Biggest bang for the buck?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 12:25 PM
E368
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by OnlineAlias
Anymore...

E30's E24's E39's, E34's and even E36's and 46's are fantastic cars....past those and ya, **** hit the fan at BMW.
This...
Old 06-04-2018, 01:02 PM
JABowders
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

I don't want computers controlling my vehicles, I have been spending more time fighting with Control Modules then any other aspect of a vehicle's maintenance issues.

...years ago I made a bumper Sticker that reads ... MAGIC now more dependable then Electronics

So I can understand when older cars start pulling in big dollars at auction.

Just wait until the Government forces the Auto Industry to make electric vehicles totaling half of their production and with ECMs so complex you will only be able to service them vie a computer interface that will be proprietary to the manufacturer ... Tesla is an example and will follow the Apple and Microsoft Business model, no repair service available, only replacements and new version upgrades available, because technically you won't OWN them only pay to use them.
Old 06-04-2018, 02:22 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 159 Posts

I’ll never fit in one but pretty sure the best bang for the buck car question was answered with the Miata. There’s a reason why it’s the answer to most automotive questions.
Old 06-04-2018, 08:40 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 209 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by nwGTS
I’ll never fit in one but pretty sure the best bang for the buck car question was answered with the Miata. There’s a reason why it’s the answer to most automotive questions.

+1 for Miata. It's quite a force to be reckoned with.
Old 06-04-2018, 08:46 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Meursault88
I see these cars being in different classes - I was thinking more along the lines of Aston Martin, BMW, Jaguar, Ferrari, Lambo, Lotus, Maserati, Mercedes, etc who all have prices in the same range as 911s but don't match up to the performance and overall quality of a Porsche. Cars like the Corvette, Mustang, Camaro, etc AFAIK don't approach the quality and finish of the cars I listed.

There are a lot of interesting cars in the $35-100K price range - DB9, most Lotus, a handful of Ferraris, Maseratis, tons of Mercs but bang for the buck comes down to performance, quality, every day drivability and dependability.

For about the same price as the car I bought, I could have also bought a 2011 SL 63 AMG but even with 518 hp the Merc doesn't perform as well as the C4s.

SL 65 AMGs also fall in this range but those headaches are beyond the capabilities of my neurologist.
Your criteria excludes everything that actually is the best bang for the buck.
Old 06-04-2018, 09:03 PM
MkC2S
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Fined
I'm gonna go with the Corvette as an easy winner. As much as I love the Germans and their cars, the yanks have them beat for value. I have no desire for a Corvette, but objectively I can't think of any car more efficient in dollars to performance ratio. It only gets more clear when considering upgrades and modification. My feelings about Corvettes aside, just talking literal performance to dollars spent.
absolutely agree
that rumbling V8 is intoxicating

Quick Reply: Biggest bang for the buck?