Foam from vents

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 02:45 PM
rawkkrawler
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Foam from vents

Good afternoon!

So I've read a few topics on the foam coming from vents, and I completely understand what's going on. My 997.1 C2S is a Florida car with 33K miles, and no doubt the foam has been failing for some time due to the climate here. Now I also know that some suggest to just ignore it as it will eventually go away. I wouldn't be opposed to that except I’m a bit of a perfectionist and I’d like the climate control to act as it should, I’m one of the few that sets it at 72 and leaves it alone. Unfortunately, the air isn’t as cold and I am getting some fogging on the windshield as the AC is being misdirected.

So with that being said, is there an exploded view to the HVAC system in this model? I’m seeing quite a bit on the 996, but not much on the 997. I did remove the cabin air filter as someone suggested on another post, but i wasn’t able to see the issue. I also read a post about a dremel and the removal of the flap; however I wasn’t able to get much from the pictures.Short of removing the entire dash, has anyone attempted to fix, or have a detailed write up?

Thanks to a great site and I look forward to hearing of any success stories!

Mike in Tampa
Old 07-08-2018, 04:34 PM
ALEV8
Three Wheelin'

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

Best pic of it is in the 997 PET, but I don’t k ow the page. I was just looking at it last night. Look for the diagram of the AC system enclosure showing blower motor etc. you’ll see that foam gasket on top of the door over the blower motor housing. Not sure how you would fix it other than dropping the motor from the enclosure and removing it, then removing the enclosure itself to access that flap, clean and reinstall foam gasket and button it all up again. My C4 has been blowing foam for about a year off an on and I’ve just fished it out of the vents and vacuumed it up as I go. It has stopped for the most part. Setting the blower speed to maximum seems to make most of it shoot out of the vents, and you can clean up from there. Let me know what you end up doing or finding out as far as attacking the problem at the source.

https://www.porsche.com/all/media/pd...97_KATALOG.pdf
Old 07-08-2018, 04:41 PM
bhvrdr
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...wing-foam.html
Old 07-08-2018, 05:19 PM
rawkkrawler
Track Day

Saw that, it's on the 996 section. Not sure if it's identical to the 997 or not.
Old 07-08-2018, 05:26 PM
rawkkrawler
Track Day

Originally Posted by ALEV8
Best pic of it is in the 997 PET, but I don’t k ow the page. I was just looking at it last night. Look for the diagram of the AC system enclosure showing blower motor etc. you’ll see that foam gasket on top of the door over the blower motor housing. Not sure how you would fix it other than dropping the motor from the enclosure and removing it, then removing the enclosure itself to access that flap, clean and reinstall foam gasket and button it all up again. My C4 has been blowing foam for about a year off an on and I’ve just fished it out of the vents and vacuumed it up as I go. It has stopped for the most part. Setting the blower speed to maximum seems to make most of it shoot out of the vents, and you can clean up from there. Let me know what you end up doing or finding out as far as attacking the problem at the source.

https://www.porsche.com/all/media/pd...97_KATALOG.pdf
Thanks! I stumbled on page 382 in my search, just wasn't very clear where the blending door is. I assume it's near the heater core, which places it directly behind the radio, maybe.
Old 07-09-2018, 12:43 AM
ALEV8
Three Wheelin'

Slightly to the right of the radio and behind the glovebox.
Old 07-09-2018, 11:58 AM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

'05 FL car here, started spewing foam several years ago, stopped a while ago but I still keep a pair of long skinny tweezers in the glovebox to extricate any small piece that might get stuck behind the louvers. I also keep it on 72 all the time, on AUTO but I have it set on upper vents as I have no need for air from any of the other outlets. At certain outside temps/humidity I get fogging on the windshield, but otherwise the AC works fine so I don't plan to rip the dash apart. A little fogging beats squeaks and rattles IMO. Treating the outside of the windshield with RainX seems to help slightly. If it bothered me enough I would remove the plastic piece between the windshield and dash where the defroster outlets are, and seal the defroster plenum with some (removable) material as I will never need to use the defroster down here.
Old 07-09-2018, 12:27 PM
bhvrdr
Pro

Im in south florida.

Yeah porsche has been using this junk foam insulation for years in their cars. My 1980 928 did the same thing as did my 81 928s, the 87 928s4 and the 2000 boxster. Now my 2007 c2s has been doing it since i bought it six months ago.

