Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended warranty plan

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2018, 11:45 AM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,071 Likes on 557 Posts

We had a local guy have an engine score bores a few months back. Car was well maintained. He did a DE once and they blamed the scoring on the DE event from a bunch of years back and dropped his policy. Likewise, I've had many people contact us wanting their insurance company to do the repairs right, but all they will put in is a used or budget "rebuilt" engine because they shop by price point, not what is in the customer's best interest. All in all, I don't have any faith with extended warranties unless the place that sells the warranty, like Carmax, is the point of contact for repairs (not that I would want Carmax rebuilding my engine). Just saying...
Old 08-03-2018, 01:11 PM
bhvrdr
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Charles Navarro
We had a local guy have an engine score bores a few months back. Car was well maintained. He did a DE once and they blamed the scoring on the DE event from a bunch of years back and dropped his policy. Likewise, I've had many people contact us wanting their insurance company to do the repairs right, but all they will put in is a used or budget "rebuilt" engine because they shop by price point, not what is in the customer's best interest. All in all, I don't have any faith with extended warranties unless the place that sells the warranty, like Carmax, is the point of contact for repairs (not that I would want Carmax rebuilding my engine). Just saying...

Im sure there is always a bad story. Fidelity and Carmax have been pretty good to folks here. though. Im not sure why they would ever know if I had been to a HPDE.

I'd actually prefer a used engine be put in my car. One that had never been opened up. If it were someone like you who did the engine rebuild thats one thing. In general though, I prefer a never opened engine to one that was rebuilt as I have seen just too many things that can be done incorrectly on rebuilds even by supposedly very skilled mechanics. It only takes one oversight to compromise a rebuild.

Mike
Old 08-03-2018, 01:59 PM
USNA12
Banned

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Best prices for Fidelity? Please PM me
Old 08-03-2018, 03:28 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,012 Likes on 1,262 Posts

Originally Posted by USNA12

Me too please!
Old 08-03-2018, 05:16 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bhvrdr
Im sure there is always a bad story. Fidelity and Carmax have been pretty good to folks here. though. Im not sure why they would ever know if I had been to a HPDE.

I'd actually prefer a used engine be put in my car. One that had never been opened up. If it were someone like you who did the engine rebuild thats one thing. In general though, I prefer a never opened engine to one that was rebuilt as I have seen just too many things that can be done incorrectly on rebuilds even by supposedly very skilled mechanics. It only takes one oversight to compromise a rebuild.

Mike
Wise man. I've seen thousands of blocks and unless they have less than say, 20k miles, the bores are always more than .002" out of round and tapered and beyond Porsche's wear limit. Budget rebuilds ignore this fact and throw rings at it hoping for the best. Only in the fine print do you see they sleeve cylinders that have damage or offer for significantly more a sleeving option. It's the old Motormeister tactic. Get you in the door with a low price and then hold you hostage.

The gentleman who had his policy cancelled had a Fidelity warranty. They were fighting fixing it right until they found some video on YouTube or something like that when they voided his warranty. Total BS.
Old 08-03-2018, 10:03 PM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Received 981 Likes on 529 Posts

Wise man. I've seen thousands of blocks and unless they have less than say, 20k miles, the bores are always more than .002" out of round and tapered and beyond Porsche's wear limit.
Is that normal wear to go out of round and or taper. What causes the bores to taper? Sorry off topic but I'm curious.
Old 08-04-2018, 01:19 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by USNA12
Originally Posted by Big Swole
Me too please!
Mike at Mossy Motors. About a 40% discount compared to regular prices. Just bought a 3 year, 36,000 mile policy for my GTS for about $5K. Mostly because I've already lived through a $14,000 PDK failure. Had 56,000 miles on the car when he quoted me the price. Get the Platinum policy which is exclusionary. In other words, they specify what's NOT covered rather than what's covered. Makes for much less hassles when and if there's a claim.

Mike seems to prefer text or email btw.

Email: mjourdan@mossymotors.com

Phone:
504-352-8796
Old 08-04-2018, 01:35 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

I've been debating a warranty for my 2012 TTS. Mainly due to the PDK cost to replace.

I'd be Livid if I paid for a warranty and they wouldn't cover the cost to replace.
As I just posted above, the PDK is the only reason I just bought my Fidelity policy. As for being denied coverage, I suspect most who end up in a mess like that have non exclusionary policies that specify what's covered rather than exclusionary policies that specify what's not covered. Much easier for the insurer to wiggle their way out of coverage with a non exclusionary policy. The list of covered item is quiet lengthy which leaves them a lot of room for interpretation and that's where you get screwed. On an exclusionary policy, the list of items not covered is typically pretty short and amounts mostly to wear and tear items. At least this is what I've seen over the years having bought a number of these policies.
Old 08-04-2018, 09:16 AM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by prairiedawg
Is that normal wear to go out of round and or taper. What causes the bores to taper? Sorry off topic but I'm curious.
Just the crappiness of the original block and cylinder technology. Much better in the subsequent 9A1 engines, for what it is worth. Those can actually wear out.

