Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bought my dream car (997) but not totally enamored.

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 10:19 PM
wanesso
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug H
Under steering pigs.

nah not at all. Super fun autocross car and excellent DD
Old 06-19-2018, 01:08 AM
8enny8lack
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

By saying I don't relate, I'm not trying to say I don't get a small, chuckable sports car- that is one of the few things in this world I can relate to. I just don't get not enjoying a 911... But for me, cars and motorcycles are similar in that they all have their own personalities, and that experience is enjoyable. I feel like certain vehicles are just charming, no matter what I think may be "ideal" for the environment, and the 911 is a stereotypical example of charm winning over other considerations. I love motorcycles, and one of my favorite bikes I ever rode didn't really do any one thing well, other than keeping a grin on my face.

If you don't like those thoughts, what if you spent your time pursuing a beautiful woman/ man, just to win them over and find out you dislike spending time w them? You should move on.
So to me, if you lusted after your 911, but it doesn't make you feel all tingly when you drive it, then just get something else that does.

But, if you can learn your new driving partner, and appreciate the nuances and new demands, you may fall back in love w your 997, and in a deeper, more meaningful way *discomfort intended.
Old 06-19-2018, 01:55 AM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 166 Likes on 112 Posts

I previously owned an S2000 and 2002 Miata. Enjoyed the light weight and "tossability" but I just don't like the performance of little 4 bangers. I now have a Mini Cooper S that I enjoy tossing around a lot more. But, I don't look forward to driving it. I drive it because it's a good daily driver in congested areas and crappy streets. I do look forward to driving my C2S every chance I can get.
Old 06-19-2018, 02:06 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
Just curious, you guys who are baffled by the OP - have you ever owned a Miata or any type of light weight roadster? It really is a fantastic experience. Not that a 997 isn't a great car to drive, but it's a completely different thing than a lightweight, front engine rear drive roadster. Anyone own or owned both and prefer the 997? Why? Like the Miata better? Why?
In that category I owned a 1969 MGB, a 1971 Triumph TR6 and yes, a 1990 Miata. Bought the Miata dirt cheap from a neighbor who needed money quickly. First off, I'm 6'3" and don't fit in the car. Then,.....sure it's fun. "Tossable", light, responsive and all that but to me it felt like the $10,000 Japanese roadster it was. I sold it two weeks after I bought it. As previously stated I don't understand this discussion though. They're two such different animals that to me at least it's not constructive to get into comparisons. I do agree with one thing stated by a number of respondents though. You don't have to get to 100mph to enjoy the 997. I personally enjoy the 997 at any speed, certainly more so than a Miata at any speed. The list of reasons why would be long and I won't waste the time on it since as I said, I don't think it's constructive.
Old 06-19-2018, 02:57 AM
ttreat
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry I don't recall which car seat I had. I believe it was a Graco model. We used Britax car seats in the other vehicles and there us no way they would fit in the 911. I am also 5'8" tall so I don't need to put the seat way back. If you were a bit taller, you might not have the room.
Old 06-19-2018, 06:43 AM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,688 Likes on 1,426 Posts

997’s are for roads 20-50mph faster than Miatas.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:27 AM
wc11
Race Car

Received 154 Likes on 99 Posts

Reminds me of a saying.....It's more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:47 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 903 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by wc11
Reminds me of a saying.....It's more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.
Lol, those that say that haven't been driving the right cars . . .
Old 06-19-2018, 10:01 AM
Meursault88
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by andy92782
HAH! Yes! Finally, someone who thinks the same thing I do... and BTW: Every other car remote flashes/blinks ONCE when locking, TWICE when unlocking. This is how my daily driven Toyota behaves. The exact opposite of what the 997 does. Ugh...

Copy that...
I hate this whole key thing. Toyota figured it out. Put key in pocket, door opens when you touch the handle, sit in car, depress brake and start button, key never leaves the pocket. Arrive, hit start button to stop car and park - don't even have to shift. Get out of car, hit button twice while walking away.

