Sponsored by:

Ozone generator

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 05:17 PM
GPGolden
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BIG smoke
Check under your seats for discarded stuff? Maybe an apple?
Are the carpets wet? No mention of cab or coupe.
Sunroof drains clear? Drains in front of windshield clear, any standing water in there.
Have you changed your cabin filter out. Makes a huge difference with my Subaru and X5 !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEjVKjZo8Ng
Thanks BIG smoke. It is a coupe. I will check the things you mention.
Old 04-04-2018, 05:30 PM
GPGolden
Advanced

Originally Posted by ADias
Do not use an ozone generator. Ozone is not healthy to breathe - extremely oxidant. Your issue is probably mold in your AC plumbing. Remove the cabin filter, spray some Lysol in there and run the heater at maximum for 20 minutes. Done!
But the internet says they are good!
Old 04-04-2018, 05:35 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 358 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by GPGolden
It does not smell like mold/mildew. It is not a real smokey smell either. It would be a bummer if it is the vinyl. I test drove a full leather 2010 and it smelled awesome...with way more miles than mine.
What you describe seems similar to what I'm describing. I forgot to add, the suede headliner in combination with the other fabrics inside the car also add to that distinctive smell. Leather does overpower the smell of a car.
Old 04-04-2018, 05:38 PM
GPGolden
Advanced

Originally Posted by DesmoSD
What you describe seems similar to what I'm describing. I forgot to add, the suede headliner in combination with the other fabrics inside the car also add to that distinctive smell. Leather does overpower the smell of a car.
Then I have to hope my family gets used to it!
Old 04-04-2018, 08:39 PM
jfort
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts
Default I’ve used one

i used a friends O-Zone generator on an old Mercedes one time. Left it in overnight. It removed all smells from the car. Made it sterile. I borrowed it again when a cat pissed on my wife’s boots. It worked on that too. I’m a believer
Old 04-04-2018, 10:55 PM
Qwksnke
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
Do not use an ozone generator. Ozone is not healthy to breathe - extremely oxidant. Your issue is probably mold in your AC plumbing. Remove the cabin filter, spray some Lysol in there and run the heater at maximum for 20 minutes. Done!
Pretty sure he wasn't going to be in the car breathing while the machine is going. Thats the only time it is unhealthy
Old 04-05-2018, 12:01 AM
LSDan
6th Gear

I've used a detailer with an ozone generator and it worked. In fact it worked really well. They tent the car and let it sit overnight. All odors gone.
Old 04-05-2018, 12:36 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Qwksnke
Pretty sure he wasn't going to be in the car breathing while the machine is going. Thats the only time it is unhealthy
Good point! I was under the assumption that it was an ozone gadget that would be on while driving.
Old 04-05-2018, 12:48 AM
rwdds
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 38 Posts

Ozone is an extremely reactive substance and can be thought of as super-oxygen. Although not approved by the FDA, it is being used in health-care clinical test facilities to destroy bacteria, spores and viruses when standard treatments fail. It essentially kills bacteria on contact and can be applied internally to the human body in measured and controlled amounts.

I'm going to hook it up to my wife's CPAP, just for fun.
Old 04-05-2018, 08:13 AM
ronvanr
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by rwdds
Ozone is an extremely reactive substance and can be thought of as super-oxygen. Although not approved by the FDA, it is being used in health-care clinical test facilities to destroy bacteria, spores and viruses when standard treatments fail. It essentially kills bacteria on contact and can be applied internally to the human body in measured and controlled amounts.

I'm going to hook it up to my wife's CPAP, just for fun.
Hopefully when she is not sleeping!
Old 04-05-2018, 08:55 AM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Ozone is what cuts the life of rubber products short. It is the biggest issue for aging tires, as an example. The two things I would check are to ensure that the A/C recycle button is never on and that the cabin filter is clean. When I purchased my 2008 C2S, I had the first oil change done at 2.5K miles and the service technician reported that there was a mouse nest in the cabin filter. I, of course, had it replaced. The car was sitting on the dealer lot for while when new.
Old 04-05-2018, 02:22 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 465 Likes on 166 Posts

My Land Rover smelled like wet dog every time the AC would blow. I replaced the cabin air filter and that cleared it up immediately.
Old 04-05-2018, 05:50 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I've had several cars where there was an unpleasant odor which I got rid of by removing the cabin filter and spraying Febreeze into the empty box while running the fan on high. Then installed a new filter.
Old 08-27-2019, 08:27 PM
TheTorch
Rennlist Member

Received 398 Likes on 275 Posts

i am curious how this turned out. did you try the ozone treatment? did it work? thx
Old 08-30-2019, 02:57 AM
rbaye1123
Cruisin'

Default i used ozone generator on my 958

ozone smell will linger for about 6 months. other smell will come back. mine had some really bad carpeting problem as well as ac internals. i am getting my carpet (whish i bought used on ebay for 179) dealer wanted 900 for a brand new one, i haven;t gotten it installed but it is gonna be expensive for sure..

Quick Reply: Ozone generator