Sponsored by:

I HATE PPF!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2018, 10:20 AM
Jeremy Hazeltine
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 58 Posts
Default I HATE PPF!!!!

I recently purchased my 06 C2S, and one of the “features” was it had full front ppf. Well after owning it a bit, the ppf was driving me nuts. First off it was laser cut, not wrapped edges, so the edges of the film were awful, and it stopped 4” from the top edges of the hood. I also noticed there was definitely a color difference.
So i decided to remove the ppf and go with a ceramic coating. The peeling was fairly easy. The fenders went very well, with very little mess. The nose went well with the exception of the paint coming off along the bottom. I assume it was a repaired spot at some point, but in an easy spot to repair. the hood came off, but left an awful mess of adhesive. I assume from years of sun baking it on. I have several hours into the goo removal, trying several different methods, with ever so slowly gains.
I am to the point that i think i will just have the hood resprayed and let them sand it off. Or plan B is to roll it outside and light the whole damn car on fire. Has anyone else removed the ppf goo with success?
here are a few pics of my hell

Old 06-23-2018, 10:28 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,410 Likes on 855 Posts

Hmmmm I assume you tried the obvious... Hot water and Dawn? I get sap spots of very easily with this. You also try just contacting say 3M customer service and ask them.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 06-23-2018, 10:37 AM
jeebus31
Three Wheelin'

Received 422 Likes on 233 Posts

I went through this hell with my stone guards that I assume were original to the car and baked in the Texas heat for a decade. There is no easy way, unfortunately. Did you try adhesive remover? That's what wound up working for me although it was very tedious. Spray adhesive remover liberally, use a soft cloth or something with a soft plastic edge to "scrape" the goo, and wipe it away. No paint damage on my fenders from using this method, YMMV, but it will take some time.

Don't light the car on fire... although I bet that adhesive would make a nice accelerant.

Other option is to take it to the pros who install PPF. It might cost a bit, but I bet they can get it off without any paint damage.
Old 06-23-2018, 11:07 AM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

Received 128 Likes on 87 Posts

“Goo Gone” works really good....I’ve used this for stone guard removal as well as emblem clean up.
Old 06-23-2018, 11:10 AM
Jeremy Hazeltine
Rennlist Member

I have tried mineral spirits, goo gone, 3m adhesive remover....all work, if i were removing goo from a small decal. On the entire hood, i may no be driving my car until next spring at that rate
Old 06-23-2018, 12:09 PM
jeebus31
Three Wheelin'

Received 422 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeremy Hazeltine
I have tried mineral spirits, goo gone, 3m adhesive remover....all work, if i were removing goo from a small decal. On the entire hood, i may no be driving my car until next spring at that rate
I hear ya. Took me 4 hours for two stone guards. Best bet might be a PPF pro shop. The paint underneath should be in fine shape, so I don't recommend trying to sand/re-paint.
Old 06-23-2018, 12:17 PM
Feld
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 61 Posts

Acetone very carefully small spots at a time, it will remove it better than others mentioned. If it has been repainted it could be an issue, try a small spot to test.
Old 06-23-2018, 02:20 PM
1990nein
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 13 Posts

A while back I encountered some of the worst sap ever. Tried citrus degreaser, isopropyl, and goo gone. None worked, I was convinced it had fused to the paint. Tried some peanut butter and it came off cleanly after sitting for a moment.
Old 06-23-2018, 02:34 PM
minthral
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Don't put peanut butter on the car... its abrasive and will damage the paint .

Take it to a pro detail shop. You might harm the paint trying out different chemicals.

My guess is they'll have to polish it off.

Last edited by minthral; 06-23-2018 at 03:31 PM.
Old 06-23-2018, 02:55 PM
karl1672
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Had the same issue with my headlights - as above, Goo Gone and 3M trim adhesive remover - took a couple of hours just for 2 headlights, can only imagine what you're dealing with
Old 06-23-2018, 03:04 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 355 Likes on 252 Posts

I'm assuming you didn't use a steamer to remove it? To loosen up the left over adhesive, baby oil and water, Goo Gone, good old Plexus or Honda Polish work wonders.

Old 06-23-2018, 03:19 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 698 Likes on 366 Posts

Simplest, and safest, way to remove any ppf is with steam.

tonremove adhesive, use 3M General Purpose Adhesive Remove ina VERY well ventilated space and wear a respirator.

carpro tarx does an amazing job too with less fumes.

trick to any of the products is the dwell time...test a small area and see how long it takes for the glue to dissolve.

aftwr this process, gently wipe with a mf towel and 70% IPA. Then apply a spray wax, or if you have time and desire, proper clay/polish/wax

hope this helps
Old 06-23-2018, 03:19 PM
Canyonrs4
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Try a vinyl graphics removal spray. Took the adhesive off my trailers that was baked on for 15 years

GRAFIX GONE® softens adhesive residue for removal within 90 seconds on most surfaces. Spot test on new paint before using.
  • Will not burn most plastics
  • Will not harm latex paint
  • Great for removing old paper sheeting from plastics
  • No extra cleanup after removing adhesive residue
  • Smells good, works great
  • Use on: Vinyl Banners, Plexiglas™ , Styrofoam™, Lexan™, Styrene, Glass, and Painted Surfaces

Last edited by Canyonrs4; 06-23-2018 at 03:22 PM. Reason: bad link
Old 06-23-2018, 04:47 PM
gray911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First and foremost, a heat gun is essential to proper removal of PPF or let it stand out in the heat before attempting to peel it off. That’s how professionals do it.
Old 06-23-2018, 04:50 PM
Jeremy Hazeltine
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gray911
First and foremost, a heat gun is essential to proper removal of PPF or let it stand out in the heat before attempting to peel it off. That’s how professionals do it.
I did use heat to remove the film. The heat helped soften the film, and required less force to pull. Using heat also left behind more adhesive

Quick Reply: I HATE PPF!!!!