Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the most fun 997 cabrio?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2018 | 07:55 PM
Montecarlohomme
Track Day

Default What's the most fun 997 cabrio?

Greetings everyone. I am a lapsed Rennlist member from years ago, long time lurker, and lapsed owner of a few 911s. I also own a few Maranello monsters and I'm a journalist who occasionally writes about and so gets to review nice cars. I think this board is fantastic and I have a dilemma.

I sold my 996 TT S coupe manual a year ago because it was great but not fun enough. I'm looking for a replacement, with a bit of extra budget to put in, and I have my family's blessing so long as it's a convertible.

I would drive this car a few sunny weekends a year, that's all, which makes no sense but lots of fun things don't..

my question is, what do I buy for the fun factor? 996 is a bit plasticky for me and I don't want anything older. (I had older 911s when I was less old myself). My memories of 997 TT is a car that's faster than 996 but no more fun..maybe I'm wrong.

GTS 2 cabrio? TT cabrio manual? TT S cabrio PDK?

Or or am I barking up the wrong tree- are all these just too competent and complete to be fun cars, and should I just buy the Gallardo my small child hankers after?

I appreciate there are some similar questions here already but this is specifically about a cabrio. I'm not too worried about transmission type.

any advice welcomed.
Old 03-16-2018 | 11:33 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

I have a C2S PDK cabrio, but I wouldn't turn down a TTS PDK cabrio, if somebody wanted to give me one! However, I have to say if I had the money, I'd buy an Audi R8 Spyder (or it's Lambo brother). I've never driven anything else quite like them.
Old 03-17-2018 | 03:55 AM
Racetwin2
Three Wheelin'

To me the GTS cabrio is a fantastic choice. 400+ hp and lowest std chassi SPASM, it has widebody despite that it's 2WD. I don't remember if it has the LSD as std but I suspect many has it as option.

The GTS has many good choices available for improving exhaust sound. X-pipes etc.

You come a little bit closer to a GT3 (I know it's not a GT3) but more practical and not as extreme with the big wings etc. Perfect even as a daily driver or for carving the curves in the weekend.

Of cause you will not have the turbo torque but you have a great driving machine for active driving.

Edit: Read a bit more and SPASM and LSD are both options even on the GTS. Either as a sports chassis option:

"030 - PASM sports chassis - 20mm" where you get both SPASM and LSD.

I think option P17 is the LSD as stand alone.

Last edited by Racetwin2; 03-17-2018 at 05:12 AM.
Old 03-17-2018 | 06:07 AM
FZP
Instructor

Interesting dilemma. Define fun. I'd written a lengthy response and realised I didn't really understand the question. In the summer the wife wants a new car and all she wants is an MX5. I keep saying M3 E90, 997 cabrio Or 981 Boxster. It's not her idea of fun. Her idea of fun is the MX5.
Old 03-17-2018 | 07:35 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Wife has an orange Gallardo spyder that she purchased for herself in 2010ish. I don’t think she will ever sell this car. For a fun weekend car, it checks all the correct boxes. If truly want true super can fun and exotic feel, sound and looks, Gallardo. If want cheap operating costs and something practical with a back seat, Porsche turbo cab . . . i.e., if you have another car for day to day driving . . . like a Porsche turbo . . . the Gallardo Spyder would be a weapon of choice for weekend fun or those days you just want to feel like you are in a race car.

Look for LP570-4 Spyder.
Old 03-17-2018 | 07:36 AM
Montecarlohomme
Track Day

It's very true, fun is subjective..I guess I mean a car that will provide feedback and enjoyment even when not pushed. That feels alive at low speeds. A lot of new cars are just too competent. I'd say that of the 991. But everyone has a different sweet spot. I love MX5s but my wife will only permit me to buy a car like a 911, high performance.

R8 is an interesting idea.

There isnt much much of a price difference here in the UK between 997 GTS and Turbo. But the Turbo, fine car though it is, doesn't quite meet my criteria for occasional fun blasts.

Racetwin2, Does the the sport suspension make a big difference to GTS? I have not driven one without. There is an interesting looking C2 GTS cabrio on sale here but while it does have sport chrono it doesn't have SPASM or LSD. Are they must haves, without them I guess suspension is same as Carrera S?

does the GTS have any differences to its steering set up? I remember it felt sharper than Carrera S but may be wrong.

