'Passenger Air Bag Off' Light Problem Request for Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2018, 11:43 AM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts
Default 'Passenger Air Bag Off' Light Problem Request for Help

Trying to troubleshoot an issue and could use some easy help:

When you start your 997.2, does the "Passenger Air Bag Off' light in the console cycle on and off?

Here is my issue and how an answer to the above would help:

After taking my car out of storage the horn started chirping when I locked the car. This usually means there is an open circuit or a draw on the battery outside normal parameters. There was nothing obvious after physically checking all the compartments were closed or off (glove box, frunk lid, engine compartment lid, interior accessory lighting, etc).

Next step was to hook up the Durametric Pro and check codes.
There were four codes... all of them for lights:
Frunk light no signal
Passenger airbag off light no signal
Left door light no signal
Right door light no signal

I figured this was just because they weren't actually 'on' so there was no draw for the can bus to read.
So I opened both doors and the frunk lid then attempted to clear the codes. All was good and clear. That solved those three error codes.

But the horn still chirped and the passenger airbag off light code would not clear. Again being the only error.

I popped out the light housing form the console (easy job) thinking it may be a burnt bulb or something but these are LEDs. Not normal that these fail.
I did test with a multimeter to see what kind of resistance I was getting on it and there was no continuity read at all. So it indeed might be broken.

So to be sure I need to pony up to get one I want to be sure it actually doesn't work. Mine does not light up when the car cycles through the lights and systems when starting up. I'm thinking that it should actually illuminate which is why I posed the question above. Hopefully this is the issue and replacing it will stop the horn chirp.

Long story but there you go.

Last edited by nwGTS; 04-14-2018 at 12:07 PM.
Old 04-14-2018, 12:05 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 124 Posts

I just checked my 997.2 and when you insert the key the center console airbag light comes on for 5 seconds. I may have an extra one from my airbag deactivation kit. I will need to check.
Old 04-14-2018, 12:08 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Great to know and thanks for the quick reply. I'll test continuity coming from the wire harness when I start the car just to be sure there is power to the light. The iPod and USB connections work so I'm thinking the PCB for the airbag off light has a break in the circuit somewhere.
I'll update this thread for closure.
Cheers!
Old 04-14-2018, 12:23 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 124 Posts

Also the resistance test you did may not work. It depends on the type of diode. Best way to tell for sure is hook it up to a 9 volt battery. Remember polarity matters so try it both ways.
Old 04-14-2018, 12:52 PM
BillNye
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

This may be dumb, but what happens if you clear the code, then re-test while sitting in the passenger seat?
Old 04-14-2018, 01:12 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by doclouie
Also the resistance test you did may not work. It depends on the type of diode. Best way to tell for sure is hook it up to a 9 volt battery. Remember polarity matters so try it both ways.
I thought about that immediately after typing LED above.. tested with 9V and it works fine. 2 steps forward and 1 step back.
Going to try to clear the code while the light is on with some weight in the passenger seat if I can confirm power to the harness.

Quick Reply: 'Passenger Air Bag Off' Light Problem Request for Help