Car Issue After an Automated Car Wash

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 10:11 PM
Mzsaad
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Car Issue After an Automated Car Wash

Hey Friends,
I drive a 2006 997.1 4S. Today, I took my car out for a spin. Before returning home, I took my car to an automatic touchless car wash.
After I came out of the wash, I noticed that I had to press more gas than usual. On 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear, I would have to press more throttle than usual. During acceleration, it would feel like that fuel injectors were pushing gas as well as air inside the engine (I am not that technical but thats how it felt) and car's engine would sputter.
Check Engine Light and Visit Mechanic also showed up on dash.
Now, I have parked my car in garage and opened the engine bay (hoping problem would take care of itself if water has gotten to the engine). I noticed that engine was a bit wet when I opened it.
Anyone has similar experience and how did you fix it? Is this something to be worried about?
Old 03-19-2018, 10:17 PM
ajayabb
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Likely due to water intrusion in engine bay. Hopefully will correct it self once everything dries out Let it sit for 12 hrs and try restarting. Keep us posted
Old 03-19-2018, 10:24 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 355 Likes on 252 Posts

Was your spoiler deployed when you were in the car wash? Those touchless car washes have high pressure jets that like to conform to each car that's in the wash. With the right angle it can shoot water right into rear spoiler, possibly going directly into the air duct.
Old 03-19-2018, 10:59 PM
j beede
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I hope the engine was good and hot before you parked it. After it cools down you might consider opening the hood to enable more circulation. Like most owners, I hand wash my 997. Mine has been through the touchless a couple times over the years but no. I never had an experience like yours.
Old 03-19-2018, 11:18 PM
bmwfan328
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Last time coils were changed? Moisture and cracked coils do not mix.
Old 03-20-2018, 12:21 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by bmwfan328
+1. Had this happen.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:57 AM
JABowders
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

My 2005 997 does not like automatic car washes, for much of the same reasons, I noticed that the MAS air sensor on the air horn was just a bit... loose... and I had water being sucked into that messing with the air/fuel mixture. The car got all moody on me (new idea for personalized tag "MOODSWG") it threw a bunch of errors and would barely run, until it had a chance to dry out, to clear the SEL I just disconnected the battery for about 20 minutes as I reset and tightened the MAS sensor mount on the air horn. Car is happy and running better than ever now. But I am going to double check all the coil packs upcoming.

I don't have the stock rear spoiler
Old 03-20-2018, 10:54 AM
Mzsaad
Instructor

i never had the coils and spark plugs replaced. don't think the previous owner got it done either. i will start looking into it.
thanks for the information.
Old 03-20-2018, 11:54 AM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bmwfan328
Exactly. Let it dry out, and I bet all will be good. If you have a decent OBD reader/clearer, it will spit out a coil code.

Had this happen once a few months ago after an enthusiastic hose wash. Freaked out, got my scanner, got the code reset the service engine light and called my Porsche mechanic buddy. He said to pop the lid and let the sun do its thing. Next day all was good in the world. At least now I know its time to do the coils.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:15 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,171 Likes on 3,935 Posts

New owner lesson learned - keep them out of the automatic car washes. Aside from issues like this, the wheel transport tracks aren't wide enough for the rear tires and will curb the crap out of your rims, both on the inside lip and outside lip.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:47 PM
Smitten
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
New owner lesson learned - keep them out of the automatic car washes. Aside from issues like this, the wheel transport tracks aren't wide enough for the rear tires and will curb the crap out of your rims, both on the inside lip and outside lip.
Most touchless washes I've seen have no tracks. You drive in, park, the jets are on arms that circulate around the car, you drive out. Still not the way to go for the 911, but not nearly as bad as the old ones that dragged you through.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:27 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 355 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
Originally Posted by Smitten
Most touchless washes I've seen have no tracks. You drive in, park, the jets are on arms that circulate around the car, you drive out. Still not the way to go for the 911, but not nearly as bad as the old ones that dragged you through.
A few days after I bought my 997.1, a bird decided to leave a nice welcoming gift on my passenger side fender. After I gave the bird, the bird, I searched for any touchless car wash near me to wash it away before it can damage the paint.

The one I went through didn't have tracks either. Just the automated water jets and rainbow colored soap.
Old 03-20-2018, 11:02 PM
j beede
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The up side is... if your headliner and carpet stays dry after going through one of those high pressure washes you should be good for any "real" weather you encounter. To the OP: is your 997 back up to full power?
Old 04-12-2018, 11:29 AM
Mzsaad
Instructor

thanks for all the replies. yes 997 is back to normal after a day in the garage. I m getting coils and plugs replaces. thanks for the input folks.
Old 04-12-2018, 08:40 PM
Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

From years of quarter car washing engines, I found that the best method to resolve a no start due to water in electrical connections besides waiting a day, is simply pull the connector and liberally spray with WD40. The WD40 will displace the water and it should start right up. Now whenever I spray off the engine, I make certain to have a can of WD40 close by.

Quick Reply: Car Issue After an Automated Car Wash