Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Moving to East Bay - Indy Recommendation?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 02:50 PM
jglaze
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Moving to East Bay - Indy Recommendation?

Hello out there - I am T-10 days until my family makes its triumphant return to Alameda, CA. Enough with these New England winters!

When I was last living in the Bay Area, I was still an e30 guy and had a great shop in Berkeley, but now I am looking for recommendations for a reliable independent shop to take care of the 997.

I look forward to year-round driving/tracking and meeting up with some of y'all as well. Thanks!
Old 04-04-2018, 03:54 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 774 Likes on 441 Posts

It might be a little far but I had a really good experience with Darrin at FD Motorsport. He is a cool guy with a small indie shop that has some high quality specialty items and he can do work on both air cooled and water cooled porsches. I like that his shop has a small family vibe to it. It is a little far in Brentwood but I felt it was worth the drive from LA, so dropping down from the East Bay shouldn't be too rough. I have been into cars since 1992 but I only recently got a Porsche. However, whatever kind of car I have, I try to seek out smaller independent family run shops that specialize in one brand. Darrin is definitely that kind of mechanic running that kind of shop.

https://fdmotorsports.net/
Old 04-04-2018, 05:10 PM
gasongasoff
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by jamesinger
It might be a little far but I had a really good experience with Darrin at FD Motorsport. He is a cool guy with a small indie shop that has some high quality specialty items and he can do work on both air cooled and water cooled porsches. I like that his shop has a small family vibe to it. It is a little far in Brentwood but I felt it was worth the drive from LA, so dropping down from the East Bay shouldn't be too rough. I have been into cars since 1992 but I only recently got a Porsche. However, whatever kind of car I have, I try to seek out smaller independent family run shops that specialize in one brand. Darrin is definitely that kind of mechanic running that kind of shop.

https://fdmotorsports.net/
+1 for Darin, although Alameda to Brentwood is a quite a ways out
Old 04-04-2018, 05:43 PM
mfonseca
Instructor

Received 76 Likes on 39 Posts

Did you just have your car detailed at Unique Car Care?
Old 04-04-2018, 11:14 PM
MagnusB
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Pacific Power Motorsports in Walnut Creek.
Old 04-05-2018, 01:09 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by MagnusB
Pacific Power Motorsports in Walnut Creek.

+1

Eric is a great guy. He's been working on my car for years.
Old 04-05-2018, 02:03 AM
SF911TT
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 11 Posts

+1 for Pacific Power.
Old 04-05-2018, 02:12 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

And let us know when you get here.
Old 04-05-2018, 05:12 AM
swoardrider
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Sharkworks
Elephant Racing
BR Racing
Jerry Wood Enterprises
Canepa Motorsports
Suspension Performance

and a million other shops in the Bay Area that specialize in Porsches. Really depends on what kind of service you are looking for. Suspension, mechanical, body, alignment, detailing. Everything shop has its pluses and minuses. Most competent shops can do the basics on a 997 nowadays. They are not rocket science like a an air cooled widow maker was back in the day. . It's when you get into the black art of suspension tuning, alignment, ECU tuning, restoration, that certain shops shine over others. What exactly is the criteria you are looking for?
Old 04-05-2018, 12:00 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 449 Likes on 163 Posts

Welcome. If you want to make a trip across the Richmond bridge S-Car-Go is an excellent shop in San Rafael. Reasonable pricing, great mechanics, and the shop is a man'cave.

Joe Ramos has a post on the RL West Region forum for Bay Area owners. He organizes drives regionally so add your name to it to get on the list.
Old 04-19-2018, 02:47 PM
jglaze
Racer

Thanks for all the tips, I'll be sure to check them out and will register on the drives page. I got here last weekend and have been tooling around in the wife's new Chevy Bolt until my cars get here...I'm getting a little antsy to say the least! Should be here in plenty of time for first of the month C&C and (new) EASY meetup in Emeryville.

That was me at Unique in Andover...those guys are fantastic. While we're on the topic, any recommendations for detailers?
Old 04-19-2018, 03:33 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Should be here in plenty of time for first of the month C&C and (new) EASY meetup in Emeryville.
Do you have any specifics on this? I was just discussing with some friends but didnt know they had dates/location lined up yet.
Old 04-19-2018, 04:16 PM
jglaze
Racer

Originally Posted by TheBruce
Do you have any specifics on this? I was just discussing with some friends but didnt know they had dates/location lined up yet.
My understanding is that the new owners are going to carry forward the first Saturday tradition. Seems like their facebook page is the best place for updates, though I suspect there will be a curious group that will show up in front of the shop in a few weeks just to see what happens.
Old 04-19-2018, 11:33 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Yea I just looked on their FB page and they say they are continuing first Saturday of every month, so thats great.

Look forward to meeting you when your ride arrives. There are a few 997s over in Marin that are always looking for an excuse to get out and drive. Send me a PM and will add you to the email list.
Old 04-20-2018, 02:24 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

What part of the East Bay are you in? I'm in the Orinda / Lafayette area.
I'll give you some drive ideas.

Quick Reply: Moving to East Bay - Indy Recommendation?