Sponsored by:

Need advice on Wheel fitment

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 12:30 PM
HeatSeeker
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need advice on Wheel fitment

Looking around for a set of wheels for my 997.1 C2S. I have the option of going with fully custom built wheels to my specs or getting pre-made wheels specifically built for a 997.

I found a wheel I really love for sale locally (much cheaper than going custom built, obviously) with the following specs:

Front: 19x9.5 +40
Rear: 19x12 +70

Please advise if you think any issues, I know for sure these were specifically made for the widebody models. I am familiar with aggressive wheel fitment and the typical modifications that can to be done (fender roll, camber, spacers, etc.) and would love this wide a wheel.

Pic for reference.

Old 07-26-2018, 01:23 PM
GT3_ISH
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+70 isnt enough for a widebody IMO, even if they are 12" wide.

I'm at +30 on an 11" wide wheel and the fitment is near factory, granted my car is lowered pretty far.
Old 07-26-2018, 01:30 PM
HeatSeeker
Advanced

Originally Posted by GT3_ISH

I'm at +30 on an 11" wide wheel and the fitment is near factory, granted my car is lowered pretty far.
My car is a narrow body (C2S) so should be aggressive vs stock. I just want to know if I can get it to work with normal modifications, not trying to pull fenders or go widebody.
Old 07-26-2018, 02:22 PM
ATSR
Burning Brakes

Received 203 Likes on 94 Posts

Are you sure you have +30 offset on an 11" wide wheel? With those measurements the wheel will poke out 37mm more when compared to the OEM size for a narrow body car which will cause the tire be outside the fender.

Originally Posted by HeatSeeker
My car is a narrow body (C2S) so should be aggressive vs stock. I just want to know if I can get it to work with normal modifications, not trying to pull fenders or go widebody.
OP, with the measurements you provided, the fronts are too wide at 9.5 inches and will poke out 36.1mm more than the OEM NB wheels with that offset, so they will not fit. The rear wheel will be 15mm closer to the strut and will poke out more only 9.7mm compared to stock NB wheels which is not very good either.

If you want your rear tires to be flush with the fenders, you should get something that pokes out approx 17mm more than the OEM NB wheels. 15mm will look good as well. Wide body wheels (51 offset) on a narrow body car gives you 16mm more than OEM NB sizes which works very nicely.

By the way, I highly recommend you play around with the different options at www.willtheyfit.com
Old 07-26-2018, 02:29 PM
HeatSeeker
Advanced

Originally Posted by ATSR
Are you sure you have +30 offset on an 11" wide wheel? With those measurements the wheel will poke out 37mm more when compared to the OEM size for a narrow body car which will cause the tire be outside the fender.

OP, with the measurements you provided, the fronts are too wide at 9.5 inches and will poke out 36.1mm more than the OEM NB wheels with that offset, so they will not fit. The rear wheel will be 15mm closer to the strut and will poke out more only 9.7mm compared to stock NB wheels which is not very good either.

If you want your rear tires to be flush with the fenders, you should get something that pokes out approx 17mm more than the OEM NB wheels. 15mm will look good as well. Wide body wheels (51 offset) on a narrow body car gives you 16mm more than OEM NB sizes which works very nicely.

By the way, I highly recommend you play around with the different options at www.willtheyfit.com
Thanks a lot! This is very helpful. The company selling the wheels is actually willing to do a test fit or rebuild the wheels for me to fit, just need to check on cost of a rebuild. This sets MSRP is nearly $6k and they are letting them go for $3k, and new.
Old 07-26-2018, 03:07 PM
GT3_ISH
Instructor

Originally Posted by ATSR

Yes. My car is a WB. Forgot to mention that.

I can tell just by looking at these specs that this was a really aggressive setup for a NB car. It just wouldn't make sense to custom make these specs for a WB car.
Old 07-27-2018, 10:00 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,702 Likes on 4,259 Posts

No way those fronts will work.

Here's a photo of an 8.5" wide wheel with a 42 offset I test fit onto my 997 C2S and they stuck out beyond the fenders. The ones you're looking at are a full inch wider - that by itself even if they were a 42 offset would add 12.5 more mm to the poke and with an et 40, 2 more so they would be 14.5mm further out than the wheels in this picture.

