Old 08-01-2018, 03:35 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,562 Likes on 940 Posts
Default Coulour me complex! Paint.

Cool article on paint.......

https://www.wired.com/story/car-paint-colors/

There is a local paint shop Karosserie who I feel is the best shop around. Don't ask me how I know...... Steve there told me once "stop by anytime, you're family!". ~sigh~

Anywho......their techs have spent time being certified in the UK by Jaguar, Italy by Ferrari, and are certified for a bunch more high end cars.. Lambo, Tesla etc...... and they are darn good. Anywho... they were the only shop that I can say does good work. Three other shops I tried around here were just awful, and one of them was partly owned by Lexus.... I just discovered two years after a repair they made, and inner panel is missing! If you want to know, really want to know, how a car is built... the quality, talk to these guys. I love going in there... amazing stories once you get to know them. The reason I am mentioning them is that matching paint is really tough... you really need to do your homework to find a good spot. Oh, and one of the worst sprays I had was from my dealer's recommended shop.

I remember when I purchase my 2000 Boxster S in 2000, folks were smacking them up and going crazy trying to find a shop that used Glasurit paint....... total waste of time.... check out the article. BTW, there was a rash of paint company consolidations that hit a bunch of years ago... both home and auto..... you couldn't find a bucket of original "Ruby Red Metallic" if your life depended on it.... why? It just doesn't exist.... see the article.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 08-01-2018 at 05:03 PM.
Old 08-01-2018, 04:50 PM
GT3_ISH
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a trusted paint source as well.

They've used a color camera on my car in about 5-6 different spots, mixed up his top 2 guesses, sprayed color cards, then held that up to the car in various light. The result was a better matched bumper than my OEM was, it was remarkable.

Quick Reply: Coulour me complex! Paint.