Sponsored by:

Darn Flippers

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2018, 11:01 AM
ThomasCarreraGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 276 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by jayson
I was conversing with the seller to buy it but the other party purchased before I could even arrange a PPI (it was sold within 24 hours of the PCA listing).

No big deal - all is fair. Just annoying when it shows up 2 weeks later for sale again at an inflated price.
Yeah, that would be tough. You've got to be real quick with the nice ones. I'm guessing the other buyer was quick to say they would buy it, and you were focused on arranging a PPI, which the seller understands may not go well and result in you deciding against the car. For that reason alone, I favor Porsche CPO cars. I am comfortable putting money down right over the phone, because a Porsche dealer will be legit and the 2 year complete warranty eliminates the major, and even minor problems. Yes, you will pay a higher price, but there is something to be said for peace of mind and a quality product. Porsche will not CPO a car that has had accident damage, and they literally replace everything that isn't like new, including front spoiler lips, tires, filters and fluids. It truly is as close to buying new as possible, will assure that you are not getting suckered with some beat up car, and will be more desirable when you go to sell again if you maintain it. Good luck with your search!
Old 05-11-2018, 11:08 AM
Meursault88
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am leaning that way too but the window is closing for 997.2s and CPO'd cars. 2009-2010 you might be better off with Fidelity and strong DD.
Old 05-11-2018, 12:08 PM
GT2RSobsessed
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Shocked to see that c2s with almost 50k miles at almost $59k. I bought my Carrara white c2s CPO in 2015 with 19k miles. I'm the 2nd owner. I just hit 25k miles this past weekend. 6 speed manual, pretty much same factory options as that car, but I have custom Sand Beige Alcantara steering wheel and interior pieces from Ledermanz, Fister exhaust , sharkwerks cross pipe, Numeric racing short shifter, and hardwired radar. Never tracked or auto x. Car is garage kept, not driven in winter or snow (really it's driven once or twice a month, weather permitting), and is kept in pristine condition - paint and interior. I also have all receipts of work done and logs of my DIY oil changes. If the right offer came along I would let it go, but in my head I have an absolute bare minimum and it's def closer to the flipper price of that c2s and not the original 48k USD because I love the car, it has no stories and is in immaculate condition period. I'm not sure I'm in the ballpark, but I'm sure whoever looked at the car in person and witnessed how OCD I am with my 911. They would be willing to pay that price or over. Looking at through rennlist and 6speed forum, low mileage (under 30k) clean 6 speed 997.2 S seem harder to come by nowadays.
Old 05-11-2018, 12:36 PM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Received 154 Likes on 113 Posts

I was conversing with the seller to buy it but the other party purchased before I could even arrange a PPI (it was sold within 24 hours of the PCA listing).

No big deal - all is fair. Just annoying when it shows up 2 weeks later for sale again at an inflated price.
Be glad you didn't get it then! It is the "winner's curse" of getting too excited and overpaying for a car that has issues. If he doesn't accept a deposit pending PPI, then move on. The key is getting a deposit on the car. Any legit seller will accept asking price and a deposit (non-refundable pending PPI), but if you go the route of "let me arrange a PPI and then we can talk" on a hot car, the seller may not take you seriously, or will sell when the next guy comes along offering money. When I sold my 997.2 C2S last fall, I had a buyer do just that: he arranged for a PPI (which passed with flying colors), flew out to drive it, loved it, but then got analysis paralysis and walked away. Had I insisted on a non-refundable deposit (except in the case of a failed PPI) then he wouldn't have wasted about 10 hours of my time. As a seller, you don't want to deal with those people who get analysis paralysis and end up wasting a bunch of everyone's time.

My advice: be ready to go when the time comes. Hot car+hot price+indecision=someone else's car. Especially this time of year.
Old 05-11-2018, 12:38 PM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by GT2RSobsessed
Shocked to see that c2s with almost 50k miles at almost $59k. I bought my Carrara white c2s CPO in 2015 with 19k miles. I'm the 2nd owner. I just hit 25k miles this past weekend. 6 speed manual, pretty much same factory options as that car, but I have custom Sand Beige Alcantara steering wheel and interior pieces from Ledermanz, Fister exhaust , sharkwerks cross pipe, Numeric racing short shifter, and hardwired radar. Never tracked or auto x. Car is garage kept, not driven in winter or snow (really it's driven once or twice a month, weather permitting), and is kept in pristine condition - paint and interior. I also have all receipts of work done and logs of my DIY oil changes. If the right offer came along I would let it go, but in my head I have an absolute bare minimum and it's def closer to the flipper price of that c2s and not the original 48k USD because I love the car, it has no stories and is in immaculate condition period. I'm not sure I'm in the ballpark, but I'm sure whoever looked at the car in person and witnessed how OCD I am with my 911. They would be willing to pay that price or over. Looking at through rennlist and 6speed forum, low mileage (under 30k) clean 6 speed 997.2 S seem harder to come by nowadays.
I bet it gets knocked down to $54k before it sells. Especially as it is was known to be in "rough" shape. It didn't sound all that well cared for!
Old 05-11-2018, 01:00 PM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

Received 2,383 Likes on 1,292 Posts

... Just annoying when it shows up 2 weeks later for sale again at a market price.
Fixed it for ya
Old 05-11-2018, 01:37 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 358 Likes on 253 Posts

I feel your pain Jayson.