By by the way I am quite neutral about PDK v manual, unless anyone thinks (for reliability reasons) I should avoid PDK?

all your advice much appreciated
Old 03-17-2018 | 08:14 AM
Montecarlohomme
Track Day

Doug - we posted simultaneously. Thanks, that's very interesting. Question for another forum altogether, but is the E-gear in the Gallardo reliable?

My daughter wants me to get a Lambo. I have a Ferrari 430 Spider manual but am selling because it's just a bit highly strung - amazing fun, but just slightly too hyper for me. I drove a Performante Spider and loved it.
Old 03-17-2018 | 08:57 AM
Racetwin2
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Montecarlohomme
It's very true, fun is subjective..I guess I mean a car that will provide feedback and enjoyment even when not pushed. That feels alive at low speeds. A lot of new cars are just too competent. I'd say that of the 991. But everyone has a different sweet spot. I love MX5s but my wife will only permit me to buy a car like a 911, high performance.

R8 is an interesting idea.

There isnt much much of a price difference here in the UK between 997 GTS and Turbo. But the Turbo, fine car though it is, doesn't quite meet my criteria for occasional fun blasts.

Racetwin2, Does the the sport suspension make a big difference to GTS? I have not driven one without. There is an interesting looking C2 GTS cabrio on sale here but while it does have sport chrono it doesn't have SPASM or LSD. Are they must haves, without them I guess suspension is same as Carrera S?

does the GTS have any differences to its steering set up? I remember it felt sharper than Carrera S but may be wrong.

By by the way I am quite neutral about PDK v manual, unless anyone thinks (for reliability reasons) I should avoid PDK?

all your advice much appreciated
It's similar suspension (not identical I think) but lowered further than the Carrera S with the SPASM so you get a more planted ride. Looks is ideal imo as the stance and clearance to the fenders is just right. You can get the same with H&R or Eibach but now it's included if it's the sports suspension package.

Main differences are (if I got all right):
The higher power by the Powerkit 355-385->405 hp.
Centerlock wheels
Many high level option as std
Widebody despite rear wheel drive
Alcantara interior std
More aggressive ride than Carrera S

Edit: Here is more on the GTS:

https://www.google.pl/amp/www.motort...-gts-test/amp/

And another one

https://www.google.pl/amp/s/www.carm...s-2010-review/
Old 03-17-2018 | 09:23 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Montecarlohomme
Doug - we posted simultaneously. Thanks, that's very interesting. Question for another forum altogether, but is the E-gear in the Gallardo reliable?

My daughter wants me to get a Lambo. I have a Ferrari 430 Spider manual but am selling because it's just a bit highly strung - amazing fun, but just slightly too hyper for me. I drove a Performante Spider and loved it.
Depends upon with whom you speak on egear or pdk. Some say reliability issues, some don't. I think both are sufficiently durable for what they are. Italians are more costly to maintain.

I drove an R8 manual on Monday. Thought about purchasing it as the price was right, but thinking I will pass. R8s can be pretty expensive as well with chronic and expensive shock issues, engine out A/C repairs depending upon year, water pump and etc. No free rides. You gotta pay to play and the exotics are true childhood toys that make you feel special and have all of the sights, feels and sounds that that naturally makes you grin from ear to ear.

German cars are a bit bland and sterile comparatively. Huge trade off is practicality over personality.

- Do you want that hot, perfect body blond that wears skimpy G-string lingerie around the house and constantly bends over to pick stuff up . . ., but is high maintenance, likes Luiboutins and every guy, everywhere, is always hitting on her, lusting over her and wanting to keep her away from their wives' lest they will be paying for makeovers and new wardrobes . . .

- Or, are you cool with Mary Anne that has a cute face, decent bod with a little pudge because she never hit the gym, but she cooks, cleans, never complains and instead of guys young and old drooling over her, they always refer to her as awesome, sweet and constantly tell you "you got a good one."

I tend to go for door number one . . . married a hot Russian Blonde as well . . .

