Sponsored by:

Center Console Touch Up (rubberized) So. Cal Person

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 01:01 AM
CBA
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Center Console Touch Up (rubberized) So. Cal Person

Anyone have a source (person) who can do interior touch (rubberized surface) in Southern California? Would be great to find a CPO person that does work on the side. Ash Tray is scratched up and needs to be re-done. Need to color match Sea Blue Interior.

Thank you
Old 08-02-2018, 02:00 AM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 444 Likes on 161 Posts

My recommendation is to strip it completely and respray. I did a touch-up job with a reputable interior guy when I first bought mine. Looked good for a few months but the paint wore away in a few months and continued to scratch. You need to sand off the underlying soft-touch paint down to bare plastic to do it right. If you look in my profile you will see a post on steps I used to respray myself. Took a few hours and turned out perfect. 1year later it still looks perfect.

The biggest trick with yours is to match the blue interior.

Another option is to bite the bullet and buy a new console. They are selling for ~$650 on sonnenoemparts.com.
Old 08-02-2018, 02:19 AM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I hate that material. I replaced my center console with a leather one. Not cheap, but it looks good. But other areas like below the arm rests and now around the door pulls are starting to be a mess - the door pulls are getting like gooey or something. I reckon I could have them replaced with leather too - I've looked at the DIY - not sure if I want to get into all that! The center console was a good bit of work. I should probably try to sell the old CC to someone who wants to refinish it. I'll have to take a look at your post for DIY ideas on the armrests. Ugh!
Old 08-02-2018, 02:36 AM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

BTW, here's the link - took some work to find it.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...g-results.html
Old 08-02-2018, 02:11 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 355 Likes on 252 Posts

John @ MA Carbon has done some of the sticky rubberized interior parts. Even though he's up in NorCal, it might worth a shot to contact him.

https://www.macarbon.com/sticky-refinishing
Old 08-03-2018, 02:24 AM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 444 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by stevepow

Thx for pulling it up.

Re door pulls, my plastic under the leather armrest is a little scratched up but you really cant see it so not going to mess with it. If its your silver door pulls, I would just buy new ones. The silver paint in the interior is extremely hard to match and paint. I tried respraying my silver trim on my steering wheel and it was a nightmare. Took 4 attempts and multiple times sanding down to bare plastic.
Old 08-03-2018, 05:26 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

On the soft-touch paint, even with moderate scuffing, a respray will peel off because the underlying layer has undergone an age-related chemical reaction which is irreversible. For a lasting repair, all the soft-touch paint must be stripped off. Then use either a 3-step (primer made for plastic, paint, clear) or single-step (primerless, for plastic) paint depending on whether you want a gloss-body-color effect or a matte interior effect.

As for the silver plastic parts, those do not have soft-touch and can be prepped and resprayed, but definitely use a primerless paint. Take a door handle in to Home Depot and have them scan and make you up a batch of primerless paint, which will match closely. Spray both handles and any mismatch won't be obvious. Ditto for the steering wheel silver pieces...paint all of them. They need to match each other is all. The distance between the silver parts (except the 3 on the wheel) is far enough that nobody will notice a slight mismatch except perhaps a fanatic owner...if you're one of those then you probably aren't going to be satisfied without buying new ones.
Old 08-04-2018, 10:17 AM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 190 Likes on 107 Posts

Happy to help if you decide to swap it out for our custom painted rear consoles. Been doing this for 20 years, and our team has the expertise to handle the crappy soft touch finish and transform your console to a stunning work of art. Reach out with questions: info@bumperplugs.com

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

The following users liked this post:
myw (04-25-2020)
Old 08-05-2018, 09:30 AM
CBA
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TheBruce
My recommendation is to strip it completely and respray. I did a touch-up job with a reputable interior guy when I first bought mine. Looked good for a few months but the paint wore away in a few months and continued to scratch. You need to sand off the underlying soft-touch paint down to bare plastic to do it right. If you look in my profile you will see a post on steps I used to respray myself. Took a few hours and turned out perfect. 1year later it still looks perfect.

