Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a 997TT; what is this RUF part?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2018, 09:48 PM
J.Ho
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Buying a 997TT; what is this RUF part?

Hi -
Looking at this '08 997TT. It's got some aftermarket upgrades already. Not super familiar with 997's had all the other models . Anyone know what this RUF part is?

Old 09-10-2018, 10:00 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 124 Posts

Petza914 should have the answer. I believe he has a RUF.
Old 09-10-2018, 10:29 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 557 Likes on 366 Posts

Thats just the RUF logo on the stock airbox. Could be one of a few different conversions supplied for the 997TT platform. Does it have the RUF wheels?
Old 09-10-2018, 11:52 PM
J.Ho
Racer

Originally Posted by saabin
Thats just the RUF logo on the stock airbox. Could be one of a few different conversions supplied for the 997TT platform. Does it have the RUF wheels?
No, the car has HRE wheels. Here's some more pics. Waiting on dealer to send me the mod list.

Old 09-10-2018, 11:57 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,260 Likes on 810 Posts

Those are special seats!!!
Old 09-11-2018, 12:02 AM
J.Ho
Racer

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
Those are special seats!!!
Old 09-11-2018, 12:48 AM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 557 Likes on 366 Posts

Looks to be sport adaptive seats with body colored backs and deviated stitching, a nice option available from the factory. Interior doesn't look "RUF"ed, as most conversions I have seen have a RUF steering wheel. Also the front and rear bumpers look stock except for some additional painting on the exhaust tip trim and a badge delete. Stock exhaust tips. You may ask if the rear spoiler is permanently extended or did they just put it up for the pics. Some people disable the auto deployment when they fail rather than fix the hydraulics.

You should be be able to look up the VIN and see what came from the factory. I don't see anything in the pics that makes me think it is a true RUF conversion.

Looks good! I love white on a 997..
Old 09-11-2018, 08:20 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Obviously not a "RUF VIN" car but this may be a Ruf turbo conversion - usually consisting of ECU modification, exhaust, BMC air filter and Sachs clutch. IIRC this bumped HP to 550. If it was a Ruf conversion there should be some paperwork documenting the changes.
Old 09-11-2018, 10:02 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,756 Likes on 4,299 Posts

Good info here from jhbrennan and saabin in that there doesn't look to be much RUF work done to that car (no body mods like bumpers or spoilers or interior mods like pedals, steering wheel or gauges, etc). Seeing a view from underneath the engine would help a lot as it's unlikely, but possible that the previous owner just bought a RUF airbox.

My car is a RUF conversion using their supercharger platform rather than the Turbo one, but still included intake and exhaust mods, a different DME, additional cooling, and some other body upgrades, etc. The conversion on a Turbo car is easier but would still have a RUF DME. Unfortunately to check that you're going to have to access the DME by removing the rear seat backs and Bose Subwoofer.

A RUF modified DME will have a RUF logo and part # on it.

With RUF turbo mods, I'm assuming they would enlarge the intercoolers, replace the DME with a RUF tuned one (like above photo), change the airbox (the part we can see with the RUF logo), upgrade the exhaust, and possibly change the turbos. Any changed parts should have RUF logos and part #s on them that start with an "R".

The photo of the engine bay is cropped just low enough where you can't see the hydraulic pump or any hydraulic rams for the rear spoiler - could still be functional active aero or could now have a fixed upper wing. If it has been converted to a fixed position wing, when you test drive the car, make sure to take it past 77 MPH to verify that the active aero was correctly coded out and you don't get a spoiler failure message. If you do, it will happen again around 45 MPH on the way back down too as it looks for the limit switch signals that normally control the wing functionality. If it's now a fixed wing spoiler, you can pretty easily convert it back using either electric E-ram kits from Rennkit or I have a complete hydraulics system I could sell you.

Any true RUF work will also come with a certificate of authenticity and a serial # for the upgrade done, that will look like this one from my car, which was the 3rd R-Kompressor they did.

That's a beautiful car though. Very nicely optioned with the Adaptive Sport Plus Seats (same I have in my car and the most comfortable 997 seats) and the HRE wheels. Good luck with the purchase if you decide to follow through.

I'm guessing it's in the $80-$85k range depending on what RUF parts are under the car?
Old 09-11-2018, 12:31 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Also, if it is a Ruf turbo conversion it's likely it was done at RAC. You might call them and see if they have any records of what was done and when.
Old 09-11-2018, 12:36 PM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 543 Likes on 296 Posts

Car looks nice.

Could just be a sticker, or could be the RUF 550 (which is a tune, turbos, etc.)

I think TTSurgeon had a RUF 550 at some point.
Old 09-11-2018, 02:21 PM
Meursault88
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The ruf part is convincing the wife this is money well spent.

I asked my dog and he also said 'ruf'.

Quick Reply: Buying a 997TT; what is this RUF part?