I decided to buy some weather stripping at Home Depot and put it in the windshield vents. It fit perfectly like it was made for that purpose and its visually not noticeable at all. It keeps the fogged windshield at bay for the most part. I have a warranty and I think this might actually get covered but i'm not sure I want my dashboard taken apart. I may just keep it like this.

mike
Old 07-09-2018, 05:06 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bhvrdr
Im in south florida.

Yeah porsche has been using this junk foam insulation for years in their cars. My 1980 928 did the same thing as did my 81 928s, the 87 928s4 and the 2000 boxster. Now my 2007 c2s has been doing it since i bought it six months ago.

I decided to buy some weather stripping at Home Depot and put it in the windshield vents. It fit perfectly like it was made for that purpose and its visually not noticeable at all. It keeps the fogged windshield at bay for the most part. I have a warranty and I think this might actually get covered but i'm not sure I want my dashboard taken apart. I may just keep it like this.

mike
Did you remove the defroster trim to install the weatherstripping underneath or just lay a strip externally on top of the louvers? If on top, what color is your dash?
Old 07-09-2018, 06:01 PM
bhvrdr
Pro

My dash is black and I laid it on top but it snugged right in there making it almost flush with the dash and sitting on the louvers. I cut it about 2" too long on either end and tucked the ends down into each edge of each side. I believe it was this stuff...

https://www.homedepot.com/p/M-D-Buil...1025/202066509

Mike
Old 07-09-2018, 06:48 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by rawkkrawler
Good afternoon!

So I've read a few topics on the foam coming from vents, and I completely understand what's going on. My 997.1 C2S is a Florida car with 33K miles, and no doubt the foam has been failing for some time due to the climate here. Now I also know that some suggest to just ignore it as it will eventually go away. I wouldn't be opposed to that except I’m a bit of a perfectionist and I’d like the climate control to act as it should, I’m one of the few that sets it at 72 and leaves it alone. Unfortunately, the air isn’t as cold and I am getting some fogging on the windshield as the AC is being misdirected.

So with that being said, is there an exploded view to the HVAC system in this model? I’m seeing quite a bit on the 996, but not much on the 997. I did remove the cabin air filter as someone suggested on another post, but i wasn’t able to see the issue. I also read a post about a dremel and the removal of the flap; however I wasn’t able to get much from the pictures.Short of removing the entire dash, has anyone attempted to fix, or have a detailed write up?

Thanks to a great site and I look forward to hearing of any success stories!

Mike in Tampa
On my third Florida 997 now and never saw anything like this and never heard of it either for that matter. Just over 40K miles on the first two C4S's and 57K miles on the current GTS. Set the temp to 69 and leave it alone. Are you talking foam like what comes out of the bottle when you shave or what? I live 60 miles south of you so we drive in identical climate.
Old 07-09-2018, 06:55 PM
bhvrdr
Pro

Originally Posted by sandwedge
On my third Florida 997 now and never saw anything like this and never heard of it either for that matter. Just over 40K miles on the first two C4S's and 57K miles on the current GTS. Set the temp to 69 and leave it alone. Are you talking foam like what comes out of the bottle when you shave or what? I live 60 miles south of you so we drive in identical climate.
several links about it are in this thread above. The mixing flap is almost entirely covered in cheap crap foam in these cars. It breaks down. Obviously not for 100% of people
Old 07-09-2018, 07:11 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by bhvrdr
several links about it are in this thread above. The mixing flap is almost entirely covered in cheap crap foam in these cars. It breaks down. Obviously not for 100% of people
Yeah I saw the links and read the stories but again, I've been a member since 2007 and this is the first time I've seen the topic come up. Could have missed it earlier of course but can't be a common problem.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:21 PM
rawkkrawler
Track Day

I suspect the pieces of foam will eventually stop coming out of the vents once the blending door is completely bare. From a picture I saw online, it has more holes than actual surface area. I guess the thought of losing all climate control functionality bothers me, especially from a Porsche. I've read a post detailing the access to the blending door through the heater core under the wiper assembly, something about cutting around the upper pivot as well as removing the actuator arm from below the dash. I'll have to dig up the article, but it seems worth a try. The cold air making it to the defroster vents tells me there may be a second "door" that could also be failing. Either way, I plan to dig a bit deeper this weekend.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:52 PM
ALEV8
Three Wheelin'

Post what you find in there please. I want to tackle this but fog on the windshield isn't enough to make me tear into the car........I get a little fog above the defroster vents at 69f setting, and set it to center vents and recirculate.........not sure how I'm losing AC. Its 100 plus all summer in Texas, so you're going to be hot. Still an interesting little project. My car has 115k mi on it and the black flat sticky foam has stopped emerging.

Quick Reply: Foam from vents