Sponsored by:

Tune for the 997.1?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2018, 12:34 AM
shrumdog
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tune for the 997.1?

Fiddling with the idea. Not sure if any are worth there weight. Leaning on fvd or giac. Have the full racing exhaust on 07 997.1 s. Anyone have a good or bad experience to share?
Old 06-13-2018, 12:37 AM
bhvrdr
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

Buy a$30 overseas version of the sprint booster on ebay and get 99% of the na tune "gains"

mike
Old 06-13-2018, 05:03 PM
shrumdog
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bhvrdr
Buy a$30 overseas version of the sprint booster on ebay and get 99% of the na tune "gains"

mike

seriously?
Old 06-13-2018, 05:10 PM
bhvrdr
Pro

Originally Posted by shrumdog

seriously?
yup, even if you had oustanding quality 93 octane the tuners have admitted to screwing with the throttle control mapping on their na tunes in order to give that perception of increased power. This and cognitive dissonance is why youll hear people report..

"i got tuned by xyz and it really revs faster in the top end"

or
"i got tuned by abc in order to smooth out that torque dip and now it pulls harder to redline"

The reality is we can log your car right now and i guarantee your pulling a bunch of timing on that crap 91 octane. Youre not going to be tuning in much of any more power on a car that is already maxed on its octane.... and im sure porsche already tunes for mbt.

mike

Last edited by bhvrdr; 06-13-2018 at 10:41 PM.
Old 06-13-2018, 07:08 PM
kisik
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

Best "tune" is to hire a professional coach to teach you how to drive.
Old 06-13-2018, 07:26 PM
911Gr8tness
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 58 Posts

Question: I have access to 91, 94, 96,98, and 101 Octane close to my house. What is the sweet spot on an otherwise stock car? and how quickly can the ECU adapt to the better quality fuel? 91 is the highest 99.9% of the gas stations we get out here.
Old 06-13-2018, 07:58 PM
bhvrdr
Pro

Originally Posted by 911Gr8tness
Question: I have access to 91, 94, 96,98, and 101 Octane close to my house. What is the sweet spot on an otherwise stock car? and how quickly can the ECU adapt to the better quality fuel? 91 is the highest 99.9% of the gas stations we get out here.
strangely fuel quality can vary alot by region. In the south east we have awesome quality 93 shell vpower that i can see 21 degrees timing on with the s4 or s5 audi running 19 pounds of boost.

I haven't extensively logged the porsche for timing improvement since its somewhat moot for me as i have no intention of putting race gas in it but i wouldnt be surprised if the timing tables are set up to be able to take advantage of up to around 95 octane or so. After that you do need a dedicated race file but again somewhat unnecessary on the naturally aspirated porsche as most of us arent trying to break 1/4 mile records.

Meaning the extra 20hp from an extra 5 degrees of timing isnt usually worth the cost of 10 dollar per gallon 100 octane on a daily basis and if you were just doing it for a drag strip day well a run of the mill 25k dollar audi s4 with a tune will clean the track with a 997s embarrassingly
Old 06-13-2018, 10:09 PM
shrumdog
Intermediate

Ok then. Looks like no tune it is. Just ripping around as daily and backroads anyways. Lots of these mods just don’t carry there weight in the end by the sounds of it. No plenum no intake no tune no light weight flywheel. Full awe racing exhaust is all I have and will have. Get a faster car to get more tickets I guess that’s an option.
thanks for the input
Old 06-13-2018, 10:44 PM
bhvrdr
Pro

Yeah it sounds like you already have your bang for the buck mod and the sound will give you great driving pleasure so there ya have it.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:51 PM
rwdds
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 38 Posts

Wait! Gotta say... My experience with a tune was fantastic! I went with the Mygenius thru Fabspeed. After a few engine and exhaust mods, having the tune absolutely improved my driving experience. The torque band shifted to lower rpm's and acceleration and throttle response all improved. Drivers here will argue about it all day long, but in the end it's what you perceive and feel that makes it rock. I would do it again without hesitation.

