Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to buy my first Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2018 | 04:57 AM
samwise
Rennlist Member

Default Looking to buy my first Porsche

Looking at two different low miles 997.2 C2S, manual of course. One is local, cost slightly more, and has SPASM but nothing else

The other is out of state, cost slightly less (but have slightly more miles), has Sports Chrono Plus but standard PASM.

Both seems to be well maintained with all maintenance records and no 3-6 overrevs, which one do you think I should go for?
Old 06-20-2018 | 07:54 AM
josserman
Instructor

Are these the first you’re looking at? How far out of state? Maybe worth seeing them both, a $500 plane ticket isn’t the worst use of money to give piece of mind that you’ve selected the best car for you.

Perhaps share some additional details on price, years, and miles, so the members can comment.
Old 06-20-2018 | 08:38 AM
96Tiger
Rennlist Member

I agree more details would be useful including options, # of owners, etc. My 997.2 S manual has Sport Chrono but I never use the stop watch but do use the sport button. It also has standard PASM vs SPASM which works fine for me for what I do - mostly street driving with a few track days per year.
Old 06-20-2018 | 09:06 AM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

For my purposes, I would not have bought my 911 without Sport PASM.
How valuable that is will depend on your use case and if you plan to modify the car and when. I knew I'd be modding the car a little bit, but wanted to put off any suspension mods for a while. Starting with Sport PASM enabled me to do that. Plus it comes with an LSD.. which is also something I wanted to make sure my car would have.
Old 06-20-2018 | 09:28 AM
shekmark
Pro

Non of that stuff matters unless you frequent Rennlist. This site is addictive and expensive. Wait and see.
Old 06-20-2018 | 11:38 AM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

It is best to try and not rush yourself into a purchase especially when it would be your first Porsche and for sure do not let anyone else pressure into a purchase. But the only risk of trying not to rush yourself is that sometimes you need to recognize when a good car falls into your lap and if it does do not dither. If a good car falls into your lap you need to be prepared to move on it because it might not be there tomorrow.

Best of luck ...
Old 06-20-2018 | 11:43 AM
LISsailor
Rennlist Member

I bought a local car and saved myself a lot of legwork and aggravation. YMMV.
Old 06-20-2018 | 11:53 AM
Meursault88
Burning Brakes

Agree with staying local. Especially if you're just buying run of the mill Porsche. (anything less than $70-75k)

Huge advantages in staying local.
Old 06-20-2018 | 12:43 PM
samwise
Rennlist Member

Thanks everyone! I have been doing research for a couple of months now. I was originally looking for a 997.1 turbo but after driving one I decided to look at more “mundane” options. The Turbo was simply too high strung for me, and on regular roads I will probably use 25% of the power before getting into trouble. I test drove a 997.2 C2S a few days later and the DFI NA engine’s characteristic was much more to my liking.

I would love to get a GTS but the kind of prices I am seeing is insane. A well equipped C2S will get you 95% there for 20-30k less.

Anyway, right now 997.2 C2S are actually hard to find - people seems to be holding on to them. Both of the cars I am looking at have about 32-36k miles and are asking mid-high 50s. Relatively lightly optioned.

This will strictly be a weekend / second car. Something that I can take on the back roads and enjoy, maybe track it once or twice a year max.

Or I can try to just hold out for one with just the right color and just the right options...

Last edited by samwise; 06-20-2018 at 05:37 PM.
Old 06-20-2018 | 01:09 PM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by samwise
right now 997.2 C2S are actually hard to find - people seems to be holding on to them.
I am in a very similar boat that you are in, in that we have both identified that we might be interested in 997.2 3.8L C2S cars and yes they are hard to find especially the manual transmissions. It sounds like you have more options than I do in regards to the manual 997.2 C2S cars and for that I am a little jealous. The closest option available to me right now is a 997.2 3.8L C2S PDK car three hours away (which I have already checked out). I am not going to tell you what to do, I just wanted to reiterate that it appears that 997.2 3.8L C2S owners like their cars (which has to be a good sign) because not many of them are on the open market and if you find a good one, especially a good one that is local to you, don't dither if you are serious about getting yourself a Porsche.

Good Luck
Old 06-20-2018 | 10:04 PM
samwise
Rennlist Member

Ya SF Bay got lots of Porsche because of all the tech $ but still, slim pickings if you are looking for something very specific... (White / grey 997.2 C2S with Manual, black interior, Sports Chrono and PASM, under 40k miles preferably, and unmodified, except maybe the center muffler delete since I'll probably do that myself anyway. 2010 or higher would be even better because I like the way those newer steering wheels look - the 09 with their weird plastic piece never looked right to me)

I don't want to pay more than 60k all in for something like that, which I think is a fair price but if I have to go out of state or cross country shipping is at least 2k+ so that eats into the budget.
Old 06-20-2018 | 10:54 PM
mjdcolo
Instructor

I was in the same boat. Took me months to find the right one. Go local! Sport Chrono in a manual is a waste, compared to SPASM. Check the local one out. If it’s in acceptable condition, get it inspected and then take it!

Best of luck!
Old 06-20-2018 | 11:17 PM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by samwise
Ya SF Bay got lots of Porsche because of all the tech $ but still, slim pickings if you are looking for something very specific... (White / grey 997.2 C2S with Manual, black interior, Sports Chrono and PASM, under 40k miles preferably, and unmodified, except maybe the center muffler delete since I'll probably do that myself anyway. 2010 or higher would be even better because I like the way those newer steering wheels look - the 09 with their weird plastic piece never looked right to me)

I don't want to pay more than 60k all in for something like that, which I think is a fair price but if I have to go out of state or cross country shipping is at least 2k+ so that eats into the budget.
About 80% of 997's were black, silver or grey in some shade. Blue's makes up another 10% and red/white/brown/yellow etc make up the other 10%. I agree to hold out and get exactly what you want. But be ready to pounce when you find it.

Quick Reply: Looking to buy my first Porsche