Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

“new” 997 TT: projects and 2018 PCM upgrade options?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2018, 02:10 PM
ThomasShawn
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default “new” 997 TT: projects and 2018 PCM upgrade options?

New to forum, should be picking up new to me 07 997 turbo this next week.
its’s full leather, which really isn’t, but the console is in decent shape
has the climate buttons that need to be repaired/replaced. (likely macarbon but still researching)
alcantara shifter is essentially a bald shifter, so all or,part of that will need replaced too. (Upper section vs whole boot, indifferent about alcantara going back on.)
lastly the pcm. It’s dated, but in a nostalgic sort of way. If BT existed I’d probably move it to a low-to-never priority. I’ve read hundreds of pages dating way back almost 10years. I’m looking for a decent up to date synopsis. I want BT for calling and music streaming. Don’t necessarily need full display of information because I’ll likely have phone in view to change tracks etc. I’m on android but rest of family is apple. Primarily my fun car.

It seems the 2 most popular options are

1.Denison 500 keeping everything stock appearing. It appears to be a bit clunky and fiddly and works but only just so well. Some love it, very few hate it. Does what it needs, pipes phone audio into car allows for calls and retains stock appearance.

2. Full pcm replacement using someone’s most-hur adapter (don’t think I want to do full amp removal to alleviate the Bose amp & want it to be easily reversible). Lose the fade ability but probably not a huge issue in small cabin. Not stock appearing and I’ve seen some that simply scream aftermarket replacement. Sometimes it’s the surround, but often it’s the over the top lights and buttons in shiny glossy chrome etc. Benefits are current technology and potentially better sound. But, some of the units I’ve seen online have clunky interfaces that make the OEM actually not look bad. Newer system allow for easy rear and potentially front facing cameras. I’ll add rear & possibly front camera if I go this route. Android auto and CarPlay make things much easier.

3. Tranzit blue: seems to have fallen out of favor for several reasons not really considering.

so I guess my questions are
1 vs 2 and why?
if 2 what’s the unit to get now? Alpine, Sony, Kenwood? Others?

excited to get the car and start driving and playing.

thanks in advance for the responses..
Old 06-03-2018, 11:14 PM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Repost or ask mods to move to 997 TT.
Old 06-03-2018, 11:36 PM
ThomasShawn
Rennlist Member

Thanks.
I'll report in TT side as well. not really unique to the TT that's why I went with 997 forum side
Old 06-04-2018, 01:29 AM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 535 Likes on 318 Posts

get the LA bluetooth module. there are a few heavy threads about it here on RL
Old 06-04-2018, 04:42 AM
ThomasShawn
Rennlist Member

does look like a great option but seems to be unavail on amazon or ebay currently

Quick Reply: “new” 997 TT: projects and 2018 PCM upgrade options?