Sponsored by:

Sports Exhaust and OBDII Monitors Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 01:04 AM
sbbarnett
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Sports Exhaust and OBDII Monitors Help

Greetings: I've owned my new-to-me 2005 997 Carrera S Cab (w 63k miles) for all of 10-days. I've been really busy with it, and I've gotten some good advice here, for which I am very appreciative. So I'm going back to the well for help on two more issues:

PSE: It's been working fine on every drive until yesterday. After selecting Sport Mode, I felt the normal change in throttle responsiveness, but no change in exhaust note. I disconnected the vacuum tube from the change-over valve (labeled 15 below), and the music is back, so I know it's likely something in the control circuit. Can anyone advise on a way to test it to narrow down the cause? I could meter at the pins on wire going to the change-over valve, but I don't know what values to look for. Alternately, I'm thinking of just ordering a new valve, as it should be easy to change.

OBDII Monitors: Here in the great state on California, I can't register the car in my name without passing smog first. I took it in yesterday for the test, and it failed due to 2 OBDII Monitors Not Ready: Evaporative System, and Secondary Air System. The car passed its last smog about 10 months, and less that 1 thousand miles ago. I'm hoping that this is because I've had the battery disconnected for a few days while I worked on the car, and that these monitors will become ready after some drive time. I drove around quite a bit today (maybe 1.5 hours of mixed driving), but they are still reporting Not Ready. Any input on my logic above, or things I can check?

Thank you - Steve
Old 07-09-2018, 06:03 AM
larrysb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

It is most likely due to the battery being disconnected. Not sure what you need to do to complete the readiness cycle, but driving it is the simple way. The evaporative system is the fuel tank vapor system. You might need to fill the tank to 75% or better and drive it. A couple of days, including at least one cold start.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:54 AM
ChicagoSpeed996
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yep, due to battery disconnect. You will need a mix of street driving and highway driving. Sustained speeds of over 50mph and then off accelerator slow down, etc. Here are examples of drive cycles: https://www.nyvip.org/PublicSite/OBD...-monitors.html Basically do a mix of drive cycles with about 1/2 tank of fuel. Evap may be during the idle startup, so make sure to have 1/2 tank of fuel, have a cold vehicle (8 hours of sitting), start vehicle and let idle till tick over, then go drive.
Old 07-09-2018, 10:33 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,171 Likes on 3,935 Posts

The PSE default position is valves closed and quiet mode. As soon as you start the car and the vacuum solenoid receives voltage, it will pull the valves shut. Pushing the Sport button has the solenoid release vacuum and the springs in the exhaust valves open them to loud or sport mode. You should be able to diagnose the system pretty easily. Check for voltage at the solenoid when the car is first started, then push the button on the dash and check for the absence or a drop in voltage at the solenoid. If both of those tests look normal, then you need to start looking for a mechanical issue, either with the hoses running from the vacuum solenoid to the the valves on the mufflers or either the muffler valves themselves - they do go bad.
Old 07-10-2018, 02:07 AM
sbbarnett
Instructor

Update and follow up question:
After using the car for my 23 mile commute today I checked the OBDII monitors and everything was good to go.

I metered the change-over valve selenoid. With sport deselected the valve was seeing a little over 12v. With Sport selected the reading was a little over 9v. I reconnected the vac line and plugged the connector back in, and it seemed t be working normally again. I'm theorizing that there was an intermittent connection at the solenoid.

I did did discover that I like the option of the sport exhaust with the lazier throttle responses be in non-sport mode. Can anyone comment on any long term reason not to just leave the he vac line disconnected? If I go that route I would cap the line to prevent foreign matter for getting in there.
Old 07-10-2018, 03:15 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,171 Likes on 3,935 Posts

Originally Posted by sbbarnett
I did did discover that I like the option of the sport exhaust with the lazier throttle responses be in non-sport mode. Can anyone comment on any long term reason not to just leave the he vac line disconnected? If I go that route I would cap the line to prevent foreign matter for getting in there.
That's the 1 drawback to PSE with Sport Chrono - you can't have the sports exhaust note without the remapped throttle. What Porsche should have done was made a separate button for the exhaust like they did for the PASM setting so you could be all Sport mode (throttle map, suspension, & exhaust) or run any 1 or 2 of those independently. I was lucky in that my car was optioned with PSE but not Sport Chrono and my wife's has Sport Chrono, but not PSE. I agree with you in that I don't like the way her car drives with the Sport Button pressed. You have 3 options, you could just unplug the electrical connector from the vacuum solenoid, which will leave the lines hooked up but never have the solenoid pull vacuum keeping the mufflers in Sport mode all the time, you could wire up a separate switch to the vacuum solenoid so you could control it manually, or you could buy a remote kit if you don't want to run wires all the way to the back of the car. There's a kit called Monza and another from Carnewal that will give you independent control over the muffler solenoid - Fabspeed used to offer one too, but not sure they do any longer.

I personally like having the ability to quiet the car down on command, like when driving next to a cop in traffic or leaving the neighborhood early in the morning for a flight, but there are quite a few members on here that just unplugged the solenoid.
Old 07-10-2018, 11:28 AM
sbbarnett
Instructor

Thank you Pete. I agree about being able to quiet it when appropriate. I'll look into a remote switch.

Cheers - Steve

Quick Reply: Sports Exhaust and OBDII Monitors Help