The biggest trick with yours is to match the blue interior.

Another option is to bite the bullet and buy a new console. They are selling for ~$650 on sonnenoemparts.com.
I hate that material. I replaced my center console with a leather one. Not cheap, but it looks good. But other areas like below the arm rests and now around the door pulls are starting to be a mess - the door pulls are getting like gooey or something. I reckon I could have them replaced with leather too - I've looked at the DIY - not sure if I want to get into all that! The center console was a good bit of work. I should probably try to sell the old CC to someone who wants to refinish it. I'll have to take a look at your post for DIY ideas on the armrests. Ugh!

Originally Posted by DesmoSD
John @ MA Carbon has done some of the sticky rubberized interior parts. Even though he's up in NorCal, it might worth a shot to contact him.

https://www.macarbon.com/sticky-refinishing
Originally Posted by TheBruce
Thx for pulling it up.

Re door pulls, my plastic under the leather armrest is a little scratched up but you really cant see it so not going to mess with it. If its your silver door pulls, I would just buy new ones. The silver paint in the interior is extremely hard to match and paint. I tried respraying my silver trim on my steering wheel and it was a nightmare. Took 4 attempts and multiple times sanding down to bare plastic.
Originally Posted by Ben Z
On the soft-touch paint, even with moderate scuffing, a respray will peel off because the underlying layer has undergone an age-related chemical reaction which is irreversible. For a lasting repair, all the soft-touch paint must be stripped off. Then use either a 3-step (primer made for plastic, paint, clear) or single-step (primerless, for plastic) paint depending on whether you want a gloss-body-color effect or a matte interior effect.

As for the silver plastic parts, those do not have soft-touch and can be prepped and resprayed, but definitely use a primerless paint. Take a door handle in to Home Depot and have them scan and make you up a batch of primerless paint, which will match closely. Spray both handles and any mismatch won't be obvious. Ditto for the steering wheel silver pieces...paint all of them. They need to match each other is all. The distance between the silver parts (except the 3 on the wheel) is far enough that nobody will notice a slight mismatch except perhaps a fanatic owner...if you're one of those then you probably aren't going to be satisfied without buying new ones.
[QUOTE=Eric - Plug Guy;15190455]Happy to help if you decide to swap it out for our custom painted rear consoles. Been doing this for 20 years, and our team has the expertise to handle the crappy soft touch finish and transform your console to a stunning work of art. Reach out with questions: info@bumperplugs.com

Thanks guys. Great input. Need to get it done professionally as I actually did sand it down and bought some Sea Blue rubberized paint and it came out nice but the blue is too light or brighter than the rest of the interior color. Kind of bummed.
Old 08-06-2018, 12:31 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by CBA
Thanks guys. Great input. Need to get it done professionally as I actually did sand it down and bought some Sea Blue rubberized paint and it came out nice but the blue is too light or brighter than the rest of the interior color. Kind of bummed.
If it came out nice then your prep/paint skills are good, the only problem is the color match, so I don't see any reason to pay someone $$$$ to redo it. I would just remove the console, surface prep, clean thoroughly, and respray another coat or two of the correct color. But before that, do a test-spray on a sample paddle and let it dry thoroughly, then adjust your mix if necessary before actually spraying the console. Even with modern-day scanning it's possible to get a mismatch, so always test first.

Old 08-08-2018, 10:18 PM
CBA
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ben Z
If it came out nice then your prep/paint skills are good, the only problem is the color match, so I don't see any reason to pay someone $$$$ to redo it. I would just remove the console, surface prep, clean thoroughly, and respray another coat or two of the correct color. But before that, do a test-spray on a sample paddle and let it dry thoroughly, then adjust your mix if necessary before actually spraying the console. Even with modern-day scanning it's possible to get a mismatch, so always test first.
Thanks, yes I probably could do that, but at that point I think I would just pay the $600 and have it all covered in leather and be done with it.

Quick Reply: Center Console Touch Up (rubberized) So. Cal Person