Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noob - No A/S 19" Tires?!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2018, 07:13 PM
orange260z
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I recently shopped for AS tires to fit my 19" Carrera S II wheels to use in the spring and fall, as well as for winter storage. Was unable to actually source anything. I've acquired a set of used 18" Carrera IV wheels (like dgjks6) and will get OE size AS tires for them in the fall.
Old 05-19-2018, 12:11 AM
Supplyguy
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stankiyota
FWIW. I found these Toyo AS tires on TireBuyer...I don't know if they deliver to your zip code. I have Michelin PS2 summer tires that are Porsche OEM and they are stiff too...switching to Michelin Pilot Sport 4S summer tires as soon as these wear down some. Good luck. www dot tirebuyer dot com/tires/toyo/proxes-4-plus/p/TV190001718:TV190001851. Stan
Thanks a bunch. Could be a viable option. They have them and are reasonably priced!
Old 05-19-2018, 12:13 AM
Supplyguy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dasams
What cold tire pressures are you running? That's your biggest lever for softening things up. Also PASM cars are softer in normal mode and stiffer in sport mode. It's one reason to get PASM in a base car.
34/42.
Old 05-19-2018, 12:22 AM
Supplyguy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Jaskfri
Continental makes an all season tire that fits.
https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tir...rProduct/26416
Thanks. Went there but only the ContiSportContact 3 - summer tire.
Old 05-19-2018, 12:23 AM
Supplyguy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dgjks6
Buy 18!inch wheels with conti dws06. Screw the haters. It's about the most comfortable ride you are going to get in a 911.

It will still spill your Starbucks.
Thanks. Hoping to avoid replacing the wheels if I can. For the record.....it was Wawa hazelnut, the finest coffee there is.
Old 05-19-2018, 12:27 AM
Supplyguy
Intermediate

We're not friends Yet.
Old 05-19-2018, 12:28 AM
Supplyguy
Intermediate

Thanks. I thought maybe struts shot or the rear end had been modified, but the 911 shop thought neither a problem. Car has 34,000 miles. Will try tires and see how that goes.
Old 05-19-2018, 12:33 AM
Supplyguy
Intermediate

Fair point. Tires are seven years old. I'm still interested in all seasons....I've done the summer/winter tire thing before, and for a daily driver it turned out to be more of a pain in the *** than it was worth. I'm also downsizing in homes now that we are empty nesters and won't have room for spare wheels/tires (garage taken up by a vintage car).
Old 05-19-2018, 12:37 AM
Supplyguy
Intermediate

Thanks. Would have preferred an S but they were $10,000 more than a base Carrera. Every day I love my 911 more and more, and if I can solve the brutal ride I could see myself upgrading in two years.
Old 05-19-2018, 12:44 AM
Supplyguy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cosm3os
Friends don't let friends put A/S on their 911s
We're not friends Yet.
Old 05-19-2018, 12:48 AM
Supplyguy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Petza914
Should've bought one with PASM then you have most of the features to add TPC's DSC box where you can customize the suspension stiffness in 2 different modes, dependent on g-forces and other factors.

This alone is why I recommend the S model to those that ask about getting into a 997, aside from the increased torque and higher resale value.
Thanks. Would have preferred an S but they were $10,000 more than a base Carrera. Every day I love my 911 more and more, and if I can solve the brutal ride I could see myself upgrading in two years.
Old 05-19-2018, 12:49 AM
Supplyguy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rwdds
I had a similar experience after purchasing my 2008 997 that came with 3 year old Hankooks. Harsh, loud and very bumpy on most road surfaces. Horrible on anything uneven like pavement repairs, etc.. I made the switch to the new Michelin PS4S and it changed everything. Really happy with the M's.
Fair point. Tires are seven years old. I'm still interested in all seasons....I've done the summer/winter tire thing before, and for a daily driver it turned out to be more of a pain in the *** than it was worth. I'm also downsizing in homes now that we are empty nesters and won't have room for spare wheels/tires (garage taken up by a vintage car).
Old 05-19-2018, 12:50 AM
Supplyguy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JABowders
Have you considered that it might not solely be your tires? It is a 2008, you have a ten year old car now, maybe it is time to replace your struts.

I currently run Continentals currently on my 997.1 and after getting first hand example of the grip and ride of the new MICHELIN® PILOT® SPORT 4 S I will be getting a full set of them when it is time to get new shoes for it.

Best of luck.
Thanks. I thought maybe struts shot or the rear end had been modified, but the 911 shop thought neither a problem. Car has 34,000 miles. Will try tires and see how that goes.
Old 07-08-2018, 09:40 AM
Supplyguy
Intermediate

Default Toyo All Season Tires Changed My Life.. Thanks Stankiyota!

Originally Posted by stankiyota
FWIW. I found these Toyo AS tires on TireBuyer...I don't know if they deliver to your zip code. I have Michelin PS2 summer tires that are Porsche OEM and they are stiff too...switching to Michelin Pilot Sport 4S summer tires as soon as these wear down some. Good luck. www dot tirebuyer dot com/tires/toyo/proxes-4-plus/p/TV190001718:TV190001851. Stan
Was very much on the fence on whether to keep my 2008 as a daily driver because of the abusive ride. Thanks to Stankiyota's recommendation I bought the 19" Toyo all seasons from Tire Buyer and absolutely love them. The ride is perhaps 80% quieter - NOW I know what that engine sounds like! Couldn't hear it before due to road noise. I also no longer hydroplane in the rain. The car also handles a little better - turns in quicker. No, don't think all seasons handle better than summer tires, but new all seasons handle better than (as you all have pointed out to me) 7 year old beat to hell summer tires. Cost about $1,000 for delivery and installation at a local performance shop. Took a five hour road trip and was confident in the rain, comfortable on the highway, and enjoyed a 145 mph sprint on a desolate stretch when challenged by a VR6 VW (does this happen a lot?). Could hear my music AND my engine. Turned this 10 year old 911 over to 40,000 miles and on the return leg pondered flipping it and upgrading! I'm in. Thanks for all the help here.

I know some busted my chops for wanting all season. For daily drivers, I see no reason to suffer through harsh tires on a performance car. I think sometimes 80% of sports car drivers and 4x4 drivers are similar - we confuse the vehicle's capabilities with daily driving realities. I see a lot of 911's commuting on the toll road here in the DC area. And even Ferraris, Lambos, and Ford GT's. We are all slogging it out in traffic and enjoying the occasional off ramp and open stretch, but ain't nobody pushing the limits on even all seasons. Just like Jeep drivers and their knobby mud tires. I'll leave the ultra high performance to the 20% who get to push these great little cars to the edge and need 'em!
Old 07-08-2018, 11:11 AM
Meursault88
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

911 with all season tires is like doing a marathon in flippers.

Quick Reply: Noob - No A/S 19" Tires?!