Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone paint their own interior bits?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2018, 09:44 PM
GoMo
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone paint their own interior bits?

Thinking about refinishing my interior door pulls from the factory silver to my body color Atlas Grey. Trying to decide if it's worth trying myself or leaving it to the pros. Anyone have any luck doing it yourself?
found this...
Old 05-06-2018, 02:30 PM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

Received 294 Likes on 173 Posts

buy some used ones. Sand. Spray. Clear. Since they're small pieces you can get an auto paint store to mix a small aerosol type can for you.

I did my center console, horseshoe and cup holders. Used a compressor and gun but that was overkill. First time I'd ever done anything like that and it wasn't difficult. Want to do the back of my seats but don't trust my workmanship that much to screw up seat backs. Buying interior trim pieces to mess with isn't expensive.
Old 05-07-2018, 06:33 PM
GoMo
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I'll give it a shot, what kind of prep did you do on your center console?
Old 05-07-2018, 10:55 PM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

Received 294 Likes on 173 Posts

there's a couple of posts on here and elsewhere to get the soft plastic off. That was really the hard part. It turns gummy and then you need to sand it to prep it. I think all my pics are stuck in photobucket limbo but a search should yield results.
Old 05-08-2018, 12:18 AM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 448 Likes on 163 Posts

Center console is an easy DIY and it will look like new. You just need to pull it out, sand down the soft touch to bare plastic and put a bunch of coats on. You can see my DIY instructions here.
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...g-results.html

As for the silver bits, beware. Its some kind of funky plastic that is a bitch to paint. I tried to respray the silver trim on my steering wheel and it was a nightmare. I tried multiple different types of paint and kept on having the paint crinkle as it dried. I then used paint prep spray to remove all the old paint and that ended up cracking the plastic. It took me two days to finally get them right.

I would just buy new silver bits. They are pretty cheap.

Quick Reply: Anyone paint their own interior bits?