Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nervous idle, 997.2S, what's normal?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2020, 11:10 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Does the car have a X pipe modification ?
Old 06-07-2020, 11:21 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,562 Likes on 940 Posts

Originally Posted by PhillyNate
I was experiencing an occasional flutter awhile back. Car was running just fine tho. No issues under load or anything. As it turns out a fuel change has cured it 99.9%. I was running Sunoco 93 almost exclusively and was unaware it’s not “Top Tier” fuel. I ran a few tanks of Conoco 93 and it’s all but cured in my case. Needless to say I use nothing but Conoco now AND it’s cheaper. I can only assume it cleaned out something in the fuel system.
Sunoco is hit or miss..I know I got BAD GAS from a Sunoco off of the ShureKill expressway inside Philly as it happened a few times...... A local Shell owner near me was telling me Sunoco sold off its retail a a few years ago... Much of it was sold to 7-Eleven. I asked Her to stop buying gas there and use Shell or Exxon.... even She noticed a difference in performance in her Lexus IS250 AWD.... and I didn't even ask her about it.

https://corp.7-eleven.com/corp-press...-sunoco-stores

But, Sunoco will continue to operate Sunoco stations on NJ and PA turnpikes. I never got bad gas from these outlets... no wonder.

https://www.cspdailynews.com/mergers...ively-complete

Peace
Bruce in Philly
The following users liked this post:
PhillyNate (06-08-2020)
Old 06-08-2020, 01:33 AM
Dartmouth
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 65 Posts

Buy a new throttle body and install it. Not an expensive part to buy. Couple hundred bucks. Fixed my unsteady idle. Never a wiggle again in the rpm needle.
Old 06-08-2020, 11:16 AM
PhillyNate
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
Sunoco is hit or miss..I know I got BAD GAS from a Sunoco off of the ShureKill expressway inside Philly as it happened a few times...... A local Shell owner near me was telling me Sunoco sold off its retail a a few years ago... Much of it was sold to 7-Eleven. I asked Her to stop buying gas there and use Shell or Exxon.... even She noticed a difference in performance in her Lexus IS250 AWD.... and I didn't even ask her about it.

https://corp.7-eleven.com/corp-press...-sunoco-stores

But, Sunoco will continue to operate Sunoco stations on NJ and PA turnpikes. I never got bad gas from these outlets... no wonder.

https://www.cspdailynews.com/mergers...ively-complete

Peace
Bruce in Philly
All makes sense and even more interesting is the particular Sunoco you speak of is across the street from the refinery. The refinery is currently in a transition phase and not so quite coincidentally the fuel (in my opinion) got worse when this was announced. Needless to say I’m done with the brand unless I have no other recourse. My daily driver Honda Accord is running better as well since I’ve stopped using this stuff too.
Old 06-15-2020, 10:01 PM
fdauhajre
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you resolve this?
Old 06-19-2020, 03:50 PM
myltz400
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
2009 C2S 155K miles

I am no expert on bumpy idle.... but..... here is my list of things to attack it, in order, and I did them all:

1- High concentration of Techron or other injector cleaner, then run at high RPMs for a long time .... ala "Italian Tune Up with a Cocktail"
2-Clean stuff, use a can of Mass Air Sensor Cleaner spray: Remove the throttle body and spray the crap out of the thing, including shooting some spray into the pivots (you are not supposed to do this but what the heck), replace or at least clean the gasket (remove and re-seat), and spray and shake dry the mass air sensor.
3- Reset the throttle body (this never did anything for me but was cool to do nonetheless)
4-Replace the throttle body and gasket: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ttle-body.html

BTW, beside a bumpy idle, I started to get "chuggin" under acceleration..... this was the last straw so I replaced the throttle body. Worked and still is dead smooth 95% of the time...

Is this the right way to attack this problem? I dunno....

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Thank you sir.

Worked unbelievably well! I can't understand why the throttle body is so sensitive. The cleaning and reset made my idle smoother, stopped the lunge from a start and rpm match during down shifting. It wasn't even very dirty.
Old 06-19-2020, 05:21 PM
Khloesdad
Rennlist Member

Received 552 Likes on 389 Posts

Recalibrating was the best thing I've done. New plugs, new coils, cleaned TB, still nervous idle. Gave up. Thought it was the nature of the car.

Quick Reply: Nervous idle, 997.2S, what's normal?