Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What the *&$#@# Happened to My 911 While in Winter Storage?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2018, 06:51 PM
North Shore 911
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 206 Posts
Default What the *&$#@# Happened to My 911 While in Winter Storage?

Sorry for the long rant here, but here it goes ……….. So here I am, feeling pretty smug thinking that my 2010 4S Cab is safely tucked away for the nasty Chicago winter, where it is (theoretically) safe from harm and protected for the elements. I was especially proud of myself for organizing permanent winter storage this year because I just had my whole front end resprayed and Expel film installed in June, with a full paint correction on the rest of the car. So having put the car into storage in November in literally perfect cosmetic condition, imagine my HORROR when I went to pick up my car 2 weeks ago as I walk into the garage and see this abomination:

As you can imagine, I was pretty p*ssed off to see this, so I immediately marched upstairs to the management office of the building to let them know that my car was covered in what I can only describe as a “cementy, salty, limey crust”.The manager of the parking facility (this is a 3-year old residential building with lots of seasonal parkers with high-end cars in their heated, secured facility) walked downstairs with me to see the damage, and she was appropriately apologetic for what had happened.Needless to say, I took a zillion pictures and a detailed video of the damage to my car, including showing the seam in the ceiling where this seepage came from, and the resulting impact on my car. The next step was to get her boss involved as I needed 100% assurance that they were gonna pay whatever it took to get this fixed.

Long story longer: They first said that they would clean it using the car washing guy that operates in their garage - but I said absolutely NO WAY, insisting instead that I would choose the shop to fix it myself (Ivan Rajic from LUSTR Detail who did the paint correction last summer).After I got a quote for the paintwork from Ivan (including a broad estimate on potentially removing and replacing the Xpel film in case it couldn’t be cleaned and if it needed to be removed and replaced), they said I would have to claim it on my insurance!I again said NO WAY, as this was 100% their fault as my car sat in their new, heated, secured parking facility. Then they said that they would pay my deductible, but I would have to claim it on my insurance.I again said NO WAY, as there was absolutely no way that I was going to let their negligence impact my insurance rates with a claim that is 100% on them (with 3 boys under 20 and 5 cars between us, that was gonna hurt).Then they told me to go ahead and get the work done to see what the final bill was, after which they would figure out their response.In the end, the total work came in towards the lower end of the estimate range as all of the paintwork cleaned up perfectly and only the hood piece of the Xpel film needed to be removed and replaced. Ivan did an AMAZING job, and here is my car when I picked it up yesterday after 4 full days of paint correction and film clean up:

I just sent them the final bill for the work. So while I now have a cosmetically perfect car again, I’m now in the uncomfortable position of not knowing exactly how the building owner/facilities management company will make me good on the repair cost. After securing 2 different spots for my cars, I’ve offered to simply take a credit on my account for the 2 spaces that I rent (for the 2010 4S Cab and the 1968 911L), or they can cut me a check. Yesterday they gave me all the right signals that they’ll cover it, but I don’t have that in writing (yet). Any suggestions from you guys on how I may be able to push these guys if they balk at covering the cost of this would be appreciated as I hope for the best but prepare for the worst.

The irony of the whole thing is the fact that I actually bought a brand new Porsche OEM cover back in September to use while I left my 4S in storage, but of course I never even took it out of bag, not to mention put it on the car. In fact, it’s still sitting innocently in my basement, mocking me every time I walk past it…. Needless to say it will get a full winter’s use next winter!
Old 04-07-2018, 06:58 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Ivan is da man.

Did you store the car sans cover?

The work you did last fall probably saved you from further damage.
Old 04-07-2018, 07:21 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 349 Likes on 160 Posts

^^^ THE man.

My suggestion, if you have yet put anything in writing yet you need to. Get an email to them today. Also don’t post anything on the forum again until it’s settled.

this is a good question for the ‘off topic’ forum. Lots of ‘I’m a lawyer but not your lawyer this is not legal advice’ but still good advice.
Old 04-07-2018, 08:17 PM
Flat_Six_
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

Seepage issues are fairly common in high rise garages. I’m surprised they’re giving you a hard time.

