Sponsored by:

997.2 GTS H&R Springs and GT3/GT3RS Wheels Installed

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2018, 03:08 PM
blakecam
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts
Default 997.2 GTS H&R Springs and GT3/GT3RS Wheels Installed

Just had new GT3 (front)/GT3RS (rear) wheels installed with H&R Sport springs on my 2012 997.2 GTS with regular PASM. The wheels are mounted with Michelin PS4S 245/35-19 tires in front and 325/30-19 rear. I love the new set up as the stance is much better than stock (my opinion) and the GT3/GT3RS wheels give the car an entirely different look. Wheels are freshly painted in Porsche OEM Meteor Gray. The car is GTS Silver.

I was afraid that the H&R springs would be too low and ride too harshly, as some others have said in previous posts. However, I can say that the ride on the highway superb and I don't feel much if any difference in harshness compared to the OEM springs.
Here are some before and after pics to give those considering H&Rs an idea of the difference between PASM height and lowered height. By the way, I purchased the wheels/tires from fellow Rennlister MJTSUB who is a great guy. Thanks, Mike!

Old 03-25-2018, 03:20 PM
MJTSUB
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks awesome Jim!!!
Old 03-25-2018, 03:49 PM
powahousealex
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

question , i have a set a h&r springs i have yet to install due to all the bad feedback some have, could you in detail explain the main difference in driving characteristics ? thanks
Old 03-25-2018, 05:04 PM
Clubber
Racer

Received 476 Likes on 101 Posts

Looks great
Old 03-25-2018, 08:43 PM
blakecam
Pro

Thanks guys,

Originally Posted by powahousealex
question , i have a set a h&r springs i have yet to install due to all the bad feedback some have, could you in detail explain the main difference in driving characteristics ? thanks
I also had some hesitation about going with H&R because of previous comments by a few posters, but most guys that have them will say that the negative comments are overblown. My first impression is that there is very little difference in ride quality, if any. The car definitely feels more planted (in the little bit of driving I've done). I'm not sure how different they would feel on non-GTS cars, but I would think that any 997.2 PASM car would be similar. However, I just had them installed on Friday, so haven't spent much time with them. Based on the other current thread about Eibach vs Techart vs H&R, I think the majority of H&R owners like the ride, handling, and looks. You have to ask yourself what you really want in a set of springs. Everyone's opinions will be different. If you already own the H&R, why not go for it and install them? If you absolutely hate them, you can always go back to OEM or change to a different spring. Good luck with your decision.
Old 03-26-2018, 02:31 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,019 Likes on 725 Posts

Originally Posted by blakecam
Thanks guys,

I also had some hesitation about going with H&R because of previous comments by a few posters, but most guys that have them will say that the negative comments are overblown. My first impression is that there is very little difference in ride quality, if any. The car definitely feels more planted (in the little bit of driving I've done). I'm not sure how different they would feel on non-GTS cars, but I would think that any 997.2 PASM car would be similar. However, I just had them installed on Friday, so haven't spent much time with them. Based on the other current thread about Eibach vs Techart vs H&R, I think the majority of H&R owners like the ride, handling, and looks. You have to ask yourself what you really want in a set of springs. Everyone's opinions will be different. If you already own the H&R, why not go for it and install them? If you absolutely hate them, you can always go back to OEM or change to a different spring. Good luck with your decision.
Way overblown imo. I've had stock springs, Eibach,Techart and H&R on three different 997's and I'll be damned if I can tell the difference in ride quality or comfort between any of those setups. The 997 wasn't built with comfort as the number one priority to begin with so those who describe the ride quality as "unbearable" after mounting after market springs may make reference to emotional rather than physical feedback. Oh....and the GT3 wheels look amazing. Really nice transformation.
Old 03-26-2018, 02:39 AM
MJTSUB
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agreed! I have the H&R springs on my GTS and I actually think the rear rides better as the H&R rear spring changes from a linear spring (oem) to a progressive spring (h&r). So far I have only logged a couple hundred miles but the ride quality is fantastic and turn in response is more precise than the OEM springs.
Old 03-26-2018, 04:09 AM
swoardrider
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Car looks great! Did you get the 19x8.5" et53 front wheels, or the 19x9" et47?
Old 03-26-2018, 08:49 AM
Tyztoy
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks Great... Love the setup!
Old 03-26-2018, 10:13 AM
GTS Sully
Pro