Inventory is very limited so as others have mentioned, you have to be ready to pounce at a moment's notice. Part of buying the right car is having an honest seller. If the seller can't even give you a time of day to earn your business, then it wasn't the car for you. I've been snaked so many times on a 997's because color was mandatory for me. It was frustrating to say the least but with patience, you'll find the right one.

I bought a very clean Carrara white 997.1 S 6 speed with 14K miles back in Feb. The whole purchase and dealing with an honest dealer exceeded my expectations. I saw the car in person on a Sat morning since we were in the area and came from Cars n Coffee in San Clemente. He gave us all of the time we needed for my buddies and I to inspect it inside and out. We were all content that the car was clean and matched it's wear and tear from the limited access we had. The seller and I shook on the deal w/out a deposit, he took the car for the PPI the following week and gave me the entire week to finalize everything. He declined all full cash offers until we touched basis that following Monday.

I remember seeing this white 997.2 Base on Cars.com up in WA for 45K last year. It sat for months until it was reduced to 43K and then it was gone. A week later, it popped back up for sale but at Park Place for 49K. Now it's still sitting for several months now.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=475729917&zip=92128&referrer=%2Fcars-for-sale%2Fsearchresults.xhtml%3Fzip%3D92128%26startYear%3D2009%26sortBy%3Dd erivedpriceASC%26vehicleStyleCodes%3DCOUPE%26incremental%3Dall%26firstRe cord%3D0%26endYear%3D2012%26modelCodeList%3D911%26makeCodeList%3DPOR%26s earchRadius%3D0%26trimCodeList%3D911%257CCarrera%2BS%252C911%257CCarrera %26transmissionCodes%3DMAN&startYear=2009&numRecords=25&vehicleStyleCode s=COUPE&firstRecord=0&endYear=2012&modelCodeList=911&makeCodeList=POR&se archRadius=0&makeCode1=POR&modelCode1=911
Old 05-11-2018, 02:18 PM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by DesmoSD
I feel your pain Jayson.

Inventory is very limited so as others have mentioned, you have to be ready to pounce at a moment's notice. Part of buying the right car is having an honest seller. If the seller can't even give you a time of day to earn your business, then it wasn't the car for you. I've been snaked so many times on a 997's because color was mandatory for me. It was frustrating to say the least but with patience, you'll find the right one.

I bought a very clean Carrara white 997.1 S 6 speed with 14K miles back in Feb. The whole purchase and dealing with an honest dealer exceeded my expectations. I saw the car in person on a Sat morning since we were in the area and came from Cars n Coffee in San Clemente. He gave us all of the time we needed for my buddies and I to inspect it inside and out. We were all content that the car was clean and matched it's wear and tear from the limited access we had. The seller and I shook on the deal w/out a deposit, he took the car for the PPI the following week and gave me the entire week to finalize everything. He declined all full cash offers until we touched basis that following Monday.

I remember seeing this white 997.2 Base on Cars.com up in WA for 45K last year. It sat for months until it was reduced to 43K and then it was gone. A week later, it popped back up for sale but at Park Place for 49K. Now it's still sitting for several months now.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...modelCode1=911
My thoughts exactly. Every private party transaction I have had (save two) has been great: honest, upfront seller to make sure the car is as described. If they blow you off, move on; FOMO is dangerous when buying a car. You may have to pay a "bit" more to get a clean, no stories car, but those of us who have been through the process can tell you it is worth it.
Old 05-11-2018, 02:22 PM
jayson
Pro

Received 480 Likes on 142 Posts

Thx all for the advice - everything happened between a Sunday evening and Monday morning but def things to consider for the future. My challenge is I’m looking for a specific 997.2 S in Carrara white with black interior, 6-speed. This one now has new 20in wheels which I would not want and with taxes over $60k for a 50k mile car. Thats’s getting near or into GTS pricing territory (and 996 GT3)...

Oh well, life goes on.

Old 05-11-2018, 02:59 PM
Meursault88
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This stellar all black base with less than 40k miles and 6mt sold in Houston for $40k even

Old 05-11-2018, 04:30 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 139 Posts

Thx all for the advice - everything happened between a Sunday evening and Monday morning but def things to consider for the future. My challenge is I’m looking for a specific 997.2 S in Carrara white with black interior, 6-speed. This one now has new 20in wheels which I would not want and with taxes over $60k for a 50k mile car. Thats’s getting near or into GTS pricing territory (and 996 GT3)...