I went ant through the same thing with my car. The garage covered it. As should yours.
Old 04-07-2018, 09:25 PM
Smitten
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

That's a mess, but only slightly worse than I would have anticipated after a winter in an underground without a cover.
Old 04-08-2018, 06:37 AM
KingPinLasVegas
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just curious, What was the total bill to get the car looking great again?
Old 04-08-2018, 09:33 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Originally Posted by KingPinLasVegas
Just curious, What was the total bill to get the car looking great again?
I'd say about $1,200 for the car, plus $200 for the cabriolet, and another $400 for the PPF on the hood. So $1,800-ish.
Old 04-08-2018, 09:54 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,735 Likes on 4,285 Posts

Wow, I can't imagine the horror of being excited to get your car out and seek g it in that shape. If the cover you have us not a waterproof outdoor version, it might have actually done more harm than good as that concrete seepage would have saturated it and probably bonded it to the car even possibly embedding the weave or any wrinkles in the cover into the paint or PPF if fully clearbra'd.

It looks beautiful again though and hopefully the garage will step up to do the right thing and cover the full cost.
Old 04-08-2018, 09:56 AM
North Shore 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LexVan
Ivan is da man.

Did you store the car sans cover?

The work you did last fall probably saved you from further damage.
Yup, Ivan did a phenomenal job ..... I think it was actually you and NW GTS who pointed me his way last Fall when I was looking for a guy to do the rear end paint correction to match my freshly resprayed front end, so this was the SECOND time in 9 months that he saved my 4S Needless to say, I'll be writing some very positive reviews and testimonials for him on FaceBook/Yelp/Google!
Old 04-08-2018, 10:00 AM
North Shore 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LexVan
I'd say about $1,200 for the car, plus $200 for the cabriolet, and another $400 for the PPF on the hood. So $1,800-ish.
That's a scary good estimate It was $2,000 all in between the paint correction and film cleaning/polishing, cleaning up the ragtop and replacing the hood film (fortunately all the other Xpel pieces on the front cleaned up really well)
Old 04-08-2018, 11:38 AM
justabout
Rennlist Member

Received 322 Likes on 236 Posts

My wife’s car was not so lucky as yours. In her case the dripping salty mixture contained a high concentration of iron oxide which damaged some of the roof paint and stained the sunroof glass reddish brown. Fortunately these were smaller areas but still it’s a mess.
Old 04-08-2018, 10:58 PM
EdwardB
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don’t know about you guys but unless I’m storing one of my Porsches at a professional storage facility, I go and have a look at least monthly just to make sure that everything is ok.

If there was any sort of drippage or anything else that could go wrong I take care of it right away.

Cant just drop it off and forget.
Old 04-08-2018, 11:43 PM
North Shore 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Petza914
Wow, I can't imagine the horror of being excited to get your car out and seek g it in that shape. If the cover you have us not a waterproof outdoor version, it might have actually done more harm than good as that concrete seepage would have saturated it and probably bonded it to the car even possibly embedding the weave or any wrinkles in the cover into the paint or PPF if fully clearbra'd.
Yeah, I’m starting to wonder the same about the cover I bought ... This is the OEM “Premium Indoor Cover” I bought on Suncoast: https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/997GEN2IC.html

I never thought I’d need an outdoor cover for indoor storage .... Do you guys know if this will keep any moisture/seepage that may drip on top of it off the paint?
Old 04-09-2018, 02:34 AM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 349 Likes on 160 Posts

it will not. in fact, its not even that great an indoor cover for parking garages.
i know because I have the exact same cover (fit for a wing) that i've used the past two years and while the cover stops most of the big stuff I STILL get the very very fine dust that's in parking garages on my car. I took the cover off it a couple weeks ago and sure enough, tons of the fine dust on it.
probably a good cover in someone's private, attached/detached garage but not for public. Next year I'm covering it in this cover again, AND also tossing one of these over it.
Amazon Amazon

Old 04-09-2018, 03:12 AM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I keep my Gulfstream in a hangar when its not in the air but even then, after a good wind storm the top of the wings and fuselage get a good coating of dust requiring a $1K wash.. Point being I recommend a pure cotton cover and then the silver Porsche car cover while in a covered garage. It will protect from leaking pipes, birds pooping etc while the cheepo all cotton cover will protect the paint.

PS. the all cotton cover can be a Cal King top sheet bought on the cheap.

Quick Reply: What the *&$#@# Happened to My 911 While in Winter Storage?