Received 152 Likes on 87 Posts

Agree that the new setup looks great, and with others in stating the H&R springs ride just fine. I can't tell a difference at all after going to H&R.
Old 03-26-2018, 01:36 PM
blakecam
Pro

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Way overblown imo. I've had stock springs, Eibach,Techart and H&R on three different 997's and I'll be damned if I can tell the difference in ride quality or comfort between any of those setups. The 997 wasn't built with comfort as the number one priority to begin with so those who describe the ride quality as "unbearable" after mounting after market springs may make reference to emotional rather than physical feedback. Oh....and the GT3 wheels look amazing. Really nice transformation.
I have been admiring your car in these forums for the past few years, and your past posts about your H&R springs helped make my decision. Your car looks amazing and has always been one of my favorites.

Originally Posted by MJTSUB
Agreed! I have the H&R springs on my GTS and I actually think the rear rides better as the H&R rear spring changes from a linear spring (oem) to a progressive spring (h&r). So far I have only logged a couple hundred miles but the ride quality is fantastic and turn in response is more precise than the OEM springs.
Your car is also amazing. Thanks for all the advice you've given. It's been great having you as a friend!
Old 03-26-2018, 01:41 PM
blakecam
Pro

Originally Posted by swoardrider
Thanks! I have standard GT3 19x8.5 in the front and GT3RS in the rear. The 8.5 front wheels fit the wheel wells better on our cars, while the GT3 RS wheels are needed for the widebody rear. I understand that the 9" GT3 RS front wheels will cause a rubbing issue on the GTS, so most GTS owners are going with the set up I have. Thanks to fellow Rennlister MJTSUB for providing me with this info when I purchased his wheels.

Originally Posted by GTS Sully
Agree that the new setup looks great, and with others in stating the H&R springs ride just fine. I can't tell a difference at all after going to H&R.
Thanks! I think we have a consensus on the H&R opinion from GTS owners. The negative comments about H&R are way overblown.
Old 04-21-2018, 12:17 PM
Dymag
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The car looks great ! The spring/drop is spot on. I really like the wheel choice and tire sizes; great look.

Question for Blakecam, and anyone else upsizing tires to 245/35 and 325/30; do you feel/experience any noticeable drop in acceleration, off the line due to the larger diameter tires ?

Thanks you for input
Old 04-21-2018, 01:15 PM
neilattack
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks perfect!

I just recently installed H&R springs on my 997.2 and although the ride in general is not much different from stock, I’ll feel a solid thud in the rear over bumps, particularly in slower speeds. Is this normal?

Last edited by neilattack; 04-21-2018 at 01:56 PM.
Old 04-21-2018, 01:57 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 207 Likes on 141 Posts

Car looks great, the extra rubber definitely helps.

Originally Posted by swoardrider
Originally Posted by blakecam
Thanks! I have standard GT3 19x8.5 in the front and GT3RS in the rear. The 8.5 front wheels fit the wheel wells better on our cars, while the GT3 RS wheels are needed for the widebody rear. I understand that the 9" GT3 RS front wheels will cause a rubbing issue on the GTS, so most GTS owners are going with the set up I have.

I've had two sets of centerlocks in 19x9 +47 (front) on my car and each fits like a glove with no rubbing.

Originally Posted by Dymag
Question for Blakecam, and anyone else upsizing tires to 245/35 and 325/30; do you feel/experience any noticeable drop in acceleration, off the line due to the larger diameter tires ?

Thanks you for input

I'm running those tire sizes for the last 2 years.. no noticeable change in acceleration when I moved up to this size. However when I changed up to this tire size I also went with a lighter wheel. Right now the Superforgiata on the car are significantly lighter than the OE wheels.

When I changed the sizes initially I got lighter wheels which were wider in the first place + pushed further out due to offset. The end result is a car that feels noticeably more stable and has more grip due to the added amount of rubber. If you're going to get new wheels/tires.. going with something a good bit lighter is a good mod.

Last edited by Fined; 04-21-2018 at 02:19 PM.

Quick Reply: 997.2 GTS H&R Springs and GT3/GT3RS Wheels Installed