Sponsored by:

slow start on 997 2008 Carrera 2s

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 11:29 AM
carel
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default slow start on 997 2008 Carrera 2s

I have got a 2008 997 Carrera S with a starter turning slowly in the beginning. the problem is worse when engine is warm. Some mechanics recon it is the cable between starter and battery that could be too thin. Voltage drop tests on cable rather suggests starter problem.

Was this possibly a model problem?
Old 04-17-2018, 12:14 PM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by carel
I have got a 2008 997 Carrera S with a starter turning slowly in the beginning. the problem is worse when engine is warm. Some mechanics recon it is the cable between starter and battery that could be too thin. Voltage drop tests on cable rather suggests starter problem.

Was this possibly a model problem?
There have been many discussions about the "hot/warm startup" issues. When these cars first came out they have a bad crimp in the battery cable that caused some loss in voltage power. Discussions ranging from trickle charging, replacing batteries, cables and starters can be found by searching rennlist. Most of the 997s should have already had that battery cable replaced under warranty at some point in the past already. Although that could still be the issue, the starter on a 10 year old car may just be getting tired. I have several friends who had the same hot startup problems and after replacing an old starter the problem was resolved. In fact, I am replacing my starter this weekend. I have had this issue as well for quite some time and have even pulled out the battery pin inside the firewall to clean up any corrosion, which there was barely any living in dry/hot southern California. I know my battery cable was replaced years ago under warranty. So I am placing my bet on a new starter to solve the problem. I will keep ya posted if you like.

You can find the direct starter replacement online for around $200. Porsche part dealer price is 5x's that price!

Bosch SR-0808 N
Fitment Type: Direct Replacement Manufacturer Part Number: 0001123052
Region of Manufacture: Hungary Interchange Part Number: 99660410300, 996 604 103 00, 99660410301, 01
Other Part Number: SR0808N, SR0808 N, SR 0808 N, SR0808X, SR0808

btw... for Bosch parts... if part# ends with "N" = new. X = remanufactured to bosch specs.
Old 04-17-2018, 12:46 PM
bmwfan328
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

qikqbn is right on the money. replace the starter with a Bosch unit and enjoy the instant starts, hot or cold. don't bother with the cable. I contemplated doing the cable, researched for months. super labor intensive, and many people who replaced only the cable, cleaned the pin, etc had the hot start issue return relatively soon. I was at a point of having to put my car on a charger (2 year old battery) every 3 days due to the draw from the old starter. installed the Bosch unit three months ago and haven't had a problem since, still on the same battery.
Old 04-17-2018, 01:03 PM
rwdds
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 38 Posts

Replace the starter. That's what solved my 2008 C2S hot start problem.
Old 04-17-2018, 01:26 PM
yvesvidal
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 70 Posts

Relatively easy to do.....http://murenae.com/FTP_Files/997.1-Starter.pdf

Yves
Old 04-17-2018, 02:28 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 465 Likes on 166 Posts

Well you learn something new everyday. I have more of a "stumble start" than "slow start" when hot. Assumed it was the cable and been on my list to change. Its still only minor so not high on the priority list. However after reading this im now leaning more towards my starter is the culprit and im wondering if my cable was already replaced under warranty. I don't have it listed in the PO's records for the past 4-5 years, but it was a CPO car before that.

@qikqbn - is there anyway to tell if you have the new cable or old? I got a good look at it when replacing my clutch a few months back but never thought to check the part number. Let us know how the install goes. A before/after video would be great.

@Yves - you need to compile all your writeups into the first 997 DIY manual. I've used your posts for all my projects and they are excellent. Tell your son 700k Toyotas were just recalled for faulty airbags last month and there is a class action suit for excessive oil consumption for all 06-11 model years. I'll take the 997 any day, particularly with you writing the manuals :-)
Old 04-17-2018, 04:40 PM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TheBruce
Well you learn something new everyday. I have more of a "stumble start" than "slow start" when hot. Assumed it was the cable and been on my list to change. Its still only minor so not high on the priority list. However after reading this im now leaning more towards my starter is the culprit and im wondering if my cable was already replaced under warranty. I don't have it listed in the PO's records for the past 4-5 years, but it was a CPO car before that.

@qikqbn - is there anyway to tell if you have the new cable or old? I got a good look at it when replacing my clutch a few months back but never thought to check the part number. Let us know how the install goes. A before/after video would be great.

@Yves - you need to compile all your writeups into the first 997 DIY manual. I've used your posts for all my projects and they are excellent. Tell your son 700k Toyotas were just recalled for faulty airbags last month and there is a class action suit for excessive oil consumption for all 06-11 model years. I'll take the 997 any day, particularly with you writing the manuals :-)
For all Porsche Parts the last 2 digits refer to a new "version" of that part. 00 = Original..... 01 = next version upgrade.... 02 = next version upgrade.... and so on and so on. Some part numbers are up to version 08 or 09 on some of the last 997s. Porsche is all about engineering evolution on parts too. The only way I can imagine to be able to see if you have an upgraded battery cable is to find the part # you have on your existing cable or track down a work order history from the VIN#. Not sure where to look for that part# on the cable, but I will take a gander when I am in there. Maybe you can track down original dealership that sold the car when new. May have a work history based on Vin#

I believe the latest Part # 997-607-019-03 for that battery to starter cable.

there is a how to diy with lots of pics here: https://www.renntech.org/forums/foru...s-and-repairs/

looks like a major p.i.t.a So I am glad it was done under warranty. Keeping my fingers crossed this new starter does the trick, because it does not seem like a ball buster job to do
Old 04-17-2018, 08:50 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 465 Likes on 166 Posts

@qikqbn - thanks!! I had some notes on the cable replacement but the Renntech post was very comprehensive.