Optimal front offset on an 8.5" wide wheel on a 997 is et50. That looks like this. If the front wheel is 9.5, you need to add 12 to that offset to maintain the same outer position (et62), but that probably won't clear the inside strut

Old 07-27-2018, 10:33 AM
GT3_ISH
Instructor

Originally Posted by Petza914
Optimal front offset on an 8.5" wide wheel on a 997 is et50. That looks like this. If the front wheel is 9.5, you need to add 12 to that offset to maintain the same outer position (et62), but that probably won't clear the inside strut
This is dependent on ride height too. For the average drop, you're spot on.

For cars with coilovers and ride height dialed down a bit, or maybe a degree of camber tossed in the mix, things change quickly. Here is a photo of my car with a total effective offset of 40mm on a 19x8.5.
Old 07-27-2018, 10:51 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

For cars with coilovers and ride height dialed down a bit, or maybe a degree of camber tossed in the mix, things change quickly. Here is a photo of my car with a total effective offset of 40mm on a 19x8.5.
It's sometimes difficult to tell what things actually look like depending on the angle of the photos, which is why for wheel fitment shots, I usually show the shots from the front side of the car or down the full side of the car. I'm slightly dropped on Bilstein Damptronics, but the cargraphic AirLift keeps the front height just a little taller - it's about as low as I can go with the threaded collars and once I set those, I then corner balanced with 1 degree rear to front rake and GT3 alignment settings and ended up here, but I'm definitely higher than you and just slightly lower than stock. Looks like this.

OP, note that GT3_ISH talks about being at a 40 but it's on an 8.5" wide wheel. The wheels in your post are 9.5 so they would be 12.5mm further out that his setup because of the extra 1" of width, 1/2 of which goes inward and 1/2 of which comes outward.
Old 07-27-2018, 10:54 AM
HeatSeeker
Advanced

I agree the specs the wheels are currently in are far too aggressive and need to be rebuilt, which I plan on reaching out for the cost (if any).

My car will be on air suspension here within the next 1.5 months. I already have everything on order and just waiting for my custom bag setup to be built.

As of now, here is what I am thinking I will go with as far as specs: 19x8.5 +45 (maybe +42) Front and 19x11 +52
Old 07-27-2018, 11:05 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I agree the specs the wheels are currently in are far too aggressive and need to be rebuilt, which I plan on reaching out for the cost (if any).

My car will be on air suspension here within the next 1.5 months. I already have everything on order and just waiting for my custom bag setup to be built.

As of now, here is what I am thinking I will go with as far as specs: 19x8.5 +45 (maybe +42) Front and 19x11 +52
If you're doing custom wheels, no reason to leave the rears at a narrow 11". GT3 wheels are 19x12 et 68 (what's on my wife's car) and I based my custom Forgelines off these measurements but adjusted the rears to an et74 form my particular car, which looks like this. The wider wheel lets you run a wider rear tire for grip or if you stick with a 305 section width (Porsche spec for the GT3) flattens the tread for increased traction and stability. This setup requires notching of the plastic brake duct scoops, but otherwise fit perfectly.

Old 07-27-2018, 03:31 PM
Centerlock997
Intermediate

To be flush on a narrow body 997 you're looking at 8.5" X ET48 and 11.0" x ET56. This is what I'm running on mine and it's lowered as well.
Old 07-27-2018, 03:44 PM
GT3_ISH
Instructor

Originally Posted by Centerlock997
To be flush on a narrow body 997 you're looking at 8.5" X ET48 and 11.0" x ET56. This is what I'm running on mine and it's lowered as well.
According to your signature you're a 20" wheel, which also changes how the final outcome looks. The OP is going to be running 19" wheels.
Old 07-27-2018, 03:48 PM
Centerlock997
Intermediate

According to your signature you're a 20" wheel, which also changes how the final outcome looks. The OP is going to be running 19" wheels.
Good point. Tire choice will also play a factor due to aspect ratio. 20" is pushing it for sure...
Old 07-27-2018, 03:58 PM
GT3_ISH
Instructor

If you're going air, then i guess we would need to discuss tires. Are you a stretch tire and as flush wheel as you can get kind of guy? Or are you a 325 on a 12" wheel kind of guy?

Yours and Petza914's suggestions should keep you close to a happy medium with the car aired up or out IMO.

Quick Reply: Need advice on Wheel fitment