-2021)
Old 06-27-2021, 11:37 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,194 Likes on 1,157 Posts

Originally Posted by PV997
Porsche uses very confusing terms for the two fluids. The FFL3 may be a "gear oil" in some sense (it does provide some lubrication) but it is mainly a hydraulic fluid. It is definitely not the same as the the 75W-90 fluid used in the gearcase section of the transmission. That is "gear oil" in the traditional sense as it's a thicker lubricant that travels up the rotating gears and keeps them lubed (like in a manual transmission). If you look up the part number on your invoice it comes up as "transmission oil manual - Porsche" (link below). That's because it's used in the later model manual transmissions but it's also used in the gearbox section of the PDK since it's functionally equivalent to a manual.

It's not the right oil for the clutch section, full stop. Perhaps they only changed the fluid in the gearcase section and used the right fluid. But if they put 75W-90 in the clutch section it's wrong.

BTW, some other Porsche models only use one fluid in their "PDK" (an entirely different transmission from the 911, Cayman, or Boxster). Maybe they had a flunky working it and he got confused.
If that Porsche Dealership deemed it appropriate to put a "flunky" on a PDK transmission service, then the entire facility is a failure. There is no excuse for that kind of approach.

Old 06-27-2021, 11:43 PM
dan71cat
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PV997

It is all clear to me. I hope they will explain tomorrow what they did and would pay for the proper service at the local Porsche dealer in Toronto (I purchased it in another province and it was shipped by rail). I will keep you guys updated.
Old 06-28-2021, 08:35 PM
dan71cat
AutoX

My apologies and after 2 nights of poor sleep today I got the confirmation from Porsche dealer that the PDK clutch service wasn't done at that time

Sorry about the confusion. I was going over the work that was done on your car, What was completed by our tech was the 12 year service on the PDK replacement of the Final drive fluid which is 000-043-305-49 part number according to our parts manager and the technician that did the work.
The part number 000-043-207-29 you provided is Clutch fluid but the number has changed to new number 000-043-305-13 but that is the clutch service which is done every 6 years.

Well it is much better to know that service hasn't been done rather than done with wrong oil. Anyways, I will need to do it at the Porsche dealer here in Toronto. Indy recommended me to go to the dealership which is owned by Porsche itself.
Old 06-28-2021, 11:14 PM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 253 Likes on 162 Posts

Damn. I wish I would have changed my gear oil last night. I'm at work so don't have access to my manuals but..

What I know for sure

The is the gear oil

What I suspect (and am pretty sure about)

The capacity is 3L
Does not need a metal gasket - the plug which should be replaced has a rubber O ring
Old 06-29-2021, 01:20 AM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

My apologies and after 2 nights of poor sleep today I got the confirmation from Porsche dealer that the PDK clutch service wasn't done at that time

Sorry about the confusion. I was going over the work that was done on your car, What was completed by our tech was the 12 year service on the PDK replacement of the Final drive fluid which is 000-043-305-49 part number according to our parts manager and the technician that did the work.
The part number 000-043-207-29 you provided is Clutch fluid but the number has changed to new number 000-043-305-13 but that is the clutch service which is done every 6 years.

Well it is much better to know that service hasn't been done rather than done with wrong oil. Anyways, I will need to do it at the Porsche dealer here in Toronto. Indy recommended me to go to the dealership which is owned by Porsche itself.
No problem dan71cat, there's nothing we love more around here than a good old-fashioned Porsche dealership pile on. Warranted or not, they are always fun and they bring it on themselves with ridiculous $500 oil changes and the like. If it gets too over the top we've got Doug H. (our resident dealership fan) to slap as around a bit so it's all good.

I am a little concerned that your invoice says 6 liters of 75W-90 gear oil when the gearcase only holds about 3 liters bone dry. If it were me I'd probably pull a little fluid out of the clutch compartment and inspect it, trust but verify as they say. You can extract some from the fill hole with a $10 hand pump and not have to worry about it dumping out of the drain plug. It's not hard to access with some jackstands.

Good luck and try not to stress about it too much. Owning these cars is fun and shouldn't cause anxiety. You didn't buy the car for "peace of mind", but because it's an extremely well-engineered machine that lets you hang your hide over the line and get away with it. Happy motoring.
dan71cat (06-29-2021)
Old 06-29-2021, 08:39 AM
dan71cat
AutoX

Originally Posted by dgjks6
Damn. I wish I would have changed my gear oil last night. I'm at work so don't have access to my manuals but..

