Sponsored by:

Smokin TT

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 11:16 PM
TxTurboBill
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Smokin TT

Just bought my second Turbo, first was a 1986 930 with 32,000 miles on it. My recent investment is an 08 TT with 51 k miles on it. Pristine, all service documented at dealer by previous owner. Upon start up more blue smoke than I want to see. Wish I had access to do a compression check. With other lesser vehicles I have used a high mileage oil additive which really helped eliminate smoke on start up but i just cant bring myself to add anything to the
Mobil 1. Any advise?
Old 06-15-2018, 01:34 AM
loonwin
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should post this over on the 997 Turbo Forum: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-turbo-forum-139/
Old 06-15-2018, 01:35 AM
loonwin
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh and by the way -- that's a smokin' hot TT

Loving the black on black look. Great pick up! Congrats.
Old 06-15-2018, 02:39 AM
Skwerl
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 190 Posts

How blue are we talking? The Mezger TTs are known to puff out smoke on start-up if the car was driven hard and turned off immediately after, among some other mundane scenarios. The remedy is typically to let it idle for 30 seconds or so before turning it off. The smoke is more on the white end of the spectrum with maybe a subtle blue tint, though, not straight up blue oil clouds.
Old 06-15-2018, 10:07 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,730 Likes on 4,282 Posts

First thing I'd do is change to a different oil - either Motul xcess or JGR DT40. Many people have noticed reduced consumption when getting away from the Mobil 1. Also, I'm not sure on the 997, but on my TT Cayenne, the crankcase ventilation is tied back into the driver's side intake pipe so that any oil vapor gets run through the engine again for emissions purposes. This oil vapor condenses in the intercooler and needs to be drained every 2 or 3 oil changes or it can get sucked back in and produce smoke, but if that's your issue it would likely do it more than just at start-up. Might be something to check into though.
Old 06-15-2018, 10:52 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,647 Likes on 983 Posts

Back in 2000 when the m96/M97 generation started, puffs of blue smoke on start up were not uncommon (I know, the TT is a different block but the blocks are still flat). It was not the AOS. I found I could make it happen by starting my car and immediately shutting it down... say like checking a gauge or moving the car a few feet.... next morning was a nice large blue cloud. It was described at the time as a very slight pooling of oil in the heads, the natural consequence of a flat engine design (hence the oil scavenge pumps in the heads). Also, it was said, the ring gaps can start to line up over time allowing oil to seep through. All of this was no issue. Was this true? I dunno. It was the working knowledge of the time, and posts about startup puffs were very common.

BTW, I was at the dealer when a sales rep started one up on the showroom floor... the car was brand new.... the entire showroom was blue... everyone jumped up and opened all the doors..... no one said anything. Weird... obviously this was common.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 06-15-2018, 11:05 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,730 Likes on 4,282 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
Back in 2000 when the m96/M97 generation started, puffs of blue smoke on start up were not uncommon (I know, the TT is a different block but the blocks are still flat). It was not the AOS. I found I could make it happen by starting my car and immediately shutting it down... say like checking a gauge or moving the car a few feet.... next morning was a nice large blue cloud. It was described at the time as a very slight pooling of oil in the heads, the natural consequence of a flat engine design (hence the oil scavenge pumps in the heads). Also, it was said, the ring gaps can start to line up over time allowing oil to seep through. All of this was no issue. Was this true? I dunno. It was the working knowledge of the time, and posts about startup puffs were very common.

BTW, I was at the dealer when a sales rep started one up on the showroom floor... the car was brand new.... the entire showroom was blue... everyone jumped up and opened all the doors..... no one said anything. Weird... obviously this was common.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
That's the only time my .1 will ever puff. If I wash it in the driveway, then move it into the garage, the next time I start it I often get a blue puff. OP, if that's your scenario, it's nothing to worry about. If it happens every time you start the car no matter how long, how far, or how it was driven, that would be a much higher frequency than what I see with mine.

Quick Reply: Smokin TT