Sponsored by:

Ozone generator

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 02:27 PM
GPGolden
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ozone generator

Hello - I am 24 hours in to my 2010 997.2 (28k miles) and the smell inside is quite unpleasant. Wife and kids are turned off by it. I did not notice it during test drive (or ignored it thinking it was not that bad). I have spent an hour searching rennlist. I see mention of ozone generators (renting or buying). Most of the threads seem incomplete meaning they left me hanging on the verdict. And most of the threads seem to be quite old.

Has anyone used an ozone generator (after an interior detailing of course)?
Old 04-04-2018, 02:30 PM
bronz
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 60 Posts

what kind of odor is it? cigarettes, natural leather or something else?
Old 04-04-2018, 02:38 PM
GPGolden
Advanced

Originally Posted by bronz
what kind of odor is it? cigarettes, natural leather or something else?
Great question. Hard to tell. It is an odd smell and I really cannot tell what it is. I have put my nose close to the seats and it is not that. I put my nose close to the dash...and it smells a little funky (Kia grade vinyl it seems) . I can almost detect smoke, but it is very faint and I may be paranoid. I know I should give it a few days to see what cleansers the dealer may have applied wear off.

My complaint and (and my wife's) is that my 5 year older Audi S4 smelled like a new car still. So it was a shock to us to have a newer, "nicer" car smell bad. With 60k less miles.
Old 04-04-2018, 02:40 PM
rwdds
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 37 Posts

I actually have had great success removing cigarette smoke, body odor, etc from several used vehicles, including my 2008 C2S. I chose to use a reputable detailer who owns one of the generators to perform the service rather than to buy one. It needs to be actively pumping ozone for a couple of hours to permeate the carpeting and headliner, where these odor molecules become imbedded. If it is an intense odor, it may take more than one session. Ozone treatments do work!
Old 04-04-2018, 02:42 PM
Linnm
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Might be the A/C system internals
Old 04-04-2018, 02:43 PM
GPGolden
Advanced

Originally Posted by rwdds
I actually have had great success removing cigarette smoke, body odor, etc from several used vehicles, including my 2008 C2S. I chose to use a reputable detailer who owns one of the generators to perform the service rather than to buy one. It needs to be actively pumping ozone for a couple of hours to permeate the carpeting and headliner, where these odor molecules become imbedded. If it is an intense odor, it may take more than one session. Ozone treatments do work!
Thank you rwdds. I did reach out to a local detailer who seem to claim they handle high-end cars on their website. I asked if they have an ozone machine. I will see what they say.
Old 04-04-2018, 03:28 PM
larrysb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

Used car dealers routinely use all kinds of "deodorizers" on cars, whether they need it or not. Also, they frequently drop air fresheners under the seats. My 911 was no exception. I felt around and hunted under the seats and found 4 "new leather" scent freshener strips hiding under the seats. Fortunately, they hadn't been there long.

I have another car I bought one-year used and not only had it been sprayed heavily with ozium, there was a handful of the fresheners all over the place. It was a former rental car, and they are pretty notorious for simply hosing them down with air freshener spray before turning them back out.

I'd suggest a thorough search through the cabin, especially under the seats and every nook and cranny, then clean and vacuum it out.
Old 04-04-2018, 03:34 PM
GPGolden
Advanced

Thank you larrysb
Old 04-04-2018, 04:11 PM
wc11
Race Car

Received 154 Likes on 99 Posts

Is there a dead something in the cabin filter?
Old 04-04-2018, 04:37 PM
GPGolden
Advanced

Originally Posted by wc11
Is there a dead something in the cabin filter?
The seller and the PPI shop said it was new...
Old 04-04-2018, 04:39 PM
Presto
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 37 Posts

Inspect/replace cabin air filter. Easy diy with the right torx
Old 04-04-2018, 04:41 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 143 Likes on 112 Posts

Check under your seats for discarded stuff? Maybe an apple?
Are the carpets wet? No mention of cab or coupe.
Sunroof drains clear? Drains in front of windshield clear, any standing water in there.
Have you changed your cabin filter out. Makes a huge difference with my Subaru and X5 !

Old 04-04-2018, 05:03 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 393 Likes on 269 Posts

Do not use an ozone generator. Ozone is not healthy to breathe - extremely oxidant. Your issue is probably mold in your AC plumbing. Remove the cabin filter, spray some Lysol in there and run the heater at maximum for 20 minutes. Done!
The following users liked this post:
anewman (02-21-2021)
Old 04-04-2018, 05:12 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 355 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by GPGolden
Great question. Hard to tell. It is an odd smell and I really cannot tell what it is. I have put my nose close to the seats and it is not that. I put my nose close to the dash...and it smells a little funky (Kia grade vinyl it seems) . I can almost detect smoke, but it is very faint and I may be paranoid. I know I should give it a few days to see what cleansers the dealer may have applied wear off.

My complaint and (and my wife's) is that my 5 year older Audi S4 smelled like a new car still. So it was a shock to us to have a newer, "nicer" car smell bad. With 60k less miles.
When I was shopping around for 911's, I've noticed all of them have a very distinctive interior smell. It's not bad smell but more of a sweet smell that's probably a combination of leather, vinyl, adhesives. Could this be what you're describing?

For the record, it's not mold that' you're smelling, right? lol
Old 04-04-2018, 05:16 PM
GPGolden
Advanced

Originally Posted by DesmoSD
When I was shopping around for 911's, I've noticed all of them have a very distinctive interior smell. It's not bad smell but more of a sweet smell that's probably a combination of leather, vinyl, adhesives. Could this be what you're describing?

For the record, it's not mold that' you're smelling, right? lol
It does not smell like mold/mildew. It is not a real smokey smell either. It would be a bummer if it is the vinyl. I test drove a full leather 2010 and it smelled awesome...with way more miles than mine.

Quick Reply: Ozone generator