What I know for sure

The is the gear oil

What I suspect (and am pretty sure about)

The capacity is 3L
Does not need a metal gasket - the plug which should be replaced has a rubber O ring
Is the aluminum ring 900-123-007-30 used in the clutch part of PDK?
Yes, I am aware of capacity.
I am going to service the clutch anyways, so will figure out what oil is in there. Is FFL3 red or green?

Old 06-29-2021, 09:11 AM
dgjks6
Drifting

Never done the PDK clutch in the 997 but in my Macan the PDK drain plug has an aluminum washer. When I get home I'll pull the fill on the final drive and see if it has a rubber o ring.

The FFL3 fluid I have seen is green or brown depending on the brand. I think I have some at home. I'll take a look.

You could pull both fill plugs and fluid should drain out. Get an ounce of each and see if it is new or old.

And I have been where you are with the dealer with what fluid and amount and where they put what. And they didn't know. And the invoice was worthless.
dan71cat (06-29-2021)
Old 06-29-2021, 09:25 AM
dan71cat
AutoX

Never done the PDK clutch in the 997 but in my Macan the PDK drain plug has an aluminum washer. When I get home I'll pull the fill on the final drive and see if it has a rubber o ring.

The FFL3 fluid I have seen is green or brown depending on the brand. I think I have some at home. I'll take a look.

You could pull both fill plugs and fluid should drain out. Get an ounce of each and see if it is new or old.

And I have been where you are with the dealer with what fluid and amount and where they put what. And they didn't know. And the invoice was worthless.
I Googled the images and noticed that the part 900-123-007-30 is aluminum washer but it is flat black...

Last edited by dan71cat; 06-29-2021 at 09:27 AM.
Old 06-29-2021, 11:50 AM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

I am going to service the clutch anyways, so will figure out what oil is in there. Is FFL3 red or green?
I've got some official Porsche FFL3 (left over from when I did my PDK clutch service) in the garage and it's a very light brown, sort of honey or tea-colored. Probably more important is it's consistency. It's thin, a bit thicker than water but not as thick as typical motor oil. If you stick your finger in it it will drip right off. 75W-90 gear oil is much thicker by design. Only the bottom part of the gearcase has a gear oil pool so it needs to cling to the gears to travel up to lubricate the higher parts.
dan71cat (06-29-2021)
Old 06-29-2021, 12:33 PM
Phrog Phlyer
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Dan - the Pentosin FFL-3 is translucent amber in color. The PDK FFL-3 fill plug is noted in the below pic by the Green Arrow. Additionally, the FFL-3 does not have the heavy gear oil smell. When you buy it, compare the FFL-3 smell to the gear oil smell and you should notice quite a difference.

Last edited by Phrog Phlyer; 06-29-2021 at 01:21 PM.
dan71cat (06-29-2021)
Old 06-29-2021, 12:44 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Agree with Phrog, amber is probably a better description of the color, like watery honey. Even at 60k miles my drained fluid looked like new, and others have reported the same. Short of a shredded clutch there just isn't any way for it to get contaminated (unlike motor oil) so it won't look dirty.

Hopefully everything is fine but just in case it isn't, at most only 2/3 of the fluid comes out even with a pan drop. That's why multiple flushes would be needed if there's a problem.
dan71cat (06-29-2021)
Old 06-29-2021, 02:35 PM
dgjks6
Drifting

This is the final drive drain plug. I see no washer.

Name:  photo586.jpg
Views: 2806
Size:  1.74 MB
dan71cat (06-29-2021)
Old 06-29-2021, 02:54 PM
dan71cat
AutoX

This is the final drive drain plug. I see no washer.
Looks like there is no washer in the clutch part as well. They done other work as well, so it could've come from there

Anyways, the Service manager responded and done his best, I am satisfied 100%

"The final drive unit fluid 000-043-305-49 we have in 20 liter bulk containers. The parts entered the wrong quantity. But I was talking with our Sales Manager and he said because you were promised "PDK SERVICE" and we don't know when the clutch fluid was replaced we will pay to do the clutch fluid replacement of the PDK and to give you peace of mind. "

Will book appointment at Porsche's own dealership (there is only one owned by them in the area) and of course will ask them to examine the fluid (if they can not get me the sample).

Last edited by dan71cat; 06-29-2021 at 02:56 PM.
Old 07-08-2021, 02:23 PM
Body In White
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 169 Posts

I just tackled the the PDK gear oil change, PDK clutch fluid change and PDK pan replacement DIY. I put some more info over in the other thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post17538655
The following 2 users liked this post by Body In White:
Big Swole (07-17-2021), dan71cat (07-09-2021)

Quick Reply: PDK - clutch and transmission oil change