From a cylinder perspective, the base Boxster seems to have the least number of issues followed by the Boxster S in 2003 and later model year cars, followed by the 2.5 Boxster (as long as you don't get one that was sleeved from the factory that can have a slipped sleeve failure).
Old 08-04-2018, 01:17 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Mike at Mossy Motors. About a 40% discount compared to regular prices. Just bought a 3 year, 36,000 mile policy for my GTS for about $5K. Mostly because I've already lived through a $14,000 PDK failure. Had 56,000 miles on the car when he quoted me the price. Get the Platinum policy which is exclusionary. In other words, they specify what's NOT covered rather than what's covered. Makes for much less hassles when and if there's a claim.

Mike seems to prefer text or email btw.

Email: mjourdan@mossymotors.com

Phone:
504-352-8796
As I just posted above, the PDK is the only reason I just bought my Fidelity policy. As for being denied coverage, I suspect most who end up in a mess like that have non exclusionary policies that specify what's covered rather than exclusionary policies that specify what's not covered. Much easier for the insurer to wiggle their way out of coverage with a non exclusionary policy. The list of covered item is quiet lengthy which leaves them a lot of room for interpretation and that's where you get screwed. On an exclusionary policy, the list of items not covered is typically pretty short and amounts mostly to wear and tear items. At least this is what I've seen over the years having bought a number of these policies.

Thank you very much!!! $5k for about 3 years? Hmmm. I know it's a gamble but just it might be the peace of mind I need.

Old 08-04-2018, 02:01 PM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Just the crappiness of the original block and cylinder technology. Much better in the subsequent 9A1 engines, for what it is worth. Those can actually wear out.

From a cylinder perspective, the base Boxster seems to have the least number of issues followed by the Boxster S in 2003 and later model year cars, followed by the 2.5 Boxster (as long as you don't get one that was sleeved from the factory that can have a slipped sleeve failure).
Thank you, that confirms my bias towards my purchase towards getting a "09, PDK issues and all.
I also wonder if its worth it to get an aftermarket power train warranty just for a PDK . I can't justify a full warranty based on the miles I will drive the car and I can't see using it to repair a cup holder.
Old 08-05-2018, 02:38 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Thank you very much!!! $5k for about 3 years? Hmmm. I know it's a gamble but just it might be the peace of mind I need.
You bet. Aside from the PDK, isn't there an issue with some coolant lines or something on the turbo that has a somewhat high failure rate and are expensive to repair? Or was that just on earlier models? Either way, I've only lost money on one of these policies and that was on the -06 C4S. Made up for and then some with the $14K PDK replacement on the -09 C4S which also had the water pump fail and a few other odds and ends. All covered in full with no discussion. So I'm way ahead even if I have zero claims on the $5K policy I just bought for the GTS.
Old 08-05-2018, 02:49 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Forgot to mention, you have a newer car than I have and less miles on it. The price on the policy goes up pretty drastically with the miles on the car so chances are your price will be lower, unless they add a premium for the turbo.
Old 08-05-2018, 07:57 AM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

You bet. Aside from the PDK, isn't there an issue with some coolant lines or something on the turbo that has a somewhat high failure rate and are expensive to repair? Or was that just on earlier models? Either way, I've only lost money on one of these policies and that was on the -06 C4S. Made up for and then some with the $14K PDK replacement on the -09 C4S which also had the water pump fail and a few other odds and ends. All covered in full with no discussion. So I'm way ahead even if I have zero claims on the $5K policy I just bought for the GTS.
Curious, what were your specifics on your PDK failure? I'm in the middle of purchasing an 09 C4S. What were the mileage, symptoms, and whose aftermarket warranty did you use? How many mile on the car when you bought it? Sorry to pepper you with a bunch of questions, just looking to iron any bugs out before take the plunge.
Old 08-05-2018, 11:46 AM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Yeah the coolant line issue is with the older Mezger TT's 01-09 (Not as much from mid 08-09 though).

Forgot to mention, you have a newer car than I have and less miles on it. The price on the policy goes up pretty drastically with the miles on the car so chances are your price will be lower, unless they add a premium for the turbo.
I will have to see on the price and way the pros / cons. But $14K for a PDK could be Well worth it.

Quick Reply: Extended warranty plan