I think you are right. Replacing the starter looks like the best first step. Much simpler project. I first was thinking you might as well do both if you are ripping stuff out, but you skip the alternator and AOS, which my indy said was the hardest part.

BTW - when are you posting more videos? You had some awesome vids in the Canyons.
Old 04-18-2018, 03:16 AM
carel
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by qikqbn
There have been many discussions about the "hot/warm startup" issues. When these cars first came out they have a bad crimp in the battery cable that caused some loss in voltage power. Discussions ranging from trickle charging, replacing batteries, cables and starters can be found by searching rennlist. Most of the 997s should have already had that battery cable replaced under warranty at some point in the past already. Although that could still be the issue, the starter on a 10 year old car may just be getting tired. I have several friends who had the same hot startup problems and after replacing an old starter the problem was resolved. In fact, I am replacing my starter this weekend. I have had this issue as well for quite some time and have even pulled out the battery pin inside the firewall to clean up any corrosion, which there was barely any living in dry/hot southern California. I know my battery cable was replaced years ago under warranty. So I am placing my bet on a new starter to solve the problem. I will keep ya posted if you like.

You can find the direct starter replacement online for around $200. Porsche part dealer price is 5x's that price!

Bosch SR-0808 N
Fitment Type: Direct Replacement Manufacturer Part Number: 0001123052
Region of Manufacture: Hungary Interchange Part Number: 99660410300, 996 604 103 00, 99660410301, 01
Other Part Number: SR0808N, SR0808 N, SR 0808 N, SR0808X, SR0808

btw... for Bosch parts... if part# ends with "N" = new. X = remanufactured to bosch specs.
Yes , Thank you very much fo very comprehensive and helpfull answers- planning to replace starter-will keep posted. regards Carel
Old 04-18-2018, 03:58 AM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

2008 guy......

I had my factory tech guy do all of the factory tests. It was the Starter.

BUT it could have been one of the cables, one of the connections, the battery etc.

Main point is you (or a qualified tech) go through this methodically to find the offender. One car it might be one of the cables, the other the connector.......
Old 04-18-2018, 08:53 AM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

The cable was a problem for MY 2006. Not an issue for MY after.
Old 04-18-2018, 09:16 AM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

I would first check the battery to make sure that is not your problem. Replacing the battery solved my slow start ( and slower hot start) issue.
Old 04-18-2018, 08:34 PM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TheBruce
@qikqbn - thanks!! I had some notes on the cable replacement but the Renntech post was very comprehensive.

I think you are right. Replacing the starter looks like the best first step. Much simpler project. I first was thinking you might as well do both if you are ripping stuff out, but you skip the alternator and AOS, which my indy said was the hardest part.

BTW - when are you posting more videos? You had some awesome vids in the Canyons.
Glad that DIY was helpful! Haha... thanks! glad you liked them. Made those vids quick and dirty at the time. Maybe in the future when I get some time off I will do them right and a bit more professional.
Old 04-22-2018, 12:54 AM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

So I completed the install of new starter last night. About a 3 hour job taking your time. This included me cleaning my throttle body, then cleaning my MAF Sensor, which then lead to me to cleaning my Air Filter, and doing a quick engine clean.... so it will take less time if you skip all that.

Still. The pdf file attached in previous post was a great guide and it's not that difficult with patience. Figure about an hour to disassemble and clear a path to the starter.
Then about 1/2 hour to remove and reinstall starter.
Add 15 minutes for 2 beers as a reward for getting the pain the *** bolt hidden underneath the starter. It actually was not too bad, but my hands were totally chewed up afterwards.
and about 45 minutes to reassemble.

I did not remove the 2nd cross plenum. But suggest you loosen the hose clamps on the plenum to avoid gouging the heck out of your hands
Have a magnetic extension close by in case you drop any sockets or tools. Make sure you hold on to that bottom bolt as you unscrew it. You do not want to drop that in to the back of the engine bay.
also Be sure to tape the bolt into the socket before guiding it into the bottom hole on install. Some tape just to hold the edge of the bolt head in the socket.

So the answer to the big question.. Did the new starter resolve my hot slow start issue??? YES, yes it did. She turns over with gusto and starts right up. Went on a few errands where I know in the past the hot slow start would occur in between stops.
Starts right up with no hesitations at all even when hot. Also I did not charge my battery at all before this. I had some slow starts earlier in the day before I did the replacement. So I wanted the same battery charge level with the new starter.

Definitely solved my problem and hopefully this works for you too. I will have to wait and see if the issue comes back, but pretty confident based on my tests today that my old starter was just tired after 12 years of cranking.
Old 04-22-2018, 02:53 AM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats and dont sweat it. You are over the hump. It sounds like a sewing machine on start up huh? Such a good sound to hear a healthy start after runnin errands in a hot car..

When I dropped off my car with my factory P-tech. He told me to move it over to another spot. Well, crap.....it couldnt turn over fast enough to start. We had a chuckle and there it was left until it cooled off.

Quick Reply: slow start on 997 2008 Carrera 2s