I guess some Cayennes let you do this with a dummy key inserted in the ignition or something like that.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:20 AM
kenny29
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can identify up to a point with what the OP is saying, having picked up my first 911 (albeit a 991C4S Manual) just a few months back. I did quite a bit of research before buying it and looked at quite a few 911s before actually moving on one. Spoke to some guys who had 911s, listened to their experiences and got some drives in the process. Its only when you actually buy one and start driving it however that you really understand what you have bought, and get the feel of the car. Is it a day to day car...am not sure, but in my case I suspect probably not. Is it value for money in the true sense..... again not quite sure, and possibly not if you consider that a Golf R for example would be cheaper to buy, cheaper to run and maintain, and in reality would probably provide sufficient performance (at least on public roads) for most people, who in all reality will never take their 911 to anywhere near its true limits. Now and again, you wonder if its worth it........and then you start up that flat six!
Old 06-19-2018, 10:26 AM
Meursault88
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you've ever been out in the middle of nowhere and taken a rural road you've probably noticed that there are these seemingly un-explainable large sweeping 90 degree turns followed shortly by a large sweeping 90 degree turn in the opposite direction. My 1966 912 loved these roads. I use to think that the people in front of me going the suggested limit of 45 mph were only doing so to annoy me as my car could easily do them at 90 mph or more. That's the pleasure of carrying speed into two consecutive turns in a 2000lb go cart.

Here are google satellite views of east-west and north-south examples of these roads. These 'grid corrections' are ubiquitous and it is a way surveyors and engineers sort out the problem of putting grids on a sphere.

An east-west grid correction

A north-south grid correction

Thoreau -" As for my own business, even that kind of surveying which I could do with most satisfaction my employers do not want. They would prefer that I should do my work coarsely and not too well, ay, not well enough. When I observe that there are different ways of surveying, my employer commonly asks which will give him the most land, not which is most correct."
Old 06-19-2018, 10:41 AM
OnlineAlias
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by andy92782
HAH! Yes! Finally, someone who thinks the same thing I do... and BTW: Every other car remote flashes/blinks ONCE when locking, TWICE when unlocking. This is how my daily driven Toyota behaves. The exact opposite of what the 997 does. Ugh...

Copy that...
Oh god, this bugs the crap out of me. And did you ever notice there's no delay on unlock (when you are coming towards the car), and a huge delay when locking (when you are walking away)? This forces you to TURN AROUND AND LOOK to see if it locks.

Makes me want to find that product manager and throw punches.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:45 AM
Racetwin2
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

I come from motorcycles and there performance and easy to toss around is even better than the Miata. Sold bike many years ago and since I liked the open air feeling of riding the motorcycle we finally went for a 997 cab. Never any regrets. Drive it every third day or so to work.

I have Gundo and Silicone intake/resonator delete and it makes a big difference. Gundo for exhaust sound and resonator delete for intake noise. It's really fantastic intake scream above 5000 rpm now.

Why not test drive a cabrio with PSE or Gundo? Sometimes the price on cabrio is below coupes. So you might trade and get money to sponsor the mods you want.

As for the 997 I fall more in love the more I drive it. It's close to an obsession by now and I couldn't think of any other car to have the versatility to do all the jobs it does.

It's everything between two of my other favourite cars: Maserati GT and Lotus Elise/Opel Speedster.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:46 AM
Skyhawk172
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

This forces you to TURN AROUND AND LOOK
I always turn around and look anyways just make sure that what I drove up in is really mine. :-)
Old 06-19-2018, 11:34 AM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

You always pine, for love lost. You loved your Miata.
New kid? What are you missing? Your old simpler life?
I remember loading my kids in the back of my 997 to take them to school.
It was the highlight of their day.
Gone are your two seater days, and a small duffel.
O/P -
Where is the mandatory shot of your new car? I want to see what you are remorseful about.

Quick Reply: Bought my dream car (997) but not totally enamored.