If you like door number one with a bit of practicality and reliability thrown in, ditch the 430 and the Gallardo and buy a 458 Spyder. I wish I had my 458!
Old 03-17-2018 | 09:41 AM
FZP
Instructor

I'm also based in UK. It sounds like budget isn't an issue so I'd consider a 964 of some description as they're not over tyred like the 997's. Enough power to make it interesting yet not so much that that you find you're lifting off at 5k rpm because you're well into 3 figures.
Failing that a GTS Cab would be a great choice.
It sounds like the car you choose will be one of those where you'll take a car for a test drive and just click with it.
R8 v10+ was highly disappointing for me. I expected more.
Old 03-17-2018 | 10:53 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by FZP
I'm also based in UK. It sounds like budget isn't an issue so I'd consider a 964 of some description as they're not over tyred like the 997's. Enough power to make it interesting yet not so much that that you find you're lifting off at 5k rpm because you're well into 3 figures.
Failing that a GTS Cab would be a great choice.
It sounds like the car you choose will be one of those where you'll take a car for a test drive and just click with it.
R8 v10+ was highly disappointing for me. I expected more.
Lol, you think a R8V10+ is disappointing, but recommend a 964 over that and a 997???? I just wrung out a lowly V8 4.2 R8 on Monday and comparing that crappy little V8 R8 to a 964 is like comparing a roller coaster with 200 foot drops and a bunch of inversions to the little train that could thingie roller coaster at Disney for kids 5 and under. The R8 V10+ is a beast and has super car numbers . . .

I have had a couple of 964s (94 3.6T, 91 Turbo and a 90 Ruf C2 built out to 3.8 with a Lenz system) and I can safely say I am not tempted to back, but actively looking for another 997.2 in GTS trim.
Old 03-17-2018 | 10:54 AM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

If you got rid of a 996 turbo coupe to attain more fun, I don't see that going with a 997 turbo cab as moving you closer. Even a GTS cabrio may not.

However, a 996/997 Carrera S coupe with some attention to its suspension .. and an E90 M3 cabrio might fit the bill. You won't come out badly on the cost involved. And you won't compromise your fun car in order to meet the family requirement.

40k on the 911
35k on the m3 cabrio..

That might well put you further ahead than trying to get your thrills from a compromised 911. The cost for a GTS cabrio or 997 Turbo cab are going to encompass that same 75-85k. I haven't had a "single car solution" work out in the past. I'm still put off by my fun car being compromised to fit in with other goals.
Old 03-17-2018 | 10:16 PM
larrysb
Racer

I'm happy with the PDK C2S 997.2 Cabrio. I'm coming from a 2015 SL400 that I leased. I really, really liked the SL400. I've driven all of the R231 SL's, from the 400/450 to the SL65 AMG. Honestly, out of that lineup, I'd pick the SL400/450 with the twin turbo V6 every time. The only other one I'd consider is the SL65 with the V12.

I want to have the top down as many days as possible. And a roadster in my thinking is about enjoying the drive. It just doesn't need gobs of power, it just needs enough to be fun and still be light and nimble. I'd be pretty happy with the regular 997.2 Cabrio too. The S has a bit more grunt to it and the wheels and tires are nice.

Also, buying it used means I'm not worrying over it. I'm just driving it, absolutely everywhere and as much as I can. No worries over miles or road dirt or whether it is going to rain or not (other than putting the top up!) .
Old 03-17-2018 | 10:52 PM
dgjks6
Drifting

To answer the original question, what's the most fun 997 cab, the answer is the one in my garage.

And no, you can't have it.
Old 03-18-2018 | 09:47 AM
Montecarlohomme
Track Day

Budget is around what it takes to get a good GTS or 997 TT cabrio..doesn't stretch to Gallardos of the same condition, and I don't really want to buy an older Gallardo.

It's true that the definition of fun is very subjective, but I still appreciate all the replies. I had a 964 and other Porsches of that era in the 90s, and while they are great, don't want to go back there. BMW M cars of the last 15 years or so just don't do it for me in terms of steering feedback. I liked the steering on the 997, though recall thinking at the time the GTS was more engaging than, say the TT S. Steering is a reason why I'm not considering a 991. I don't really get along with electric steering in general.

My DD is a C63 AMG wagon with the 6.2 V8, which is pretty engaging, and the reason I got rid of the 996 TT S was that it wasn't sufficiently more fun than my DD. It sounds like I may feel the same about a 997 GTS although the cabrio would help; but any other thoughts very welcome.

Quick Reply: What's the most fun 997 cabrio?