991.1 Sport Design wheel on 997.2 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Notices
997 Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.1 Sport Design wheel on 997.2

Reply

Old 07-20-2018, 06:47 PM
  #1  
Syntax
User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 8
Default 991.1 Sport Design wheel on 997.2

Hi all,

Purchased my first Porsche! Dead pleased. 997.2 c2s, 2009, good set of options.



It came with the 997.1 triangular wheel (and I assume 997.1 steering wheel control module), which many of the early 997.2ís did afaik,

Ive managed to get a good deal on a 991.1 Sport Design wheel and airbag, but Iím not sure what to expect for fitting this.

The car is manual, it has the multifunction stalk and multifunction controls on the steering wheel (which arenít great) - the new sport design wheel ISNT multifunction.
Now, I suspect Iíll have to replace the control module with a 997.2 or 991.1 module to get the airbag and horn to work... but Iím not sure and canít find any good info. Also expect there will be some coding required!

Hopefilly someone with more knowledge can help point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

Edit: hereís what Iíve learned so far
1. Upgrading from a manual, multifunction wheel (997.1+) is plug and play
2. Any manual, non multi-function, non heated wheel up to the 991.2 wheel will work
3. No new steering module or coding will be required
4. A steering wheel swap guide is available here

Last edited by Syntax; 07-22-2018 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Adding updated info
Syntax is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 07:47 PM
  #2  
amplitude
User
 
amplitude's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 62
Default

The steering wheel fits right onto the splines and the airbag plugs right in. The multifunction stuff I'm not so clear on, however.
amplitude is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 08:33 PM
  #3  
Syntax
User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 8
Default

Originally Posted by amplitude View Post
The steering wheel fits right onto the splines and the airbag plugs right in. The multifunction stuff I'm not so clear on, however.
thanks! I think the airbag connection differs between the 997.1 and 997.2/991.1 which required a module update?
Syntax is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 08:44 PM
  #4  
amplitude
User
 
amplitude's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 62
Default



I have a sport steering wheel from a 991.1 in my 2009 C2 PDK; it was plug and play, though I lost the heated function. Easy install; 20 min start to finish. The only thing I had to go out of my way to get was a Torx T55.
amplitude is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 08:56 PM
  #5  
Syntax
User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 8
Default

Originally Posted by amplitude View Post


I have a sport steering wheel from a 991.1 in my 2009 C2 PDK; it was plug and play, though I lost the heated function. Easy install; 20 min start to finish. The only thing I had to go out of my way to get was a Torx T55.
awesome, thanks! Did you have the 997.1 or 997.2 wheel originally? Was it non MF before?

edit: damn those black dials look amazing
Syntax is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 09:09 PM
  #6  
amplitude
User
 
amplitude's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 62
Default








As my car is PDK, it came with the (then) newer 997.2 steering wheel. I did not have the multifunction wheel, however.

Install was a breeze; very simple and straight forward.
amplitude is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 09:29 PM
  #7  
Syntax
User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 8
Default

Originally Posted by amplitude View Post
As my car is PDK, it came with the (then) newer 997.2 steering wheel. I did not have the multifunction wheel, however.

Install was a breeze; very simple and straight forward.
Looks great, absolutely my goal. I think you may have a different steering module to me (997.2 vs 997.1) so I may need to change mine... sounds like the 997.2 module works fine for the 991.1 wheel though, so narrows it down thanks!

edit: anyone gone from the 997.1 style wheel to higher in a 997.2? Did the module need replacing?
Syntax is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 11:38 PM
  #8  
alex911s
Man of Many Porsches
Rennlist Member
 
alex911s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: San Ramon, CA.
Posts: 1,778
Default

beautiful car .. congrats!! yes i replaced my 09 with sport design as well found a good deal here alcantara
alex911s is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 11:59 PM
  #9  
Jimmylim
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Jimmylim's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Kluang
Posts: 3
Default

