Sponsored by:

Stone Guard PPF OVER full PPF

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 08:20 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 159 Posts
Default Stone Guard PPF OVER full PPF

I had full PPF put on my rear quarters which, of course, means the old PPF stone guards were removed.
The stone guards are a wear item that should be replaced every few years.
The PPF is not and will last much longer.
My concern is that rear fender area where the stone guards used to be will still get peppered with road debris. In effect my full quarter PPF will become a wear item in that area taking the brunt of the detritus that's kicked up.
Given the cost is a lot more to replace the full PPF, I thought about adding the stone guards on top of the PPF and would replace them a few years down the line.

My concern with that is having no idea how PPF interacts when stuck to other PPF. Will it be as easy to remove PPF down the line from the full PPF as it is from the painted metal?
Anyone with any experience with this and recommendations?
I'll probably phone a couple installers but figured I'd see what your experiences were.
Old 09-12-2018, 08:48 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,552 Likes on 4,167 Posts

Not wanting to risk pulling the clearcoat off the rear quarters, I applied carbon fiber vinyl over the original stone guards. After 2 years, the corners are starting to lift a little so I don't think getting it off later will be a problem for you. Should work fine to protect your larger PPF and is a good idea. Since you're will be attached to a smooth surface without an edge, probably less likely to lift at the edges too.

Old 09-12-2018, 03:36 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 358 Likes on 253 Posts

If you have the whole quarter PPF, you wouldn't need stone guards. The peppering I've seen were the rockers below the stone guards and the rear inner fender area where a splash guard would normally go. If you have the newer PPF that self heals, you should be fine.

Quick Reply: Stone Guard PPF OVER full PPF