Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Control Module Programmable?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2018, 01:18 PM
997.1 Porsche C4
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Control Module Programmable?

Hello All,

I recently had some issues with my rear control module and decided to replace it with a used module from DC Automotive. I have a 2007 997 Carrera 4 with a sunroof. The part number for the stock module is 997 618 260 06, DC sent me a module that was 997 618 260 04. Which seems to be for a convertible top (according to my durametric software). So my sunroof doesn't work, everything else is great.

DC has told me that it initially thought that it should be interchangeable from the models, but after some digging they recommended getting one programmed (if possible) at a dealership. They have sent me a label for return and tried to help to no avail. But have been great in trying to help me solve my problem!

My question today, is it possible to reprogram a rear control module from a convertible to a hard top with a sunroof? From a personal or dealership perspective (will be reaching out to dealership tomorrow)? I don't think it's possible to reprogram with the Durametric enthusiasts version. Please let me know your thoughts, and recommendations, thanks!

Cheers,

Tony
Old 04-29-2018, 03:20 PM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by 997.1 Porsche C4
Hello All,

I recently had some issues with my rear control module and decided to replace it with a used module from DC Automotive. I have a 2007 997 Carrera 4 with a sunroof. The part number for the stock module is 997 618 260 06, DC sent me a module that was 997 618 260 04. Which seems to be for a convertible top (according to my durametric software). So my sunroof doesn't work, everything else is great.

DC has told me that it initially thought that it should be interchangeable from the models, but after some digging they recommended getting one programmed (if possible) at a dealership. They have sent me a label for return and tried to help to no avail. But have been great in trying to help me solve my problem!

My question today, is it possible to reprogram a rear control module from a convertible to a hard top with a sunroof? From a personal or dealership perspective (will be reaching out to dealership tomorrow)? I don't think it's possible to reprogram with the Durametric enthusiasts version. Please let me know your thoughts, and recommendations, thanks!

Cheers,

Tony
My first issue or concern would be going "backwards" in part# versions.

in my 2006 I did a rear end conversion last year and replaced same part # 06 and replaced with ending in 08.
08 allowed my mechanic to go in to the gateway parameters using a dealer durametric and switch my light controls from condescent to LED. this was only possible with durametric and only possible with updated 08 module.. they also reprogrammed another car i have to use a different pcm from with no errors with the durametric. so there are a lot of parameters they can change.

I cant imagine porsche using different modules for convertibles but that it should be a programmable option. again, my concern would be older part#.

I do still have my original 06 part# module and my C4S has sunroof. let me know if interested.
Old 04-29-2018, 03:55 PM
LAPorscheGuy
Track Day

Should be able to code the control unit with a PIWIS. I am not familiar with Durametric.
Old 04-30-2018, 07:57 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,726 Likes on 4,278 Posts

Durametric Pro is the only version that allows for coding of options in the modules. I'd be surprised if the last two digits being different matter. When Porsche assigns a part # it ends in 00 and as a change to that part occurs it gets the next sequential # 01, 02, etc so the module you have is the same part, just 2 versions earlier.

I've seen the sunroof and convertible options in the coding list of certain modules in my Durametric Pro. Sometimes when coding you have to check a box in more than one module to get proper functionality.
Old 04-30-2018, 10:27 AM
997.1 Porsche C4
6th Gear

Thanks guys,

Everything posted was very informative, I will double check to see if part number 06 is programmable or not with a dealer, since I don't have (or know anyone with) a pro version of Durametric or PIWIS. If that all fails I will return it, I will post the results.

Once again, thank you all!

Cheers,

Tony
Old 04-30-2018, 11:09 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,647 Likes on 983 Posts

Mr Petza is correct, those last two digits in Porsche part numberology is a version number.... myth and speculation as to why it changes.... upgraded, different supplier, whatever.... general rule is to get the biggest number hoping that any deficiencies in a prior part were addressed. This doesn;t mean a lower number is a bad part.... but these do evolve over time.

I also remember somethings in my Durametric Pro for coding sunroofs and cabs tops..... never cared much about it. Just call a dealer and ask... but don;t be suprised the service manager has any clue... I am always surprised at how little the dealers actually know particularly when it comes to software. But, they can figure it out and will probably charge their hourly rate.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Quick Reply: Rear Control Module Programmable?