Sponsored by:

Gearbox lube change help

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 10:44 PM
pbxtr!!
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Gearbox lube change help

So after researching here for a fix to my gearbox issues (unable to get on 1st gear from stop and grinding 5th gear synchro when cold) I decided to change the OEM oil with Mobilube PTX.

I ordered the oil from Suncoast ok, but my local dealer does not stock replacement drain/fill plug seal rings. They told me my car is too old ('06 C2S) so they would have to order from Atlanta for over $50 each.

Something is wrong here right? What have others here done regarding replacement seal rings??
Old 07-11-2018, 11:18 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 124 Posts

Any copper or aluminum washer the same size will work. Run to your local car parts store. They should have something. It is nothing more than a crush washer.
Old 07-11-2018, 11:28 PM
swingwing
Pro

Received 93 Likes on 70 Posts

I bought mine from AutohausAZ for $0.32 each. That’s right: 32 cents each. They’re OEM. They weren’t the only items on that order; I also had air filters, oil filter, drain plug. Everything rolled up got me free shipping. Your local dealership parts department is in outer space.

And then there’s this: You’ll find I.D. and O.D. on the trans plug (18 x 24mm) sealing rings are the same as that on the oil drain plug seal ring. Only difference is that the trans plug seal is 2mm thick vs 1.5mm on the oil drain plug seal. Insignificant in my book.

Last edited by swingwing; 07-12-2018 at 12:08 AM. Reason: Added sentences.
Old 07-12-2018, 11:49 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,139 Likes on 3,912 Posts

Originally Posted by swingwing
And then there’s this: You’ll find I.D. and O.D. on the trans plug (18 x 24mm) sealing rings are the same as that on the oil drain plug seal ring. Only difference is that the trans plug seal is 2mm thick vs 1.5mm on the oil drain plug seal. Insignificant in my book.
This ^^^

and you must have some spare crush washers for the oil drain plug. An even better idea is to install one of LN Engineering's magnetic drain plugs in the trans drain joke and that will pull an ferrous gear wear away from the moving parts. Torque on those aluminum LN plugs is only 19 ft.lbs.

Quick Reply: Gearbox lube change help