Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bushing replacement for rear wheel Knuckle's?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 10:29 AM
jmelc2s
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bushing replacement for rear wheel Knuckle's?

In replacing the rear upper control arms I found that the bushing circled in red here is beginning to show signs of needing replacement and I would love to do the work while I am already doing rear suspension pieces. Of course, Porsche states I have to buy the whole knuckle, and yes, I borrowed this picture off an earlier thread related to this topic, but this showcases the thought much better than my photo skills could have.

That said, the earlier threads i could find did not state if there was a solution, I have tried Elephant racing and Patrick Motorsports (who is still also looking into this), but I was hopeful that someone on here has done this bushing repair and could offer some advice, I would really hate to give another $1k in parts if I did not have too.

thank you!

Old 04-11-2018, 12:38 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,536 Likes on 925 Posts

I have a buddy who has a 928 and older 911, he uses Vertex Auto who, so he said, presses in new bushings and collars. Give them a try. Personally, I replace arms with TRW parts from Pelican.. but that is just me.

I have never used Vertex, so this is hearsay... https://www.vertexauto.com/

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 04-11-2018, 01:10 PM
jmelc2s
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the insight. I have the control arms in hand but before installing them I wanted to see if this bushing in question, the one attached to the Knuckle itself was something where i could replace that singular bushing or if i needed to purchase the entire new knuckle.
Old 04-11-2018, 01:27 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,536 Likes on 925 Posts

Originally Posted by jmelc2s
Thank you for the insight. I have the control arms in hand but before installing them I wanted to see if this bushing in question, the one attached to the Knuckle itself was something where i could replace that singular bushing or if i needed to purchase the entire new knuckle.
If you find a source for these bushings, let us all know. Control arm bushings require (typically) special tools to press them in.... they don;t slip on like a washer or grommet.

I asked my indy many years ago why I or he couldn't just replace the bushings..... he said something like "no one does that".... not really an answer. Then he pointed to the side and there was a stack of removed Porsche, Audi, and Mercedes control arms about two feet high.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 04-11-2018, 10:16 PM
sober_owl
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

most mechanics get paid flat rate..it takes a press and more time to replace a bushing vs the control arm...
Old 04-13-2018, 07:22 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 124 Posts

Ohhh when I come up on this with my car I will have to make some bushings on my lathe. That would be fun. I am always looking for things to do on my vehicles.

Quick Reply: Bushing replacement for rear wheel Knuckle's?