Sponsored by:

Shift Cables - which does what?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2018, 12:45 PM
61HealeyBN7
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shift Cables - which does what?

I'm installing a Numeric shifter and FF Shift **** on my (new to me) 997.1. With the stock shifter, I was getting lots of block-out going into 1st, and some higher force shifting into 2nd. 60k miles on the car. The other gears shift great. Clutch is fine.
So - I was looking at the shift mechanism on the stock unit with it sitting on my bench. Moving the shift lever side to side (y) and fore/aft (x), it looks like the left side cable works the side to side 'gate' selection (1st/2nd, 3rd/4th, 5th/6th), while the right side cable works the fore/aft gear selection: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc. Is this the way this shift cable system works?
In my searching, I haven't seen any discussion on the forums about this specifically. There's a reason I ask, but wanted to confirm which is which first.
tnx
Dave
'08 C4S
Old 04-14-2018, 02:24 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 983 Posts

2009 C2s 124k miles

You may want to do some casual reading here:

1st gear jam: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-gear-oil.html
My and others Numeric installation here: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-of-5-a-3.html

If you are looking for the Numeric shifter to fix that fore/aft issue jam going into first..... I think you are going to be disapointed. All the clicking, springing etc... is done inside the transmission. All that shifter does is push pull those shift cables with no intelligence ("cables" are actually flexible rods)... and you now can clearly see that.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Quick Reply: Shift Cables - which does what?