Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Breaking in the new engine: Doing it wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 11:05 PM
4Driver4
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 274 Posts
Default Breaking in the new engine: Doing it wrong?

As of tonight, I have just shy of 400 miles on the rebuilt engine in my 2007 C4. The engine was bumped to 3.8, and everything I could think of has been replaced along the way. My plan was to go 500 miles on Joe Gibbs break in oil, then switch to synthetic. Good to go, or doomed?
Old 07-08-2018, 11:07 PM
cosm3os
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 56 Posts

What did your engine builder tell you to do? After all, hes the one you will want to honor the warranty.
Old 07-08-2018, 11:14 PM
4Driver4
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cosm3os
What did your engine builder tell you to do? After all, hes the one you will want to honor the warranty.
The guy that built the engine for me has been very difficult to deal with. Initially, he promised to have this rebuild done in a few months, but he has had this car in his shop for over a year. He works full time elsewhere, and only works on the car when he has spare time, which is far less often than I expected. Further, he's not very familiar with Porsche, and has been learning as he goes along. Really, it's just shy of a miracle that the car runs at this point. I know that if anything goes wrong, I'll be the one paying the bill.
Old 07-09-2018, 12:12 AM
the_buch
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts

I tend toward the Motoman approach (lots of short-duration load variability with dino oil before an early change-out), but would love to hear the high-end rebuilders chime in on this topic??
Old 07-09-2018, 07:46 AM
platinum997
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 131 Posts

Never had any issues doing the following.

Intial start up. After idle settles down, varry rpm from 1000-3000 for 20 min.. Change oil

Drive with various load up to 3000 rpm trying not to use the brake if possible. It's ok to get on it up to 3000 rpm. Let the engine slow itself down by just letting off the gas. The vaccum helps seal the rings. Do this on various trips for 100 miles. Change oil

Same as above but up to 5000 rpm for 250 miles. Change oil

Good to go and make sure you have some full throttle to redline pulls. Change oil at 1000 miles.

Use a magnetic drain plug if you can.
Old 07-09-2018, 12:06 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

RND has a very comprehensive break-in protocol, maybe that would help you out.
Old 07-09-2018, 12:44 PM
4Driver4
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ben Z
RND has a very comprehensive break-in protocol, maybe that would help you out.
Thanks. Almost too much info. Interesting that they say that the break in oil should not be run past 400 miles. I was planning on going 500 before switching to synthetic. They also recommend an "intermediate" oil between 400 and synthetic at a few thousand miles, but they don't really identify what that means.
Old 07-09-2018, 05:03 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
They also recommend an "intermediate" oil between 400 and synthetic at a few thousand miles, but they don't really identify what that means.
They mean a semi-synthetic 10w40 like Brad Penn. I think mine came with one of the Gibbs XP series, and DT40 was the recommended full-synthetic post-breakin. I see on the RND .pdf they don't list it anymore, not sure why.
Old 07-09-2018, 07:01 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

The guy that built the engine for me has been very difficult to deal with. Initially, he promised to have this rebuild done in a few months, but he has had this car in his shop for over a year. He works full time elsewhere, and only works on the car when he has spare time, which is far less often than I expected. Further, he's not very familiar with Porsche, and has been learning as he goes along. Really, it's just shy of a miracle that the car runs at this point. I know that if anything goes wrong, I'll be the one paying the bill.
Just curious.....why would you have somebody like this rebuild a $20,000 engine rather than using one of the reputable guys? And why did you have it done to begin with? Did it fail?
Old 07-09-2018, 09:17 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

I am going through break in on my 2nd rebuild. RND's pdf is very comprehensive but if you search enough you will find many many variations on break in, including Porsches. Everything from a cautious step by step approach all the way to redline it as soon as you get it to seal the rings. I would tend to lean toward an RND approach but who the hell really knows

And yes there is an intermediate oil as Ben Z noted before you go back to synthetic

You had the engine bored out (LN?) so put some money in to this and i imagine you went with this builder as the price was right? I also imagine you are regretting that now
Old 07-09-2018, 09:31 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 355 Likes on 252 Posts

Wow, sounds sketchy. I would still use the Mototune method and do more frequent oil changes so you can monitor the internals.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
Old 07-09-2018, 09:50 PM
4Driver4
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Just curious.....why would you have somebody like this rebuild a $20,000 engine rather than using one of the reputable guys? And why did you have it done to begin with? Did it fail?
He may be ornery, but he is reasonably smart and very fastidious...plus he works for free.
...he’s also somewhat of a smart aleck. He is me. ;-)

I bought the car with low compression in #6.

Thanks for the suggestions, all. I was hoping to stay with Joe Gibbs products, but I guess I’ll poke around for an intermediate oil.
I’ll be close to 500 miles at the end of the week, and I dare not go past that on the break in oil.
Old 07-09-2018, 10:44 PM
bhvrdr
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

He may be ornery, but he is reasonably smart and very fastidious...plus he works for free.
...he’s also somewhat of a smart aleck. He is me. ;-)

I bought the car with low compression in #6.

Thanks for the suggestions, all. I was hoping to stay with Joe Gibbs products, but I guess I’ll poke around for an intermediate oil.
I’ll be close to 500 miles at the end of the week, and I dare not go past that on the break in oil.
lol then have a blast. Good we work and dont worry too much.

Cue the rennlist responses....

you must use only a special break in oil #1 for exactly 251 miles followed by a 2 day long drain and of course a used oil analysis... but of course not just to blackstone... you must send it to 2 labs to cross check.

then after 1k miles and 3 more changes you must put in a german oil just like porsche does at the factory. M1 is just ok. Porsche uses it bc m1 gives it to them for free even though porsche knows it sucks and your engine will explode at 50,001 miles. Castrol will make your car blow up immediately. Pentosin has german writing on the bottle so it is better. Liqui moly is even better... because its called liqui moly. If you have an oil with ester in it your car can be tracked and will last an additional 50k miles before the ims bearing causes a massive explosion. You can use a U.S. oil as long as it is amsoil or one made by a nascar team owner... bc Porsche = nascar.

Old 07-09-2018, 10:54 PM
4Driver4
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bhvrdr
you must use only a special break in oil #1 for exactly 251 miles followed by a 2 day long drain and of course a used oil analysis... but of course not just to blackstone... you must send it to 2 labs to cross check.

then after 1k miles and 3 more changes you must put in a german oil just like porsche does at the factory. M1 is just ok. Porsche uses it bc m1 gives it to them for free even though porsche knows it sucks and your engine will explode at 50,001 miles. Castrol will make your car blow up immediately. Pentosin has german writing on the bottle so it is better. Liqui moly is even better... because its called liqui moly. If you have an oil with ester in it your car can be tracked and will last an additional 50k miles before the ims bearing causes a massive explosion. You can use a U.S. oil as long as it is amsoil or one made by a nascar team owner... bc Porsche = nascar.

<Head explodes>
LOL
Old 07-10-2018, 12:02 AM
1990nein
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 13 Posts

--

Last edited by 1990nein; 11-01-2020 at 04:52 AM.

Quick Reply: Breaking in the new engine: Doing it wrong?