Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Your Other Car... Get the same maintenence attention?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 01:10 PM
amplitude
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 15 Posts

Our other car is my wife's 2016 Range Rover Evoque, which is still under warranty (so we simply follow their maintenance schedule).

The only thing I really do on it is wash it and try to keep it clean. As it's her daily driver, trying to keep up on keeping it shiny is a full time job in it's own right.

Overall, not a lot of maintenance required on either car.
Old 07-10-2018, 01:15 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by My993C2
I knew I couldn't be the only one who owns a 911 and a Jeep Wrangler. Two iconic somewhat timeless machines.

Anyway my Wrangler is my daily driver and life blood during the winter months. So it is very important that the Wrangler always been in good mechanical shape.
Both are great vehicles although for very different reasons. Best rush at 2mph you will ever have. To use them for what they are intended I must keep them taken care of.

Old 07-10-2018, 04:30 PM
wc11
Race Car

Received 158 Likes on 100 Posts

The Japanese tank that is my Toyota 4Runner requires little other than what's routine but yes I treat it with just about the same care and do more than is necessary.
Old 07-10-2018, 06:41 PM
jeffleept
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm same boat as Amplitude. Except I DD my Evoque. 911 is really only taken out every other week for runs up Angeles Crest nowadays.

I care for each car the same: proper warmup, manufacture recommended maintenance, washed within a week of driving.
Old 07-10-2018, 06:54 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 360 Likes on 254 Posts

Since I do all of the maintenance, I take pride to make sure all of our cars and motos are up to date and clean.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:30 PM
amplitude
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 15 Posts

That's a gorgeous MKIV!
Old 07-10-2018, 10:42 PM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 298 Posts

This sounds like such a douche thing to say, but all my cars are Porsche, therefore they all get the **** retentive treatment!
I have taken pride as an owner of all my cars since I was a teenager... the OCD really helps!!

Funny thing is, this weekend my father in law had a work car that needed to be picked up from the airport. I ubered down and picked it up. It was filthy... I couldn't handle it and had it washed and I detailed the scuff marks a bit. When he returned home he could not believe it was his car!!! He said he can't remember it ever looking that clean! I got some good son in law points on that one. I didn't have the heart to tell him that I really did it for me!!!

Last edited by qikqbn; 07-11-2018 at 03:02 PM.
Old 07-10-2018, 11:04 PM
caitov
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

^ That's funny. Sounds familiar. I'm also that guy in the family who my in-laws are always telling to not look at their cars because of how dirty they are. They know how OCD I am about dirty cars.

Having said that, I know have 2 cars that now sit outside. It's a real PITA to keep them clean all the time.

Here's the "inside cars". They always stay clean...

I also try to maintain all my cars myself with the exception of the new ones. I can honestly say the 997 has been my favorite car in terms of maintenance. Not only very simple for a car of its type, but very satisfying as well.

Old 07-10-2018, 11:18 PM
ManoTexas
Three Wheelin'

Received 694 Likes on 419 Posts

Maintenance wise yes. All fluids every two years. Oil every 15. Synthetic is overkill at less than that for wife's x3. 911 gets oil every yr cause I only drive 6k/yr. And all other stuff done per schedule for both.
Will admit wash wax clean 911 regularly, can't stand dust or floor mats with dirt. I let her run thru car wash lol.
Old 07-11-2018, 01:48 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,725 Likes on 4,277 Posts

Originally Posted by ManoTexas
Maintenance wise yes. All fluids every two years. Oil every 15. Synthetic is overkill at less than that for wife's x3. 911 gets oil every yr cause I only drive 6k/yr. And all other stuff done per schedule for both.
Will admit wash wax clean 911 regularly, can't stand dust or floor mats with dirt. I let her run thru car wash lol.
Not to derail the thread but a 15,000 mile oil change interval is way too long on any motor. Run a UOA on your next one at that interval and look at the breakdown of the additive package, the viscosity indices, how acidic the oil has become, the trace metals and silica (dirt). If it's a lease, maybe you don't care, but if it's your car you plan to keep for a while, you're slowly killing the motor. You shouldn't really go longer than a 5,000 mile change interval on any vehicle, even with synthetic, especially on your 997.
Old 07-11-2018, 02:10 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 380 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by doclouie

Both are great vehicles although for very different reasons. Best rush at 2mph you will ever have. To use them for what they are intended I must keep them taken care of.

my other vehicle is also a Jeep. Purpose built for going magical places.
A Few months ago we traversed the Mojave Desert. 130 Miles of adventure.

Old 07-11-2018, 02:27 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,725 Likes on 4,277 Posts

Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
my other vehicle is also a Jeep. Purpose built for going magical places.
A Few months ago we traversed the Mojave Desert. 130 Miles of adventure.

Loving the 2 ducks surfing your "bow" wave
Old 07-11-2018, 03:25 AM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by caitov
^ That's funny. Sounds familiar. I'm also that guy in the family who my in-laws are always telling to not look at their cars because of how dirty they are. They know how OCD I am about dirty cars.

Having said that, I know have 2 cars that now sit outside. It's a real PITA to keep them clean all the time.

Here's the "inside cars". They always stay clean...

I also try to maintain all my cars myself with the exception of the new ones. I can honestly say the 997 has been my favorite car in terms of maintenance. Not only very simple for a car of its type, but very satisfying as well.

great looking stable. I can tell the ocd runs deep. just fyi , I think I see a spec of dust underneath the black bumperette
Old 07-11-2018, 02:55 PM
JustRob
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't pay any attention to the maintenance needs/schedule of my wife's Lexus, she's a big girl and she follows it herself. My other car is a 2008 Altima Coupe and it gets oil changes not more than every 5000 miles, regular maintenance within a couple thousand miles of the recommended schedule, and whatever comes up that's not on the schedule (such as the new coil packs six or seven months ago). We wash all three cars as often as time permits and don't let trash accumulate in them. Pretty well taken care of vehicles. Heck, the Alty just turned 253,000 miles last week and it still looks and runs almost (95%) as well as the day I bought it so I'm doing something right!
Old 07-11-2018, 04:38 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 360 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by amplitude
That's a gorgeous MKIV!
Thank you! She get's a lot of thumbs up and a ton of respect from other car enthusiasts.

The Duc receives top notch maint as well.

Quick Reply: Your Other Car... Get the same maintenence attention?