Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Signs of being tracked ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2018, 11:27 PM
cosm3os
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 58 Posts

I wouldn't hesitate to get a car with some track time (ie not a dedicated track car). Who do you think pays more attention to maintenace and wear, the guy who tracks or the guy who let's there car sit in a garage?
Old 05-09-2018, 01:13 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 376 Likes on 202 Posts

Maroon Calipers, bits of rubber stashed away inside the wheel wells. But honestly, if the car is showing low over revs, it's been babied. I'm pretty sure even a PDK will hit range one and beyond with any hard driving.
Old 05-09-2018, 02:36 AM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 113 Posts

People who track their cars and put a lot of time and money into taking good care of them don't usually sell them without a very good reason.
Old 05-09-2018, 10:12 AM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Balr14
People who track their cars and put a lot of time and money into taking good care of them don't usually sell them without a very good reason.
reason for sale: too slow, need faster car!
Old 05-09-2018, 11:37 AM
Meursault88
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's all about my motivations - I am looking for a keeper that I can enjoy over the next 20 years +

Old 05-09-2018, 01:03 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

If the car was lightly tracked, I think it's pretty easy to mask that. Hell, I've seen cars that were completely taped up to keep from getting rubber marks on the hood.

But, if the car was in a top run group, there are a few other signs of tracking besides the "rubber under the wheel well." I find that the little ***** of rubber that are tell tale signs of tracking are up in the radiator side pods, near the back. Those are harder to get out. And, sometimes you'll find some rubber in the radiator grills themselves. A few other thoughts:
Check to see if the fender liners are intact. No rubbing, no bare spots, all of the pop rivets still there, etc. Wider tires can rub the inner fender lining when the car is under full lock. On this note, check for rolled fenders.
Check the under body panels, front lip, mud flap things and basically anything that is under the car for zip ties. Things can get shaken loose at the track for a host of reasons and most people don't take extra connectors to the track. The easy fix is to zip tie things together.
Check for upgraded brake ducts and speed bleeders on the calipers.
Check for pagid yellow pads (other pads are harder to tell on visual inspection, but pagid yellows are easy to spot).
Check for upgraded suspension bits, like GT3 roll bars, adjustable drop links, etc etc.
Check the windows for the residue of a camera mount. Gopro mounts or RAM mounts leave a circles on the inside of a window that can be hard to completely remove.
Check the sidepod / speaker on the driver's side. When you don't have 6-point harnesses, you tend to push on the speaker location with your knee. Sometimes, this will leave evidence (like a cracked speaker cover).
Lastly, check the seat where a helmet would rub. Sometimes a little bare spot can be visible.

Yeah, a number of these are crap shoots, but as a body of evidence, you might be able to piece things together.

That being said, with nothing by Range 1, personally I wouldn't even spend another minute considering track usage...

-td
Old 05-09-2018, 02:58 PM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I wouldn’t expect any over revs with the PDK.

Quick Reply: Signs of being tracked ?