Phase 2 - I'm set to have a new designed valved-exhaust system installed soon by Soul Performance Products. As soon as I get back from the check ride, I'll get the RETUNE ordered to take advantage of the open pipes.
Old 06-14-2018, 12:02 AM
bhvrdr
Pro

Originally Posted by rwdds
Wait! Gotta say... My experience with a tune was fantastic! I went with the Mygenius thru Fabspeed. After a few engine and exhaust mods, having the tune absolutely improved my driving experience. The torque band shifted to lower rpm's and acceleration and throttle response all improved. Drivers here will argue about it all day long, but in the end it's what you perceive and feel that makes it rock. I would do it again without hesitation.

Phase 2 - I'm set to have a new designed valved-exhaust system installed soon by Soul Performance Products. As soon as I get back from the check ride, I'll get the RETUNE ordered to take advantage of the open pipes.
you mentioned your acceleration improved though with the tune. How did you measure that?

its not really something to argue about. Your acceleration either objectively improved by x amount or it didnt right.

the subjective is just that which is from manipulating throttle maps. This has a huge impact on feel and none on actual max acceleration. I wasnt meaning to minimize that but it can be accomplished with a cheap throttle manipulator.

mike

Last edited by bhvrdr; 06-14-2018 at 12:22 AM.
Old 06-14-2018, 01:08 AM
Saaboteur
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 61 Posts

Have been following this thread with some interest. My car is X51 so I’m wary of any aftermarket tune. Being too paranoid?

I’m going to order an FVD/M&M PSE specific header and catted u-pipe set up soon. One of my concerns is that I do not want to load a tune onto the car. I discussed directly with M&M and they state that their hardware should not trigger any CELs.
Old 06-14-2018, 01:27 AM
bhvrdr
Pro

I would trust m&m and fvd to advise if they require a tune but theres no reason an exhaust upgrade should. Even if you got a cat inefficiency cel that has nothing to do with performance. tuning out post cat o2 sensor sensitivity is nice for removing a cel but thats it.

So the question is if the exhaust changes is so dramatically affecting certain fueling or timing tables that the ecu's pretty substantial ability to adapt to performance changes isnt able to do so.

2 ways to determine that. See if fvd has any first hand datalogs to share with you addressing exactly that or just take the datalogs yourself. Do some baseine logs now and then compare after if fvd cant provide the data for you

either way i assume you plan on doing some controlled condition acceleration testing before and after as well so you can see whats what with the mods. Do ypu hsve a dragy or st for testing? You can use an nt510 or dura or whatever for logging afr, timing, misfires, torque, fuel trims, for a good start.

mike
Old 06-14-2018, 04:22 AM
Nikolaos Fyntas
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I somewhat agree with that claim....above!
Old 06-14-2018, 10:07 AM
GT3_ISH
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bhvrdr
I would trust m&m and fvd to advise if they require a tune but theres no reason an exhaust upgrade should. Even if you got a cat inefficiency cel that has nothing to do with performance. tuning out post cat o2 sensor sensitivity is nice for removing a cel but thats it.

So the question is if the exhaust changes is so dramatically affecting certain fueling or timing tables that the ecu's pretty substantial ability to adapt to performance changes isnt able to do so.

2 ways to determine that. See if fvd has any first hand datalogs to share with you addressing exactly that or just take the datalogs yourself. Do some baseine logs now and then compare after if fvd cant provide the data for you

either way i assume you plan on doing some controlled condition acceleration testing before and after as well so you can see whats what with the mods. Do ypu hsve a dragy or st for testing? You can use an nt510 or dura or whatever for logging afr, timing, misfires, torque, fuel trims, for a good start.

mike
Are you claiming that the average Porsche owner cannot tell the difference between more power and more aggressive throttle mapping? While I don't disagree 100% with you, I'm not fully jumping on board there.

Also, for the controlled testing. Take it to a drag strip with actual timing equipment, not a GPS based performance meter. I could list off 1000 reasons why, but we'll just stick to the surface being more consistent and safety.

Quick Reply: Tune for the 997.1?