Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oily residue on upper power steering reservoir neck and pump noise.

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 08:48 PM
ALEV8
Three Wheelin'

Received 71 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Oily residue on upper power steering reservoir neck and pump noise.

I’ve searched the forum for mitigating leaks from the power steering reservoir, as I can clearly see oily residue at the junction of the upper reservoir and lower body. I have some noise from the pump at each of the limits L& R. I checked my fluid level today after driving home and there’s no loss of fluid. No bubbling or foaming present in the reservoir. I ordered some Pentosin CH11S preventatively in the event the old fluid has merely lost its properties and needs a refilling. Has anyone experienced a failure of the seals at the junction of the upper reservoir and lower body/pump? Not a lot out there on it. Only thing I can think of is clean it all up and monitor the level and that oily junction of the components.

Last edited by ALEV8; 04-24-2018 at 02:41 AM.
Old 04-24-2018, 03:56 PM
OnlineAlias
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, its a thing, though you don't seem to have much going on that is a big deal. Rip out, replace. All good.

Top tip: Put Pentosin CHF202 in it for refill. Same stuff, but is synthetic and has a wider temperature range for maintaining viscosity. It quiets the pump better, especially when cold/at startup. I've also found over the years that since 202 creates less extreme pressures (like when cold), it tends to preserve seals better.

Siphon it out, refill, siphon out, refill if you don't want to actually flush the system by opening it up.
Old 04-24-2018, 10:34 PM
ALEV8
Three Wheelin'

Received 71 Likes on 49 Posts

I’m leaning towards replacing that upper unit.

Quick Reply: Oily residue on upper power steering reservoir neck and pump noise.