Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

iPhone phone & music - easy, cheap?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 03:55 PM
sailorlite
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default iPhone phone & music - easy, cheap?

Pairing via Bluetooth is evidently the modern way to use a cellphone in a car. I'd like to receive and make calls, handsfree, with the car's speakers and an added mic. - and maybe play some of the music stored on my iPhone 7. Is there a practical way to accomplish this on my '05 997 without having to replace the entire PCM head unit? By practical I mean not too expensive and not requiring irreversible modifications to the car. Thanks.
Old 04-20-2018, 05:15 PM
shyamvenky
Burning Brakes

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

Applicable only if you have the BOSE amplifier

Search for "LA Power Bluetooth" or "iSimple Tranzit Blu HF" => both are not expensive - you'll retain your PCM and "all" it's functions.
Both have around the same complexity to install - biggest thing is to route the microphone wire to somewhere without much noise.

LA Power Bluetooth thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...bluetooth.html
iSimple thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...bluetooth.html

That said.. I have an iSimple in my car and it works fine. But I'm thinking of changing the head unit itself.
If you'd like, I can sell my kit for $40 + shipping (I think these are around $80 new). LA Power is around $140 new.
Old 04-20-2018, 05:21 PM
Carerra
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I use one of these and it works great with my iPhone7.

Amazon Amazon
Old 04-20-2018, 07:02 PM
shyamvenky
Burning Brakes

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Carerra
I use one of these and it works great with my iPhone7.

https://www.amazon.com/Mpow-Bluetoot...etooth+adapter
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you need an AUX port in the first place to use this module?
Old 04-20-2018, 10:51 PM
Carerra
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by shyamvenky
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you need an AUX port in the first place to use this module?

I use the AUX port in the little cubby between the seats.

The iPhone connects via bluetooth to this unit, and this unit uses the AUX to the car.
Old 04-20-2018, 11:02 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 465 Likes on 166 Posts

Get the LaPower bluetooth module. It does exactly what you are looking for at $150. Its hands down the best solution on the market today. Costs 1/4 that of a Dension unit, its integrated directly in your optical loop, you keep the factory PCM controls and it activates hands-free calling directly through your "Tel" menu in the PCM.

The PCM 2.1 was my biggest complaint on the 997.1 until I got the LaPower unit. Now it has all the modern conveniences and the retro LCD look has grown on me.

Quick Reply: iPhone phone & music - easy, cheap?