Looks great bro. May i know where can i get this. i have a 997.2 and looking forward to have the same mod.
Jimmylim is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 01:06 AM
  #10  
amplitude
User
 
amplitude's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 62
Default

It's a factory option, though it's easy to retrofit. You can try the sales forum here on Rennlist; Suncoast and other sites may have it as well. There was a very large backorder on these steering wheels a few months back and subsequently some colors are now out of production as well (as per Suncoast).
amplitude is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 01:51 AM
  #11  
sandwedge
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
sandwedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 4,799
Default

Originally Posted by Jimmylim View Post
Looks great bro. May i know where can i get this. i have a 997.2 and looking forward to have the same mod.
Three options I'm aware of. I'm sure there are others.

1. Suncoast parts, factory wheel: https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/PDKPADDLE.html

2. Dallas Custom Steering Wheel: http://www.dallassteeringwheel.com/sw1.htm

3. DCT Motorsports: http://dctms.com/blogmain/2011/10/11...eel-st020j020/

Both Dallas and DCT will build a wheel to your specs where you can specify thickness, stitching, color and material. Cost varies but depends mostly on whether or not you have a core exchange. They build all wheels on stock Porsche wheels. I've bought two wheels from Dallas and it's one of the great overlooked mods out there. It's right there in your hands and in your face every moment you're in the car so I would do it again.





sandwedge is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 01:58 AM
  #12  
bhvrdr
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 499
Default

Just did this...


Straight up swap. Plug and play. 20 min deal

Mike
bhvrdr is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 03:10 AM
  #13  
Dripola
User
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 21
Default

Originally Posted by Syntax View Post
Hi all,

Purchased my first Porsche! Dead pleased. 997.2 c2s, 2009, good set of options.



It came with the 997.1 triangular wheel (and I assume 997.1 steering wheel control module), which many of the early 997.2ís did afaik,

Ive managed to get a good deal on a 991.1 Sport Design wheel and airbag, but Iím not sure what to expect for fitting this.

The car is manual, it has the multifunction stalk and multifunction controls on the steering wheel (which arenít great) - the new sport design wheel ISNT multifunction.
Now, I suspect Iíll have to replace the control module with a 997.2 or 991.1 module to get the airbag and horn to work... but Iím not sure and canít find any good info. Also expect there will be some coding required!

Hopefilly someone with more knowledge can help point me in the right direction.
Thanks!
I did mine last week. I have a manual 997.1. I replaced my control module with part number
99761329703. My horn and airbag work. You may have the right module already installed but you will have to dig into the column
to find out. There is a guy in China who is the guru on this his site GPS Adaptor has most of what you need. A lot of people reference the different module number I believe itís because theyíre mostly tiptronic cars.
best of luck, itís a great mod.

Dripola is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 07:04 AM
  #14  
Syntax
User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 8
Default

Originally Posted by Dripola View Post

I did mine last week. I have a manual 997.1. I replaced my control module with part number
99761329703. My horn and airbag work. You may have the right module already installed but you will have to dig into the column
to find out. There is a guy in China who is the guru on this his site GPS Adaptor has most of what you need. A lot of people reference the different module number I believe itís because theyíre mostly tiptronic cars.
best of luck, itís a great mod.

Thanks, I suspect I will have to upgrade the module too. Seems the 997.2 module will work fine for the 991.1 wheel. Do you have a link to the site you mentioned?
Syntax is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 08:43 AM
  #15  
Dripola
User
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 21
Default

Originally Posted by Syntax View Post


Thanks, I suspect I will have to upgrade the module too. Seems the 997.2 module will work fine for the 991.1 wheel. Do you have a link to the site you mentioned?
The used module I bought was from a 2009 car so you may be ok. Website is gpsadaptor.us. Go to the blog section you can find a link to how to change the module. I actually installed a 2017 tiptronic cayenne wheel. Removed the paddles and multifunction as it was so hard to find a good deal on a manual wheel. Given you already have steering controls activated his module may be of interest.
Dripola is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 991.1 Sport Design wheel on 997.2


Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: