Sponsored by:

Rear LED light assistance

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2018 | 01:21 PM
norcalccd
Rennlist Member

Default Rear LED light assistance

Hello fellow Porsche enthusiasts
A friend told a 06 Carrera S in trade a few weeks ago. One of the LED rail lights didn’t work. He replaced them with OEM. He gave me these and I was hoping to get some support form fellow Rennlisters.
1- can anyone give me any information on theses
2- I understand a resistor is bad ( thoughts)
3- should I try to repair or toss and get new LED or RED OEM
thank you for your comments

Old 08-05-2018 | 01:31 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

That light looks like a Depo/Dectane unit. I have no idea if it’s repairable or not. Personally, I think the 997.1 cars look best with the OE solid red tail lights. They’re unique, and only sold for the 997.1 series cars.
Old 08-05-2018 | 07:36 PM
shyamvenky
Burning Brakes

I would reach out to Dectane or its retailers and ask for more details on the resistor.
Maybe you can add the required resistors yourself outside the LED assembly.
In the early days of LED tail lights, folks used to add the resistors themselves, but you need the right resistance value.
Old 08-06-2018 | 09:29 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Have you tried them on your car yet? First thing is to make sure the light functions. Get out some test leads and a spare 12v battery. Hook the black test lead to the - battery post and the red one to the + post. Then vertical carefully test each pin in the light plug holding the black lead on the ground pin and touching tge red one to each other pin in tge plug. It's beneficial to have a helper so they can tell you if the light comes on as you cycle through the pins because there's not a lit of room in the plug and you don't want to create a short accidentally.

If all the circuits in both lights illuminate when 12v are applied (rear fog light circuit on passenger's side probably won't as it's not supposed to) then plug them into your car and try all the lights. Dome bulb control modules are more sensitive to resistance than others and after the car detects a problem a few times in a row, actually cuts power to that side where nothing on the light will work until it's reset. Its possible you need a new main resistor or you may just be able to add one to the wiring g for the one section of the light that's tripping the error, like the turn signal, parking light circuit, or brake light circuit. Turn signal or parking light is usually the one that fails first.
Old 08-25-2018 | 11:07 PM
norcalccd
Rennlist Member

Hello,
I think I am going to sell them and go all red OEM. I have not done anything to them other than take them out of the box.
Apparently one of them worked and the other did not. For all I know they both worked and a wire was loose, don't know.
Suggestions on what they are worth? Never sold anything on this form so suggestions on best site to sell them. Thank you,
Old 08-25-2018 | 11:23 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

If one works and the other doesn't $150. If both worked, $400.
Old 08-26-2018 | 03:07 PM
ALEV8
Three Wheelin'

Resistor only defeats the “rear fog “ warning messages. Plug the unit into your existing harness to quickly ascertain functionality. Clean unibody behind tail lamp while you’re there. Done!

Quick Reply: Rear LED light assistance