Oh well, life goes on.

I saw this a Porsche of Tysons as I was there to get my new 700 dollar tail light....Its a white S with six speed, black interior. Looked very clean to me.

https://www.porschetysonscorner.com/...-17642479.html
Old 05-11-2018, 04:35 PM
jayson
Pro

Received 480 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by DC911S
I saw this a Porsche of Tysons as I was there to get my new 700 dollar tail light....Its a white S with six speed, black interior. Looked very clean to me.

https://www.porschetysonscorner.com/...-17642479.html
Looks awesome, if it was a 997.2 I’d be all over it.
Old 05-11-2018, 05:35 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by raidersfan
My thoughts exactly. Every private party transaction I have had (save two) has been great: honest, upfront seller to make sure the car is as described. If they blow you off, move on; FOMO is dangerous when buying a car. You may have to pay a "bit" more to get a clean, no stories car, but those of us who have been through the process can tell you it is worth it.
+100

Oh well, life goes on.

I was in the same boat as you and from my experience it took me over a year. My fallback color was Aqua Blue but even with my criteria, it was very tough to find one since majority of the white 997's had sand beige interior or some other issues. My criteria had to be a 997.2, either Base or S, Carrara white, 6 speed, black or stone gray interior, sub 50K miles, open to stripper or nicely built all while staying within budget.

The time stamp of these pics that I took was May 19, 2017 so it about a year ago. I found an Aqua Blue 997.2 Base at Sports Trends Auto in Los Angeles with only 12K miles, 1 owner, black interior, 6 speed, SoCal owned and they were asking 56K. I saw it in person and the car was what I was looking for minus white but my second choice. I lost sleep over it because they were able to do 53K and that time, I saw a good amount of 997.2 S with higher mileage in that price range. Realistically, to me, this car was 50K but the CA tax would put me in the 60K range.

I hate to burst your bubble but be patient. The ship has sailed already for clean 997's at decent prices since they've bottomed out a couple years ago. Last year, there were choices. Now with articles and blogs stating how the 997 "is the best gen ever", they are going at a faster rate or and with a price adjustment. When you find one, she'll speak to you and you just have to do it. Timing is everything.
Old 05-12-2018, 02:54 AM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by DesmoSD
+100

I was in the same boat as you and from my experience it took me over a year. My fallback color was Aqua Blue but even with my criteria, it was very tough to find one since majority of the white 997's had sand beige interior or some other issues. My criteria had to be a 997.2, either Base or S, Carrara white, 6 speed, black or stone gray interior, sub 50K miles, open to stripper or nicely built all while staying within budget.

The time stamp of these pics that I took was May 19, 2017 so it about a year ago. I found an Aqua Blue 997.2 Base at Sports Trends Auto in Los Angeles with only 12K miles, 1 owner, black interior, 6 speed, SoCal owned and they were asking 56K. I saw it in person and the car was what I was looking for minus white but my second choice. I lost sleep over it because they were able to do 53K and that time, I saw a good amount of 997.2 S with higher mileage in that price range. Realistically, to me, this car was 50K but the CA tax would put me in the 60K range.

I hate to burst your bubble but be patient. The ship has sailed already for clean 997's at decent prices since they've bottomed out a couple years ago. Last year, there were choices. Now with articles and blogs stating how the 997 "is the best gen ever", they are going at a faster rate or and with a price adjustment. When you find one, she'll speak to you and you just have to do it. Timing is everything.
Aqua Blue; that would be my first choice, personally! I almost never see 997 models in that color, although a guy who lives 5 blocks away had an aqua blue 997.2 C2S that I would see occasionally. That car was in need of an exhaust upgrade; the stock 997.2 sounds almost like a Prius. The last time I passed by his open garage, the 997 was gone, replaced with yet another Cayenne. SUV Porsches must outnumber sportscars 25 to 1 around here; it is frankly getting ridiculous.
Old 05-12-2018, 03:47 AM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by raidersfan
Aqua Blue; that would be my first choice, personally! I almost never see 997 models in that color, although a guy who lives 5 blocks away had an aqua blue 997.2 C2S that I would see occasionally. That car was in need of an exhaust upgrade; the stock 997.2 sounds almost like a Prius. The last time I passed by his open garage, the 997 was gone, replaced with yet another Cayenne. SUV Porsches must outnumber sportscars 25 to 1 around here; it is frankly getting ridiculous.
Yeah, it became my fav color when I saw it in person. Looking back, I shouldn't have even worried about the 3K delta and done the deal. However, I actually talked myself out of it b/c they keep all of their cars outside so the paint had obvious swirl marks. It had a dead battery that needed to be jumped. When he pulled the batt cover, I saw some gray splatter. To me it looked like primer over-spray. Also, the driver's side lower fender paint looked a little off but I didn't measure it.

This is one did sound tame. Lol

Quick Reply: Darn Flippers