Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drain plug stripped - wait till next oil change?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 11:05 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 124 Posts

Make sure and replace it with a magnetic drain plug tha has been Hard Anodized. Less chance of stripping out in the future.
Old 04-30-2018, 11:30 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
How did the rounding happen? Power tool used?
no power tools.
The correct hex tool was deployed.
Just with the back end jacked up on stands and that space being still narrow for my large frame there is hardly any room beyond me sliding under the back end, so the wrench has to be extended with my arm out and in the angled position 2 feet from my nose I didn't realize I didn't have the tool end of the torque wrench fully seated but only 1/2 in there, so the bit and wrench were able to angle slightly which then enlarges the plug opening which then alllows looser fit and more tilt and wham the opening is rounded.

Ensuring the tool is fully seated is the key. If I had a lift and could get the car 2 ft off the floor that would be way easier but I don't have the room.

So i am physically marking the tool to give me a clear visual indicator so I can be sure it's in there before I apply torque to the wrench.
Old 05-01-2018, 08:21 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Minok

no power tools.
The correct hex tool was deployed.
Just with the back end jacked up on stands and that space being still narrow for my large frame there is hardly any room beyond me sliding under the back end, so the wrench has to be extended with my arm out and in the angled position 2 feet from my nose I didn't realize I didn't have the tool end of the torque wrench fully seated but only 1/2 in there, so the bit and wrench were able to angle slightly which then enlarges the plug opening which then alllows looser fit and more tilt and wham the opening is rounded.

Ensuring the tool is fully seated is the key. If I had a lift and could get the car 2 ft off the floor that would be way easier but I don't have the room.

So i am physically marking the tool to give me a clear visual indicator so I can be sure it's in there before I apply torque to the wrench.
I use this to avoid that very issue - not seating the hex bit fully.

http://www.drainplugmagnets.com/porsche.php
Old 05-01-2018, 08:47 AM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

Received 2,387 Likes on 1,295 Posts

Originally Posted by Minok

.............. If I had a lift and could get the car 2 ft off the floor that would be way easier but I don't have the room...
Here's your solution: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ot-a-set.html; I've been using liftbars for years with my 928s, my Boxster, and now my 997. Best $200 or so I've spent in my home shop.
The following users liked this post:
jbkusa (09-18-2022)
Old 05-01-2018, 08:52 AM
96Tiger
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by linderpat
Here's your solution: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ot-a-set.html; I've been using liftbars for years with my 928s, my Boxster, and now my 997. Best $200 or so I've spent in my home shop.
I’m curious about the lift bars but your link isn’t working. Can you try to post it again?
Old 05-01-2018, 10:29 AM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

try this: http://liftbars.com/

and here is a prior rennlist thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...got-a-set.html
Old 05-12-2018, 10:20 PM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

OK, so here I am in the same friggin boat. So much for that hardened steel magnetic drain plug - bought an LN mag plug, and the damn thing stripped out today - my very first time removing it :bangheadI'll try the JB weld trick. At least I still have my old stock plug to put in. The car is on lift bars, so plenty of room.
Old 12-23-2019, 02:27 AM
shyamvenky
Burning Brakes

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

OK, so here I am in the same friggin boat. So much for that hardened steel magnetic drain plug - bought an LN mag plug, and the damn thing stripped out today - my very first time removing it :bangheadI'll try the JB weld trick. At least I still have my old stock plug to put in. The car is on lift bars, so plenty of room.
Sorry to wake this thread up, but I’m in the same boat. Did the JB weld trick work??
—Shyam
Old 12-23-2019, 09:43 AM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

It did not for me. I also tried a chisel to tap it out, but failed. Here is a thread I had on it - I poste to the 928 forum, but it was for my 997: https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/1155405-removing-stripped-flush-allen-head-bolt.html.
Anyway,
try JB Weld first - be sure to clean everything real good with brake cleaner first, to give the JB the best chance of holding. Other options include using a dremel tool to cut a groove then use a screw driver or chisel to turn it out. Good luck and make sure you post your results here afterwards.
Old 12-23-2019, 11:47 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

It did not for me. I also tried a chisel to tap it out, but failed. Here is a thread I had on it - I poste to the 928 forum, but it was for my 997: https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/1155405-removing-stripped-flush-allen-head-bolt.html.
Anyway,
try JB Weld first - be sure to clean everything real good with brake cleaner first, to give the JB the best chance of holding. Other options include using a dremel tool to cut a groove then use a screw driver or chisel to turn it out. Good luck and make sure you post your results here afterwards.
And Shyam after your success in removal, if you haven't done so already, update your toolbox to include an 8mm hex bit (not torx) and the proper torque spec of 19 ft/lb.
Old 12-23-2019, 12:19 PM
Porto911
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
And Shyam after your success in removal, if you haven't done so already, update your toolbox to include an 8mm hex bit (not torx) and the proper torque spec of 19 ft/lb.
19 ft/lb? Not for the drain plug

Torque Specs -

Oil Plug 37 ft/lb
Oil Filter Housing 19 ft/lb

Old 12-23-2019, 01:46 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,406 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by Porto911
19 ft/lb? Not for the drain plug

Torque Specs -

Oil Plug 37 ft/lb
Oil Filter Housing 19 ft/lb
LN drain plug requires 19lb ft. for the stock plug your specs are correct
Old 12-23-2019, 02:02 PM
Porto911
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
LN drain plug requires 19lb ft. for the stock plug your specs are correct

I’m sorry.. I just keeping learning something new every time I come here.

I Stand corrected

thanks
Old 12-23-2019, 03:54 PM
shyamvenky
Burning Brakes

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

Anyway,
Thanks for the update. I got a couple of spare OEM drain plugs and washers from the dealership this morning. Street-corner auto shop doesn't specialize in P-cars.
I have a spare 8mm hex bit and a hammer/mallet, and some JB weld as well. The only thing I don't want is a leaking bolt or one that's drilled through.
So I'll try my best, if not I'll take it to the guy that rounded the plug in the first place.
I suspect they over-tightened the plug beyond 19 lb-ft. In any case, the aluminium is too soft to tell who started the rounding - I basically finished it

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Yes sir, I already have the 8mm hex bit (not torx) - not my first oil change on the car - but I just had the Indy do the oil change last time since the car was in for other work.

Old 12-23-2019, 03:58 PM
ajayabb
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Good luck Shyam. Keep us posted

Quick Reply: Drain plug stripped - wait till next oil change?