Sponsored by:

A few quick mods - rear seat delete, color caps, LEDs

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 06:14 PM
jimf15e
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A few quick mods - rear seat delete, color caps, LEDs

I took care of a few mods I’ve been meaning to do since I got my new-to-me 997.2 C4S Cab. I’m really happy with everything and just finished a great little drive this afternoon (left work a bit early! Finally a nice day today, I didn’t drive the car all week - 70 and sunny here just outside DC.

1. Color wheel caps. I posted about this a little while ago, wasn’t sure I wanted to do it but I really like them against the dark Turbo II wheels and GT silver. I bought genuine ones from Suncoas. I used a couple of small hex keys to pull the old ones, new ones popped right in. Pointed towards the valve stems of course! I tried the wire hanger trick but it kept bending, the old ones were in good and tight (sts).

2. Interior LED light set from Suncoast. These were relatively easy to install. The bulbs inside the LED assemblies that were shipped by Suncoast came loose in the housing. I had to pry off the metal case, crimp the contacts, and replace. Then they worked fine (thank you Rennlist search tool). The only tricky ones to install were the dome/map lights. The crappy installation .pdf doesn’t explain that to get the old map light bulbs out you need to remove the whole assembly, not just the lens cover. I did the latter but then had to go back and remove the whole assembly, paranoid the whole time that I’d bust a clip. Once you drop the assembly it’s a piece of cake. I found a YouTube video from USP Motorsport that walks you through it. Be gentle and use a trim tool. The rest of the lights were easy.

3. Rear seat delete. I wanted to remove the seat backs to give more room for my son while he’s in his booster seat. I bought the Porsche Junior Plus G2/G3 seat. Followed the DIY on Rennlist, also extremely easy. Definitely use a ratchet or cheater wrench as those bolts are in tight! Since I’m not removing the seatbelt I’m just going to secure the center cap in place to cover up that bolt hole vs buying the seat removal hardware for $250-500. Removing the seat back but leaving the bottoms in gives him more legroom, lets the seat recline a bit, but elevates it enough that he’s not in a black hole.

This is all in addition to my clear side marker lights, Black Carrera 4S badge, hard wired ProClip iPhone charger, Bovee BT streaming device, and Ultimate Cupholder. I hope these tips tips help someone out there, I sure used a lot of the community’s help over the last few months/years! I’ll add a picture or two later.

Jim
Old 04-07-2018, 12:20 PM
rjshar
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need to post some pictures, before and after!
Old 04-07-2018, 02:47 PM
jimf15e
Rennlist Member

Pictures added, sorry for the delay! I don't really have decent before shots other than some photos from my "New to me" post Here .

Black badge:

Rear seatbacks removed with Porsche Junior Plus seat installed:

ProClip iPhone holder installed. More details on the hardwire - I bought a 2.1 amp charger with fused 12v connections from Amazon, installed it behind the fuse box using an Add-A-Circuit. 2m Lightening cable runs behind dash and under carpet behind the pedals.

New color center caps:

The interior LEDs don't show up well in photos, but they look great in my opinion.

Jim

Last edited by jimf15e; 04-07-2018 at 03:13 PM.
Old 04-07-2018, 05:36 PM
shekmark
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jimf15e
I took care of a few mods I’ve been meaning to do since I got my new-to-me 997.2 C4S Cab. I’m really happy with everything and just finished a great little drive this afternoon (left work a bit early! Finally a nice day today, I didn’t drive the car all week - 70 and sunny here just outside DC.

1. Color wheel caps. I posted about this a little while ago, wasn’t sure I wanted to do it but I really like them against the dark Turbo II wheels and GT silver. I bought genuine ones from Suncoas. I used a couple of small hex keys to pull the old ones, new ones popped right in. Pointed towards the valve stems of course! I tried the wire hanger trick but it kept bending, the old ones were in good and tight (sts).

2. Interior LED light set from Suncoast. These were relatively easy to install. The bulbs inside the LED assemblies that were shipped by Suncoast came loose in the housing. I had to pry off the metal case, crimp the contacts, and replace. Then they worked fine (thank you Rennlist search tool). The only tricky ones to install were the dome/map lights. The crappy installation .pdf doesn’t explain that to get the old map light bulbs out you need to remove the whole assembly, not just the lens cover. I did the latter but then had to go back and remove the whole assembly, paranoid the whole time that I’d bust a clip. Once you drop the assembly it’s a piece of cake. I found a YouTube video from USP Motorsport that walks you through it. Be gentle and use a trim tool. The rest of the lights were easy.

3. Rear seat delete. I wanted to remove the seat backs to give more room for my son while he’s in his booster seat. I bought the Porsche Junior Plus G2/G3 seat. Followed the DIY on Rennlist, also extremely easy. Definitely use a ratchet or cheater wrench as those bolts are in tight! Since I’m not removing the seatbelt I’m just going to secure the center cap in place to cover up that bolt hole vs buying the seat removal hardware for $250-500. Removing the seat back but leaving the bottoms in gives him more legroom, lets the seat recline a bit, but elevates it enough that he’s not in a black hole.

This is all in addition to my clear side marker lights, Black Carrera 4S badge, hard wired ProClip iPhone charger, Bovee BT streaming device, and Ultimate Cupholder. I hope these tips tips help someone out there, I sure used a lot of the community’s help over the last few months/years! I’ll add a picture or two later.

Jim
That rear seat delete is interesting. No little kids anymore , my daughter is 24. She sat in the back and we didn't realize that in the cabriolets, the seat back is tilted forward to allow room for the top to retract. Point being, she was very cramped. With the seat back out, and the seatbelt still in, it looks like more room.
Also...what color center cap is it called? I have those same rims for my winter tires and the center cap color is wrong. Thanks
Old 04-07-2018, 06:10 PM
jimf15e
Rennlist Member

I bought the caps from Suncoast, they're OEM and yes, you need get ones specific for the wheel color - in this case titanium for the Turbo II wheels. Here's the link:

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKUCXCCSTH.html

For the seats, yes removing the back gives about 2-3" more room to either recline the booster seat a little more or push the base back into the wall for more legroom. I left the bottoms in place to give a little elevation since it doesn't affect the seat figment. The vertical wall certainly makes it a little more cramped back there!
Old 04-07-2018, 06:17 PM
shekmark
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks!

Quick Reply: A few quick mods - rear seat delete, color caps, LEDs